• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

[Merged] Immortality & Bayesian Statistics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think the shark has a "self?" Does it see itself as a separate entity distinct from other sharks? A "self" identity? If so, isn't it also immortal?
In a way. Sharks have existed for millions of years largely unchanged by the simple expedient of always going "Nom, nom, nom, bonk, nom, nom, nom, etc" successfully.

I may incorporate this into my philosophy of life.
 
Pixel,
- An hour, for me, is quite a long time. And looking quickly at the length of the video, I thought it said 1:54, rather than 1:01:54...

- Anyway, I did watch a little, but her topic was "living without free will" and I figured it would take awhile to get to the "illusion of self" part. Could you quote or paraphrase what she says about the illusion of self? Or maybe, just direct me to the part you're referring to?
Free will is part of the illusion.

How much time have you already spent on this thread? Just watch the video. It answers your questions, and explains the classic experiment that proved that our commonplace notion of "self" is an illusion.
 
And, Jabba, note what I said there:

This is not philosophical speculation. This is not one worldview among many. This is an empirical demonstration that the common notion of "self" must be false, that self is an illusion.
 
Pixel,
- An hour, for me, is quite a long time. And looking quickly at the length of the video, I thought it said 1:54, rather than 1:01:54...

- Anyway, I did watch a little, but her topic was "living without free will" and I figured it would take awhile to get to the "illusion of self" part. Could you quote or paraphrase what she says about the illusion of self? Or maybe, just direct me to the part you're referring to?

This is unbelievably rude. Shame on you.
 
It's a Shibboleth Shark™. Anything's possible.

I already knew that I was taught to pronounce Hebrew words with a th not an t, and I would never fit in with the young Hassidim (that is not the only problem I might have there).

But now, I really feel like an outsider...
 
I already knew that I was taught to pronounce Hebrew words with a th not an t, and I would never fit in with the young Hassidim (that is not the only problem I might have there).

But now, I really feel like an outsider...

Aww.

<opens door>Shh come on in. You'll be fine.
<closes door behind you>See? Nobody minds at all.
 
This thread has been very informative to me. Just today I learned that:

1. Jabba will ask for proof, then refuse to read or to see it when it is actually provided to him.

2. It would take less time to read a textbook than to watch a short video.

3. It would take less time to contact, drive to, and take a statistics professor to lunch than to watch a short video.

4. It would take less time to participate in 144 pages in a Discussion forum than to watch a short video.

5. Our time is considered by Jabba to be far less valuable than Jabba's time (repeatedly seen before in this thread).

6. Thinking about immortality may be Jabba's hobby and represent his strong conviction but Jabba has no interest in reading or seeing any evidence that is relevant to his theory if it goes against his theory. This is particularly interesting to me, because if someone publishes something, anything, questioning my ideas, I must read it immediately! I have to find out what they said! Maybe they are right, in which case I want to know why, or they are wrong, in which case I want to know why.

7. Jabba will use and even introduce words which he later claims to not understand.


And yet he thinks he is the "best man in the fight." Go figure.
 
Dear Jabba,

Two "How dare you"s within one day! Not to mention all the posts that have been called "impolite" by the others here. Quite an achievement! You might want to examine what in your posts seems to annoy people so much, and change it.

One idea is just to go back and read the other peoples' posts and respond to them, rather than just ignore them. Especially you might consider not asking other people here to do your work for you, then ignoring it when they do. Unless you don't care about how your posts look to others, or are amused by their reaction.

Oh, I almost forgot: any non-debunked evidence or proof of your theories?
 
Susan Blackmore addressing Jabba's notion of self:

Pixy,

- I watched the whole video, and have to admit that there's a lot in it that I don't really understand. I wish I could ask Dr Blackmore some questions.

- In regard to free will, I accept that what most of us think of as free will doesn't make any sense. Unfortunately, I can't really remember the variations on that standard, but I ended up thinking that they didn't really help...
- Though, I doubt that one needs to know much about neuroscience in order to realize that free will doesn't seem to make sense. If every nuance of every event is caused, we're just rifles doing what the previous events have us doing.
- For us to enjoy life, we need to do what will lead to enjoyment over the long term. All I can do is hope that my conclusions and decisions -- based upon my DNA and lifetime environment -- will be functional. But then, even that hope in me was determined at the big bang, or before...
- Unfortunately(?), I still tend to believe in free will even though it doesn't make sense.

- I'll get back on topic (the illusion of self) when I come back.
 
Or perhaps, in a desperate attempt to stay on topic . . .


[qimg]http://www.yvonneclaireadams.com/HostedStuff/JabbaShark2.jpg[/qimg]​

I raise a glass of Year V in homage to your genius, O Pharaoh.
 
- Unfortunately(?), I still tend to believe in free will even though it doesn't make sense.


Well, there's your problem. Evidence, empiricism and reason don't change your thinking. Let me ask this: If you refuse to be moved by evidence, why create a thread in which you purport to want to change people's minds by providing evidence? Why should anyone be swayed by your argument when you cannot be swayed by any argument?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom