• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

MLK Hug Statue Controversy

The idea of just the arms being used to portray the hug seems okay, the problem is that the sculpture follows the arms all the way to the back, and it is the back that ends up looking like a love sausage.
 
It almost like somebody did a wierd abstract statue, and then tacked on it being about MLK just to sell it.
Call me a philistine, I don't care. I long ago decided that alleged intellectuals..or intellecutual wannabes, are often full of crap.

I think you are probably correct. It would be less weird without the bit of back included. At least it would look more like a hug. As is, you from at least a lot of angles you can only see two hands grabbing some oblong thing that doesn't look like arms or a back.
 
He had a dream...that one day, his memorial would be judged not by the quality of its artistry, but by the celebration of his Johnson.
 
The dick\turd kind of looks like a brown Shrieking Eel from The Princess Bride.
Your impression correlates with mine.
When I first saw the images of the sculpture in the news, my impression was of a person wrestling with a large catfish, or eel, or just a large slimy fish.

A poor work of art IMO. I agree with Prestige from his earlier post- statues meant to honor and preserve are best when they realistically represent the visage of the honoree.
 
I'm firmly in the "don't know, don't care" camp on it. What and who people put their dick in is irrelevant in my morality unless a law is being broken.
Also unless the dick-possessor has made a platform out of moral authority and the place where they put their dick constitutes hypocrisy.
 
And yet you're the one who brought it up. In positive terms, no less.

I brought it up because I know it's a subject the right gets their panties in a bunch about, much as they did with the real Rock, Jack Johnson, many years earlier.

Noticing it doesn't mean I care about it.

Also unless the dick-possessor has made a platform out of moral authority and the place where they put their dick constitutes hypocrisy.

Yeah, but fairly minor in the scheme of things. Guys like Falwell Jr are hypocrites, but it pales into insignificance against promoting the sky fairy in the first place.
 
Also unless the dick-possessor has made a platform out of moral authority and the place where they put their dick constitutes hypocrisy.

Well, in this case he was a Christian Reverend. A great deal of his authority derived from that.

On the other hand, hypocrisy doesn't make people wrong. Thomas Jefferson owned slaves, didn't make the statement, "All men are created equal" wrong, just makes TJ a hypocrite.

We make too much of hypocrisy these days. The most effective way to avoid hypocrisy is to have no standards worth keeping. You'd never be a hypocrite, but you also be a pretty ****** person.
 
I brought it up because I know it's a subject the right gets their panties in a bunch about

Nobody in this thread had their panties in a bunch about it, except maybe you.

It did get me thinking, though. I guess the assumption is that his marital infidelity doesn't really matter to his activism. But now I'm wondering if that's true.

Now I'm wondering about the young men and women who were close to him at the time. Who saw him as a role model. What lessons did they learn from his adultery? Did any of them perhaps come to believe that being a moral leader in public excused a certain amount of scumbaggery in their personal life?
 
Nobody in this thread had their panties in a bunch about it, except maybe you.

Nope, I was trying to be funny. Never works if you have to explain it.

Seriously, what people do with their genitals is fine by me until it becomes an illegal act.
 
Literally the first thing that came to mind when I saw it were the much iterated cartoons I'm sure many are familiar with, of someone grabbing their buttocks with their head up their arse.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom