• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

McCain: What's this "LGBT"?

Tsukasa Buddha

Other (please write in)
Joined
Sep 10, 2006
Messages
15,302
I was browsing the Wikipedias, and I eventually came across the "Political Positions of John McCain". I looked at the LGBT section and found this:

In 2004, McCain voted against the Federal Marriage Amendment, arguing that each state should be able to choose whether to recognize same-sex marriage.[124][125] He supported the failed 2006 Arizona initiative to ban gay marriage.[126]
In December 2007, McCain said that the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy should remain in place, citing reports from military leaders that "this policy ought to be continued because it's working."[127]
When asked if he supported civil unions of homosexuals, McCain said: "I do not."[128]

Linky.

I was under the impression that he favoured civil unions. So I looked at the link provided and it only got worse:

The candidate may have thought he had taken his most hostile question. But the high school students at Concord didn't seem to be suffering from any lack of enthusiasm or guts as they queried the presidential candidate in their midst. Another student asked McCain what he would do on "LGBT" issues and on "workers' rights?"

McCain, paused, confused by the question. Someone in the crowd shouted out "lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender." "I had not heard that phrase before," McCain said of LGBT. (It's a mark of the different planets the candidates from the two parties live on that McCain said this. Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and John Edwards have long lists of "LGBT" supporters they've sent to reporters across the country).

McCain then explained that while he opposed discrimination, he also felt marriage was between a man and a woman and noted he supported the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy on gays in the military.The student, a junior named William Sleaster, then persisted, asking the candidate if he supported gay marriage or civil unions. McCain said "I do not." The student, standing at microphone across from the stage where McCain was speaking then declared "I came here to see a good leader. I do not."

Linky.

And this was just in September.

I've been waiting to see his response to the gay marriage decision in California, but he still sticks with his vague "I oppose a Constitutional ban unless I decide to support it because of activist judges" rationale.

Though it is hard to divine meaning from his answering "I do not" to an either/or question.

He has stated that he supports some vague relationship benefit type thingy... but it is kinda confusing.

He could make my voting decision very easy.
 
Gay civil rights issues seem to highlight the differences between Senator McBush and his much younger opponent.

He is perfectly in sync with many people in the 70 to 95 age range. I think he has the geriatric vote more than any other demographic.
 
unfortunately, the geriatric vote often comes out to vote in much higher numbers then the rest.

TAM:)
 
When McCain was growing up, they thought homosexuality was caused by satanic possession and bad patriotism.
 
He probably thought it was a sandwich. Easy mistake.

:duck:

Actually, I think his position is pretty clear. It's more of a States rights issue with him. He doesn't mind if the States discriminate in some ways against LGBT individuals/couples, but believes the Federal Government (except for the military) should stay out of it. He's been very consistent with this message. He's personally opposed to same gender marriage and civil unions.
 
No offense to you homos, but I am more worried about the price of food and gas in this election cycle. Obama or Hillary will be more in tune with what I think about homo issues but they are pro-subsidy, anti-drilling, and anti-refining.

You guys can just wait another 8 years to get married and be as miserable as a shrinking percentage of straight people who actually bother to get married. Unless Obama/Hillary get some common sense on food/energy I might actually turn out and vote for McCain or whoever they replace him with if he dies before the election due to old-man-disease.
 
LGBT sounds like a special purpose landing craft used in amphibious operations. Something like

LGBT: Landing Gun Boat, Tug

LGBT: Landing Gas Boat, Tank

(LST: Landing Ship, Tank for reference.)

I once served on an LSD, which was not a "Landing Ship, Drugs" but a "Landing Ship, Dock."

DR
 
No offense to you homos, but I am more worried about the price of food and gas in this election cycle. Obama or Hillary will be more in tune with what I think about homo issues but they are pro-subsidy, anti-drilling, and anti-refining.

No offense taken, as clearly none was intended.

There are indeed many more very important issues this year. I'm thinking I might vote for the candidate with the fewest lobbyists on his campaign staff who are also working for foreign governments and/or large corporations.

I'm especially not interested in candidates whose energy policies have been prepared by energy industry lobbyists.

The fact that Senator McBush has nothing new to offer on civil rights issues is not the reason why I find him lacking.
 
I'm especially not interested in candidates whose energy policies have been prepared by energy industry lobbyists.

As opposed to the factory-farm lobby who wants food crops to biofuel subsidies? No matter which position on bio-fuels a candidate takes, his opinion will be inline with some lobby. Don't be fooled.
 
I think McCain is pretty good on energy policy. And remember there are many "green" energy lobbyists as well as traditional oil lobbyists. Why even use wind energy? In 5-10 years solar panels will be able to capture 10 times the amount of light they can now which translates to a LOT more power from smaller panels.
 
Why even use wind energy? In 5-10 years solar panels will be able to capture 10 times the amount of light they can now which translates to a LOT more power from smaller panels.

I'm all in favor of solar power, but the wind still blows some times after dark. There is no reason we have to choose between one or the other.

I also think we should be building a lot more nukular power plants. Then we can use the depleted Uranium for artillery shells to kill people in the next oil-rich country that we suspect might think about wishing they had WMDs.
 
With rear docking.

Ouch!

I also think we should be building a lot more nukular power plants. Then we can use the depleted Uranium for artillery shells to kill people in the next oil-rich country that we suspect might think about wishing they had WMDs.

This is the best idea I've ever heard.;)
 
Stop focusing on the TV moment, the sound bite, the off-guard comment, the expectation that your political candidate knows everything you do and if he doesn't he is a moron.

Your political climate would benefit greatly.
 
LGBT sounds like a special purpose landing craft used in amphibious operations. Something like

LGBT: Landing Gun Boat, Tug

LGBT: Landing Gas Boat, Tank

(LST: Landing Ship, Tank for reference.)

I once served on an LSD, which was not a "Landing Ship, Drugs" but a "Landing Ship, Dock."

DR


I prefer to think in sandwiches: Gay BLT.

McCain can go to hell.
 
I was starting to consider him the best candidate, then the "Tiger Woods" thing and now this are reminding me why I don't vote republican.
 
unfortunately, the geriatric vote often comes out to vote in much higher numbers then the rest.

TAM:)

Don't make assumptions about the old people. Some of today's senior citizens are the same people who were working for JFK's campaign. And more than a few "conservative" old people rear up and bite a candidate when he starts being anti-gay, because nice little old ladies sometimes have gay children and grandchildren. It's rather funny to watch the face of someone who took one step too far along the stereotype road only to find that Grampa unexpectedly loves God, guns, and the gays.
 
Stop focusing on the TV moment, the sound bite, the off-guard comment, the expectation that your political candidate knows everything you do and if he doesn't he is a moron.

Your political climate would benefit greatly.

I can think of three things that would greatly benefit your political climate, but nobody cares enough about Norway to bother reading them.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom