• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

More atheist bashing by elected officials

I'm not even an Illinois residence, and I expressed my disgust at her comments:

Ms. Davis:

Allow me to preface this communication by saying that I am not an Illinois resident; however, I am a proud member of this nation's atheist community. Just this weekend, I was in Lincolnshire at a gaming convention. If I had known then that, earlier that very week, you had made hateful and bigoted remarks directed at Mr. Rob Sherman and other non-theists like us, I would have not bothered coming to a state which would elect someone with your attitude as a representative. I was planning to attend a similar convention in Rockford this November, but it seems that as long as you hold office in Illinois, I am going to have to forgo contributing so much as a dime to your state's economy if I can help it.

I will not dignify the rest of the paranoid dispersions you cast on atheists during your foul tirade with a critique. (e.g. "What you have to spew and spread is extremely dangerous..." "...it's dangerous for our children to even know that your philosophy exists!" "You believe in destroying!") However, need I remind you of the oath you swore when you first took public office? I believe you swore an oath to "defend and protect the constitution of the United States." Now, if I recall correctly, the very first amendment of that document clearly states:

‘Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”

Mr. Sherman has every right to be an atheist. Mr. Sherman has every right to speak out on issues that pertain to the issues of church and state. Mr. Sherman has ever right to "petition the Government for the redress of grievances" when he feels that the state is going down what he feels is the wrong path. In light of these facts, how dare you tell Mr. Sherman "Get out of that seat . . . You have no right to be here!" It not only reveals your bigotry, but it betrays your oath to protect the rights of free speech of your fellow American citizen, even--indeed, especially--one who does not agree with your religion.

Sincerely,
Mark A. Siefert
 
Last edited:
I was just a bit curious what may have prompted Davis' comments. There were mentions of an old church building she thought should be preserved, and she kept talking about Sherman's lack of interest in keeping guns out of schools. The subjects I noticed in the audio clip seemed unrelated to her outburst.

It makes more sense for the subjects you mention to trigger something like that. What's the minute of silence thing?

ETA: I looked it up myself, and it seems to be a pretty silly conflict. Not exactly something worth fighting legal battles about, but not getting this upset about either.
The gun comment was red herring. It is saying your priorities are skewed which has relevance, but it was not relevant here unless there was some law allowing guns in schools that needed changing.

There was prayer in many pubic schools before the infamous Madalyn Murray O'HairWP got involved. They prayed in class rooms, at sports events, at graduation, at assemblies. In the South and in the Bible belt no one noticed that was not appropriate for a public school. O'Hair managed to get a lawsuit heard by the Supreme Court which eventually ruled that prayer in public schools amounted to state sponsored religion which is unconstitutional. So prayers in school were outlawed. In the backlash, some schools decided to have "a minute of silence" so students could pray if they wanted to. It's usually no big deal. But there are still many places where it is obvious this is still encouragement to pray and that is state sponsored religion.
 
And not only that, Lincoln was born on February 12, 1809, in Hodgenville, Hardin County, Kentucky

So there.
 
Here's the email I sent.
Dear Rep Davis,

Having heard your unprofessional outburst to Mr Rob Sherman because he does not share your religious views I am appalled. As an elected official, one would think the US Constitution meant something to you even if you are a state rep and not a federal rep. You are aware, I hope, that there is a Constitutional principle called the separation of church and state?

Does someone really need to remind you about the importance of protecting minority rights?

You should be ashamed of your conduct and you owe an apology to those of us who have just as much right to our beliefs as you do to yours. Regardless of your objections to the actions Mr. Sherman seeks legal redress of, to imply that somehow it was harmful for my child or any other child to be exposed to the view that magical beings in the sky are myths is wrong.

Shame on you.
 
Every moment of every day I get closer to moving to another nation-state. If only there was one that wasn't socialist, cold most of the year, and full of guerrillas.
Agreed. Come join us. If an elected official started spouting this kind of carp here, he or she would be drummed out of office right quick.
 
I am the president of one of the chapters of Americans United for the Separation of Church & State in Illinois, where this event took place.

Rest assured that now that I know about it, we are going to be looking into these despicable comments by Rep. Davis.

