I would like to adress further the point raised by Caustic Logic.
Should we apply reasonable skepticism to what we are being told and the rebels?
Of course.
There is a point however when this skepticism is no longer reasonable but do seem to be thinly veiled bias. I'm nt trying to shut out any debate on this issue, I believe I have stated clearly that the outcome of this intervention, even if it suceeds, may not be positive on mid to long term. I do not claim to have extensive knowledge of the rebels, their cohesion (or lack of), nor that they will institute a democratic paradise if they win.
Now allow me to quote your post:
About the regime willingness to comply with UN resolution 1970 and international critics:
Says articles in the media.
- Says Kadhaffi in his speeches, do you not remember that just before the intervention the regime said several times they were going to attack Benghazi with "no mercy"? Of course he could just be blowing hot steam. However
- Says the events that were reported: Some days ago, insurgents were in several cities in the West. They were apparently pulled back to East, as Kadhaffi troops were going in direction of Benghazi.
Ever since the regime get ahold of itself, he pushed back the rebels, claimed to retake cities (and did so in several cases), and all was conducted by force.
In a response to LGR (which I may find and link if you want so), a Libyan spokesperson was reported the 22 March to have said that the regime claimed Misurata "3 days ago" (19, 18?) and that they were currently purging "terrorists elements" in the city. Let's say it is true, for the purpose of this discussion: is it reasonable to infer than taking a city and hunting terrorists elements were done by force and imply some sort of offensive action?
If you do have facts that seems to point out that the regime was willing to not use force and not stomp the opposition, please do provide links, I am of course willing to discuss it with you.
If you do bring up the Chavez mediation, please let me know if the regime followed on this beyond "accepting it".
I'm looking at the Benghazi situation and the supposed breaking of the cease-fire at the moment, vis-a-vis Benghazi. His government swore they weren't attacking the city ayt all, only heading there.
Heading there to do what? Sightseeing? What purpose other than aggressive could motive heading further down towards enemy lines?
Unless I am mistaken, you do not say when this statement was made. I ask because it could help with the point below.
Apparently someone was shooting something around there. The government insisted it was the rebels shooting each other to try and "bring in the West." I can't see ruling that out - some hard-line fanatics willing to kill a few with random shelling to panic the West into its intervention, right away.
You can believe so, but the only source you have for this is the Libyan governement itself, I gather. While it does seem reasonable to apply skepticism to rebel reports, why would you not do the same for what the regime says? You cannot rule out that it was all some sort of elaborate false flag, but is it any less plausible that the regime is continuing to fight? It's not like they are very adamant about respecting their cease-fires as well, announcing it twice in 3 days, and mixing it with bellicist statements.
There are no photos of this attack and more importantly no photos or any other evidence coming close to proving any Libyan forces were even near the city. None. (that I've seen yet).
If by chance the statement of forces heading towards Bengazhi were barely a few days before the 19 March, wouldn't it make it plausible that the Libyan army was somewhere in the region of the city?
Besides, I point you
there. Just do a research for the pictures by Goran Tomasevic of Reuters. Many of them are descibed as dated of the 20 March, "along a road between Benghazi and Ajdabiyah".
The French army also reported having engaged and destroyed armored vehicles on the 19 March.
Now of course, you could always say that:
- The photo description is incorrect.
- The journalist lies/is mistaken.
- The French army lies/is mistaken.
- Any other infos from the rebels that could confirm this are muddy/biased/manipulated/outright fake.
- This is all an elaborate setup by the rebels: instead of using tanks they may salvage for military uses, just plant them there to be destroyed by the Western forces.
Is what I listed impossible, strictly speaking? Of course not.
Does it constitute "reasonable skepticism"? I'm not sure.
As far as I can tell, I feel pretty safe in saying that around the 18-19-20, mechanized forces of the Libyan Army were in the region of those rebel-held cities. Can I prove to you without a shadow of doubt they were taking offensive action against Bengazhi? Maybe not.
But I refer you to the previous answers: As you said so yourself, forces were "heading" to Benghazi,
forces "claimed" Misurata (this is dated to the 23 here but I did read it on the 22), does that not strike you as a tad contradictory with the decision to "stop all military actions" announced by Libya foreign affairs minister on the 18 (please correct me if needed)?
I think what is vilified is inconsistent and arbitrary action, rather than action that is based on any generally-applicable principle.
Some in this thread do vilify the action in itself, which is their prerogative, but I cannot agree with some of the arguments presented.
I said in another thread I was more than willing to admit than the rationale behind this action is not applied consistently, and that there are some glaring double-standards.