What I hoped to accomplish with the post was to shift the conversation from "torture obviously works because it is capable of returning a single true positive along with a sea of type 1 errors" to a question of accuracy. I don't really care how you or Ziggurat thinks it ranks against other methods of information gathering, nor what you think the "right" way to torture someone should be, so long as you continue to consider the signal to noise ratio while doing so.
I don't actually know what the signal to noise ratio is. I suspect it varies by individual and the torturer could decide whether the technique is helping or not. This would mirror other policies where the relevant expert gets a say in the specific application.
But there's more than just raw accuracy involved. With consilience, you use every method you can think of - statements from other prisoners, documents, intelligence gathering, statements made without torture and with, circumstantial stuff. It all gets pooled together to try and draw a coherent picture.
Ideally, the entirety of the process yields the best signal to noise ratio, not any one technique standing alone. My only objection is evaluating torture only as a standalone test for veracity, when I don't think any testimony can meet that standard.
The better question is then whether or not having torture in the stew is worthwhile. That's much harder to answer. You need a control condition and hopefully blinding.
It's a mess the other way round too. If I torture someone and they tell me what I want to know, I
still can't say torture "works," at least not exclusively - I might very well have gotten the same information with a bribe or a threat instead.