Trust me folks, this is just the beginning of this fight. Davis has stirred up a hornet's nest. :mad:



I'm glad I was able to help, by bringing this up. I'm Canadian, so I probably shouldn't go writing her myself, but I'm glad you guys are stepping up to do something. There's a sort-of saying here in Canada, that what the US does today, Canada will do in 10 years. So by forestalling idiots like this in the US today, you might be helping us stop the spread of them into Canada in a few years.

Keep up the good work!
 
Yep, pretty dumb and short-sighted. It sounded like she let her emotions get the better of her. Surely it doesn't take a lot of thought to see that the same laws which protect her rights to follow the religion of her choice and to speak freely about that religion, apply to Sherman too. That might not seem so important when your religion is in the majority, but some day she might come to appreciate such protection.
 
And not only that, Lincoln was born on February 12, 1809, in Hodgenville, Hardin County, Kentucky

So there.

She said "the LAND of Lincoln". I presume she meant the USA, rather than the state of Illinois.

Interesting to hear her work herself up from "I'm trying to understand" to her final tirade, in the complete absence of input from Sherman.
Call me a sceptic, but I don't think she was trying to understand at all.
I think she just "opened her moo and let her belly rumble" , as we say in Scotland.
 
Time for me to play the devil's advocate, I guess. :)

Can we really be sure Davis was talking about atheism? Sherman himself actually asked the most important question - "What’s dangerous, ma’am?" - for which he received no answer. My first impression was that she did attack atheism, but now that I know more of the context I'm not so certain. I think she perceives Sherman as an anti-theist and that she is attacking that philosophy. Justified or not, that would make most of the things she says make a lot more sense.

She still has no right to tell him he should get out, but I'd like to see her explain this.
 
Last edited:
Land of Lincoln

While, yes, Lincoln was born in Kentucky, he spent most of his adult life in Illinois, including representing it in congress. "Land of Lincoln" is the Illinois state official nickname or something similar (we're also "The Prairie State," in a case of advertising gone awry.)
 
There was prayer in many pubic schools before the infamous Madalyn Murray O'HairWP got involved. They prayed in class rooms, at sports events, at graduation, at assemblies. In the South and in the Bible belt no one noticed that was not appropriate for a public school. O'Hair managed to get a lawsuit heard by the Supreme Court which eventually ruled that prayer in public schools amounted to state sponsored religion which is unconstitutional. So prayers in school were outlawed.

Prayers in school weren't outlawed - prayers organized and/or led by employees of the school were outlawed. Students can pray all they want as long as they don't disrupt instruction.

As to the issue Sherman was making a statement about, I believe it had to do with state funds that were supposed to go to restore a damaged Chicago church building that somehow ended up going to a private school affiliated with the church instead.

Surely it doesn't take a lot of thought to see that the same laws which protect her rights to follow the religion of her choice and to speak freely about that religion, apply to Sherman too.

You wouldn't think so, but that insight seems to be lost on many Americans.
 
Last edited:
There are more developments on this issue. First, after contacting AU National about it, they got back to me and said they were very disturbed about Rep. Davis's comments. They are planning on responding, and I'll let everyone know what they do in the days to come.

In addition, Eric Zorn (the columnist who broke the story) has a follow-up column in Wednesday's Chicago Tribune about this...

Davis' anti-atheist tirade goes national

In addition, this has even gotten recent coverage by Keith Olbermann on MSNBC where he called her the day's "Worst Person in the World"...

Today's Worst Person in the World: Rep. Monique Davis

Stay tuned :)
 
It's pretty cool that someone can insult atheists, and a prominent media figure comes out and condemns her for it. That would not have happened in my childhood.
 
Agreed. Come join us. If an elected official started spouting this kind of carp here, he or she would be drummed out of office right quick.

Hell, religion is such a big issue in politics here that our local M.P here could be an atheist, a christian or an animist, and no one would know or care.
 
The issue in question at the hearing was an effort to get the state to pay for the restoration of an old (pardon that, those of you from the rest of the world, excepting Australia, of course!) Baptist Church. You can hear here trying to move it from a religious issue to an historical one at the start of the excerpt, but she was apparently already pissed off and read to fire.

Besides the fact that the chair didn't seem to think anything untoward had occurred, the media also didn't pick it up. I believe it occurred last week, and only the Chicago paper's blog carried it. I googled about it early this afternoon (Wednesday), and only the blog and a couple of exact copies at other sites were listed. I would think the media would jump on this, though I imagine it would be weighted on the woman's side, pursuers of the buck as they are.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom