• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

[Merged] Immortality & Bayesian Statistics

Status
Not open for further replies.
tl:dr version for Jabba.

That we live on, at all, through our descendants, is a blessing. Enjoy it and stop with this nonsense. There is no there there.

Just for practical purposes, this is extremely good advice. I happen to have children, and agree, but also note that in our society we can also "live on" through what do in life, kids or not.
 
Just for practical purposes, this is extremely good advice. I happen to have children, and agree, but also note that in our society we can also "live on" through what do in life, kids or not.


AkhenatenSmile.gif


Indeed​
 
I don't have kids either, but have done a few things that I'd like to hope folks would remember. Ozymandias is apropos of the ego that started this thread.
 
Jabba, do you understand now how human senses of self do not come from nowhere, but from a chain of biological causality?
 
All dragons do have wings. But there are no dragons. But if there were dragons, they would have wings. Ever since my motorcycle accident this has made more and more sense to me.

Not so fast, there, Sparky!

If there were dragons, some of them would not have wings.

http://listverse.com/2008/06/17/8-types-of-dragons-you-have-never-heard-of/

...but I know what you mean about some things making more sense after the accident. Been there, done that, have the titanium jaw.
 
Last edited:
My original intent was to point out that there are more ridiculous discussions to be had than the one we've endured these last months, but it's backfired badly.

Winged/wingless dragons is an eminently more sensible topic than Essential Bayesian Mold.
 
Last edited:
My original intent was to point out that there are more ridiculous discussions to be had than the one we've endured these last months, but it's backfired badly.

Silly Pharaoh (may you post forever!).

There is no bottom. You should have took the blue pill...
 
Last edited:
6279

6297

6320

6321
Dave,
- I wasn't sure what problem you had pointed out "yesterday."
- How's this? You're saying that reproducing your DNA after your death would not resurrect you.

Jabba, please link to a given message you cite in your post. Haven't you noticed everyone else does?



Dave,
- Let's try this. Would you be resurrected?
No.
Remember the definition of consciousness?
 
I cry, I weep. I leave this thread for a few days and return to find it has got even more frustrating (and I did not think that was possible).

Jabba, don't reword your misconceptions, it's not going to help you. Instead, do some learning about consciousness. The resources are available to you, there is no excuse for ignoring them.
 
Dave,
- Let's try this. Would you be resurrected?

It depends on your definition of resurrection. The traditional, mystical meaning of has no place in a discussion of the scientific model (which is the stage we still seem to be at), so we'll have to go with colloquial meanings that might make some sense.

If you destroyed me and recreated me (like a Star Trek transporter), then yes, I would be "resurrected" in a sense. And if you didn't destroy me, and still created a new me, that would still be a resurrection in the same sense. But it would be a different "me". But it would still be a me in any meaningful or useful sense. It would be identical to the original me. (At least at the moment of creation.)

And since that meaning of "resurrect" is the only one that makes any sense in this context, I'm forced to answer your question with a yes. If you meant something else, then you were asking a meaningless question.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom