• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Linux experts - who's this guy HAL?

Lolly

discombobulated
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
5,338
I've been using debian Lenny with KDE desktop and I'm messing around (on different computers, fresh installations) with a view to upgrading to Squeeze.

In Squeeze with KDE 4, the Dolphin file manager shows my Data partition. If I click on it, it refuses to mount it. It seems from googling that this is some kind of bug. But, in the course of messing about with it, I tried to unmount it at one stage and it said that it was not mounted by Hal and the device to unmount was not in /media/.hal-mtab. It also wouldn't mount it at one point, permission denied, because it was listed in /etc/fstab. So it seems that Hal and fstab are alternatives of some sort?

Can somebody give me a bit of a clue as to what this Hal thing is and how it relates to fstab? I can't remember coming across it when I sorted out mounting and unmounting my Data partition in Lenny. (Did they call it that because it's just like the computer in 2001 "I'm sorry, I can't do that, Dave...." )
 
Hardware Abstraction Layer. :)

It's a whole lot better than "Heuristic Algorithm".
 
Last edited:
More precisely, hald provides automatic mounting of removable media like CDs/DVDs or flash drives. KDE expects that things it can unmount were automatically mounted by hald.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom