• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

New UFO Video

Kess

Thinker
Joined
Aug 23, 2002
Messages
193
On the UK news (Channel 5) they just showed a new film clip showing a quite convincing UFO.

I think they said it was shot by a TV cameraman. He was filming an airliner passing overhead when a dark pencil-shaped thing shot across the sky at phenomenal speed. The odd thing is that the object passed behind a cloud, which would seem to rule out camera artifacts or an insect flitting past the lens.

Anyone else see this? Any rational suggestions?
 
haven't seen it, but I do have a question.

The clouds the object goes 'behind', are they white, brightly lit clouds? If so that opens the possiblity of light bleeding around the edges of the object. What happens is an object in front of a brightly lit background, the light can obscure the edges of the object. In the case of small or thin object they can be blured out entirely by the light.

This was seen in the Moon Hoax conspiracy theories. The brightly lit white space suits would cause the black crosses on the camera lense to appear to go behind the astronaut, giving fuel to conspiracy nuts.
 
Marc said:
The clouds the object goes 'behind', are they white, brightly lit clouds? If so that opens the possiblity of light bleeding around the edges of the object.
I know what you mean, and yes the clouds were white. The "object" also only clipped the edge of a cloud, so only a bit of it was actually obscured which supports your theory (in fact I think it was only "behind" the cloud in one frame - they showed it in slow motion and it moving so fast (apparently) that it was only in the picture for 6 or so frames).

I've seen it on two separate news programmes now, so I guess it's doing the rounds.
 
Is this TV camerman claiming to have seen something himself, or did he just find it later on examining the footage?
 
The Bad Astronomer said:
It wa s abird or insect. This is another case of the so-called "Roswell Rods", which are birds or insects which look weird due to the video frame rate in the footage.
I think you're probably right - it's a shame that none of the "experts" interviewed by the news seemed aware of this phenomenon/explanation.

I'd like to see the frame where it appears to go behind the cloud again though...
 
It cracks me up when people use the term "UFO" When I was young, it was explained to me that "UFO" meant Unidentified Flying Object. It doesn't mean, green little men in flying saucers. Unless of course, someone changed the meaning of it, and didn't tell me. It just means an object flew, and the witnesses of the event were unable to identify what the object is.

UFOs happen all the time.

Edited to add:

When people ask me if I believe in UFOs I say "Yes! I do!"
 
Kess said:
On the UK news (Channel 5) they just showed a new film clip showing a quite convincing UFO.

I think they said it was shot by a TV cameraman. He was filming an airliner passing overhead when a dark pencil-shaped thing shot across the sky at phenomenal speed. The odd thing is that the object passed behind a cloud, which would seem to rule out camera artifacts or an insect flitting past the lens.

Anyone else see this? Any rational suggestions?

Sounds like one of those so called "ROD" UFO's. The current theory on those is they might be some kind of cephalopod that can move through the air at phenomonal speed. This has already been discussed in another thread. http://66.192.47.137/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8099&highlight=rods
 
Re: Re: New UFO Video

chessmanskeptic said:
Sounds like one of those so called "ROD" UFO's. The current theory on those is they might be some kind of cephalopod that can move through the air at phenomonal speed.
You mean "the current woo-woo theory."
 
The Bad Astronomer said:
It wa s abird or insect. This is another case of the so-called "Roswell Rods", which are birds or insects which look weird due to the video frame rate in the footage.

...which is of course the apparent source of the 'paranormal event' in one Carlos Swett's tape of Sept 11...but of course, he rejects that theory quite vehemently.
 
Charlie in Dayton said:


...which is of course the apparent source of the 'paranormal event' in one Carlos Swett's tape of Sept 11...but of course, he rejects that theory quite vehemently.

Lets not bring the idiot Carlos into this. I for one wish he would just go away.
 
i hope the video gets played here in australia, i like UFO videos.

p.s. i have retired from the "carlos swett affair" for ever, and my headaches have stopped, soon i will move onto solid food again.
 
It's a bird... it's a plane...

Well, it could be Superman. Has anybody considered that??

It's probably a bird. But then the whole story would be, well, dull, wouldn't it? "Oh, look, I took video of.... a blurry bird."
 
Purple Tentacle said:
i hope the video gets played here in australia, i like UFO videos.

p.s. i have retired from the "carlos swett affair" for ever, and my headaches have stopped, soon i will move onto solid food again.

Funniest post today :D. I say we vote Carlos off the island once and for all.
 
I have a friend that was a part-time camera man who shot a clip of "somthing" going past the camera and it look like it goes behind a hill about half a mile away. It's only in 6-8 frames (12-15 fields) if I remember corectly. It is quite odd looking and with the movment of the camera it looks sure looks like it travels really fast but..... When we removed the camera shake with a computer it turns out that it looks more like a big bug. I have the images some where if anyone wants to see them.
 
I wish they would invent a camera that had infinite focal range with an incredibly fast shutter speed. Many of our problems would be solved.
 
I wish they would invent a camera that had infinite focal range with an incredibly fast shutter speed. Many of our problems would be solved.

I vaguely remember some experiments done about 10 years back with some kind of grating - you place it in front of the lens, take your picture, and because of the grating a computer is then able to extract a near-infinite depth perfectly focused image.

Only saw it working in black and white but it looked interesting.

David
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom