jasonpatterson
Philanthropic Misanthrope
I had a very sharp student who wouldn't accept a written demonstration of this, so I wrote an excel spreadsheet and did this process something like thirty million times. It picked a random door for the prize, had a contestant pick a random door as a winner, etc. It then decided whether you'd win by staying or switching and totaled up the frequencies at the end. It worked out exactly as expected 1/3 vs 2/3 for stay vs switch. It was no great surprise, but for anyone who wanted more trials using an unbiased system, there ya go, I did 30 million of them. (As I recall I had to keep resetting the worksheet I did it in and adding up the results separately; would excel even let you make 30 million rows?)
I'm not sure why it didn't work for you and your grandson ynot, but I do know one way in which your solo method is flawed (though it wouldn't have changed your 21 trials by much.) If you are throwing out the results where you accidentally discard a red card in your Monty Hall role, then you're decreasing the frequency at which wins by switching will occur (since those can only occur when there are both a red and black card available, and half of the time you'd expect to ruin the test by discarding a red.) You can never eliminate a test in which winning by staying happens, as this only occurs when there are two blacks available for discard. I understand why you want to do it, but it invalidates your method.
You could do this much more quickly solo by pulling a card and checking it. Say that the first X attempts are going to be switches ahead of time. If you pick a card and it's red, then a switch will result in losing regardless of which you discard as Monty. If you pick a black, switching would have won, since you'd have had to discard the remaining black card in your role as Monty.
The next X attempts are going to be stays. If you pick a red card, you won, if you pick a black card, you lost.
Do this a bunch of times and calculate the win/loss frequency for each method and it ought to work out, assuming fair cards and randomness and the like.
I'm not sure why it didn't work for you and your grandson ynot, but I do know one way in which your solo method is flawed (though it wouldn't have changed your 21 trials by much.) If you are throwing out the results where you accidentally discard a red card in your Monty Hall role, then you're decreasing the frequency at which wins by switching will occur (since those can only occur when there are both a red and black card available, and half of the time you'd expect to ruin the test by discarding a red.) You can never eliminate a test in which winning by staying happens, as this only occurs when there are two blacks available for discard. I understand why you want to do it, but it invalidates your method.
You could do this much more quickly solo by pulling a card and checking it. Say that the first X attempts are going to be switches ahead of time. If you pick a card and it's red, then a switch will result in losing regardless of which you discard as Monty. If you pick a black, switching would have won, since you'd have had to discard the remaining black card in your role as Monty.
The next X attempts are going to be stays. If you pick a red card, you won, if you pick a black card, you lost.
Do this a bunch of times and calculate the win/loss frequency for each method and it ought to work out, assuming fair cards and randomness and the like.
Last edited: