• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Kentucky guy nearly eaten by a python

William Parcher

Show me the monkey!
Joined
Jul 26, 2005
Messages
27,657
Kentucky pet store worker escapes death by python

It was lunch time for Captive Born Reptiles' 20-foot, 125-pound python, and pet store owner Terry Wilkins had just stepped into the animal's enclosure to feed it.

But it quickly became apparent that the snake wanted something more. Before anyone knew what was happening, the animal bit Wilkins and began coiling itself around his head, neck and torso — a python's chosen method of killing its prey.

"Please, the snake is wrapped around his neck ma'am," came a frantic 9-1-1 call from a woman inside the northern Kentucky store. The call was published by CNN Tuesday. "He's got blood all over him. Oh my god, please. Please."....


The photo shows a Reticulated Python. They get big, but a 20-foot specimen would be rare. The story has some contradictory elements and his daughter says that it didn't happen the way that the police and press are saying.
 
Kentucky pet store worker escapes death by python




The photo shows a Reticulated Python. They get big, but a 20-foot specimen would be rare. The story has some contradictory elements and his daughter says that it didn't happen the way that the police and press are saying.

I was just a bit skeptical on first reading the news story, in that if the python were really trying to kill him I would have thought he would be dead before the police got there, unless they had an unusually quick response time.

Nonetheless, big snakes can be dangerous and should be handled carefully. I have no snake phobia, but I don't think I would ever want a big python as a pet.
 
A snake that size should never be handled by one person solo, especially when they're hungry. We don't even handle our 6-foot boas solo when they're hungry, but always with someone else present.

With a big retic, I'd expect to have 2-3 people hands-on, not just standing by. They aren't one of the calmer sorts.
 
I had a Burmese that was around 8' long bite my (ex) gf on the foot and wrap around her ankle. Slight moment of panic, but she was never in any danger. We just got her foot into the bathtub and filled it with water until the snake decided it wanted to breathe.

Another time it got out of it's enclosure at night and came to visit me in bed. Didn't bite me but woke me up by slithering across my neck.

I've read very few stories (maybe 2?) of adults being killed by captive pythons.
 
This will keep happening until the US gets serious about implementing guy control laws!


:boxedin:
 
With a big retic, I'd expect to have 2-3 people hands-on, not just standing by. They aren't one of the calmer sorts.
Agreed. Reticulated pythons and Anacondas are not to be trusted. I had two 8-foot Boa Constrictors that were super docile and could be handled by anyone. But I never would take any risks at feeding time because then all bets are off.
 
With confidence and experience, even massive one-eyed pythons can be handled safely and to everyone's satisfaction. It's just a matter of practice, and learning to relax.
 
A snake that size should never be handled by one person solo, especially when they're hungry. We don't even handle our 6-foot boas solo when they're hungry, but always with someone else present.


Which typically means she handles the food, while I'm the one who gets my hand bit trying to get a hungry boa out of its enclosure. :) Fortunately, a few drops of vodka around the mouth will get them to let go fairly quickly.

With a big retic, I'd expect to have 2-3 people hands-on, not just standing by. They aren't one of the calmer sorts.
Agreed. Reticulated pythons and Anacondas are not to be trusted.


I'd qualify that somewhat. Anacondas can be trusted; they can be trusted to always be aggressive and short-tempered, especially when feeding. But that actually makes them fairly predictable, and therefore easier to handle if you're experienced and know how to deal with a very large, heavy, aggressive snakes.

Reticulated pythons, however, cannot be trusted. They are highly unpredictable. A Retic can be as docile and easy to manage as a Burmese python 9 times out of 10, so that it's easy to forget how mercurial they can be, and be taken off guard when they suddenly decide to get aggressive for no apparent reason. Of course, that's true enough for most snakes, but Retics in particular.

If you want outright mean, and lightning fast, you can't beat a Green Tree Python. Those are definitely not snakes that are amenable to being handled, and have very, very long teeth for their size.

Personally, as much as I tend to want to avoid too much government intervention in people's lives, I'm all for prohibition or heavy regulation of giant snakes (any heavy-bodied snake that consistently gets over about 6-7 feet). They're simply too dangerous, and very few people have the resources or training to deal with them once they get that big. Herp societies and rescue agencies are commonly overloaded with Burmese pythons who simply got too big for their owners to handle, or even find sufficient space for. And the most common reason people keep Burmese pythons is because "snakes are cool", and the bigger the snake, the "cooler" it is. The normally docile nature of Burms doesn't hurt, and serves to disguise just how difficult they can be to handle once they get to their full adult weight and size. Further, too many people have the misconception that if you feed it less, it grows less; and what they end up with is a malnourished, perpetually hungry, and thereby more aggressive animal that they quickly find themselves unable to manage.
 
Last edited:
When any pet snake gets into feeding mode, they are scary in their focus of purpose.

I have a 6' corn snake, that is a machine when he smells a mouse. Scary how intent on feeding they get, and how docile they are at non-feeding times.
 
Just keep it out of Florida. We have enough of the damn things.

That is another issue with big snakes. Some owners just turn them loose when, for whatever reason, they decide they don't want them anymore. In colder climates, this is probably a death sentence for the snake, but in Florida, some species have established breeding populations and become a nuisance.
 
A snake that size should never be handled by one person solo, especially when they're hungry. We don't even handle our 6-foot boas solo when they're hungry, but always with someone else present.

With a big retic, I'd expect to have 2-3 people hands-on, not just standing by. They aren't one of the calmer sorts.

Thankyou - top tip. I have seen some of your posts that I do not agree with but on this one I am happy to take your word for it. This forum is great for finding out arcane stuff.
 
This was a big story in Canada a couple of years back:

2013_New_Brunswick_python_attackWP

The RCMP arrested Jean-Claude Savoie, the python's owner, in Montreal on February 5, 2015, but did not immediately file formal charges against him. He was later charged with criminal negligence causing death.

The case went to trial in April but I have not heard of a verdict as yet.
 
‪#‎Thanksgaymarriage‬
This is what happens when the state of Kentucky doesn't back up Kim Davis. The snake* from Genesis strikes again!



*Ya know, the word "snake" wasn't used in the Bible.
 
That is another issue with big snakes. Some owners just turn them loose when, for whatever reason, they decide they don't want them anymore. In colder climates, this is probably a death sentence for the snake, but in Florida, some species have established breeding populations and become a nuisance.

Between non-native snakes and lion-fish my new home has had about enough of the exotic pet trade.
 
So... the zombie apocalypse starts with Graham Chapman...
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom