• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Joe Walsh is scum

Not the best way to phrase the idea he's talking about, but he hardly said she's not a true hero. One could certainly reasonably infer that, though, from what he said. Not great.
BTW: It sounds even douchier hearing it. He's not the arbiter of class or propriety. Jesus what a dick. Even if we grant the premise that Duckworth is lacking in humility and playing off her sacrifice. It's just incredibly douchy to even suggest that it in some way distracts from that sacrifice.
 
What are this fellows chances in the next election?

Walsh won by 291 votes in 2011, but had little support from the GOP.

The 8th district was redrawn by the Democratic-controlled Illinois state legislature so Walsh is suing.

I'd guess Walsh would be behind but I can't find any polling info.
 
That is exactly what he said and what that means.

Try to spin it as "he misspoke" all you like, but it does not change what he is.

I'm not spinning. You have to infer it from what he says. If he said "Tammy Duckworth is not a true hero," then I'd agree that he said it. But he didn't. It was a douchey thing to do but he didn't directly say what the thinkprogress guy said. He hinted at it, he implied it, and folks inferred it.

I'm starting a thread in FM about the fund-raising thing, just FYI.
 
I'm not spinning. You have to infer it from what he says. If he said "Tammy Duckworth is not a true hero," then I'd agree that he said it. But he didn't. It was a douchey thing to do but he didn't directly say what the thinkprogress guy said. He hinted at it, he implied it, and folks inferred it.
And that's fine, but what are the other possible inferences? I could be missing it. Wouldn't be the first time I did that. :)
 
I'm not spinning. You have to infer it from what he says. If he said "Tammy Duckworth is not a true hero," then I'd agree that he said it. But he didn't. It was a douchey thing to do but he didn't directly say what the thinkprogress guy said. He hinted at it, he implied it, and folks inferred it.

I'm starting a thread in FM about the fund-raising thing, just FYI.

That's not hinting at it. Just because the entire thought is not in a single sentence doesn't mean he didn't say it. He flat out states that true heroes don't talk about their service and he also stated she constantly talks about her service. There is no inference needed. He said it.
 
Found my previous thread on this issue:

Joe Walsh is still technically my Representative, even though with redistricting he won't be after this next election. His opponent will be Tammy Duckworth, a disabled Iraq war veteran. Now, he has been getting criticism for this section here:

“I have so much respect for what she did in the fact that she sacrificed her body for this country,” said Walsh, simultaneously lowering his voice as he leaned forward before pausing for dramatic effect. “Ehhh. Now let’s move on.”
“What else has she done? Female, wounded veteran … ehhh,” he continued. “She is nothing more than a handpicked Washington bureaucrat. David Axelrod, Rahm Emanuel just picked her up and dropped her into this district.”

Linky.

But I think the best line is a bit before that:

In many ways, I’m the challenger. I’m the guy who sleeps in my office, I’m the guy who goes at the establishment on both sides. Turned down my benefits. She’s been the one working in Washington. She’s a bureaucrat. I’m a fighter.

:dl:

Everyone agrees we were redistricted so that the Democrats could squeeze him and a few of his colleagues out. But this is just sad.

Linky.
 
Since the OP didn't link the actual quote, it's from an Elk Grove townhall meeting here.

Actual words on youtube, posted by thinkprogress.





Not the best way to phrase the idea he's talking about, but he hardly said she's not a true hero. One could certainly reasonably infer that, though, from what he said. Not great.

Yep it is only people who act like he says she act that he does not consider heroes. He never actually says she isn't. It is just that she has a trait that means she is not a hero.
 
WALSH: Understand something about John McCain. His political advisers, day after day, had to take him and almost throw him against a wall and hit him against the head and say, “Senator, you have to let people know you served! You have to talk about what you did!” He didn’t want to do it, wouldn’t do it. Day after day they had to convince him. Finally, he talked a little bit about it, but it was very uncomfortable for him. That’s what’s so noble about our heroes. Now I’m running against a woman who, my God, that’s all she talks about. [pretty long pause here] Our true heroes, it’s the last thing in the world they talk about. That’s why we’re so indebted and in awe of what they’ve done.

http://www.amazon.com/Faith-My-Fathers-Family-Memoir/dp/0061734950

The book was published in '99, I don't recall that McCain had a reluctance to talk about his service or his struggle when he ran for office, and ftr, if somebody ran down his service or sacrifice I'd consider them a lowlife scumbag too.

I love how Walsh thinks he has a right to determine someone's status as a combat vet by their reticence in discussing their experiences.

Maybe someone knowing Walsh wouldn't waste their breath talking to him.

I know I wouldn't.
 
Walsh himself; What's his service record?

http://www.rollcall.com/members/30884.html



So, Mr. Walsh never risked his lilly-white ass for his country, but thinks that he is superior to her?

Not in MY America, Mr. Walsh.

I've met more non-serving self appointed military experts than you can shake a stick at, and they come in every flavor - Democrat, Republican and Other.

For some reason, the TP seems to have some real beauts in their tent, and this Walsh isn't the worst I've encountered, believe it or not.
 
I've met more non-serving self appointed military experts than you can shake a stick at, and they come in every flavor - Democrat, Republican and Other.

For some reason, the TP seems to have some real beauts in their tent, and this Walsh isn't the worst I've encountered, believe it or not.

Brother, you should have been here in the LongtabberPE days.

That guy was in every conflict from the Korean War up until last Thursday.

Search some of his old posts in the Bigfoot threads. You'll laugh.
 
I see she has the following decorations;

Purple Heart (obviously)
Flying Medal
Commendation Medal

The last two generally are for heroism and meritorious conduct. So he's even technically wrong.

The Comendation Medal (Army, anyway) is almost never for heroism. It is almost always awarded for a level of meritorious conduct that doesn't qualify for a more prestigious award. I received 11 of them in 25 years.

Whats her name was probably heroic during her service. It isn't unreasonable to describe wounded veterans as heroic - although I know hundreds that did nothing particularly brave while managing to get wounded.

It is possible for a veteran to over use his/her status as a veteran. I have no idea if this lady is guilty of such a thing. Military service, by itself, isn't particularly noteworthy in my opinion.

Someone posted that they don't believe America honors its veterans enough. I disagree completely - although I allow that my opinion might be overly influenced by my location.

All that being said, I suspect this Wlash dude is a scumbag.
 
From wikipedia;

"Duckworth lost the lower part of both legs from injuries sustained[18] on November 12, 2004, when the UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter she was co-piloting was hit by a rocket propelled grenade fired by Iraqi insurgents. This made her the first female double amputee from the Iraq war. [19] The explosion also "almost completely destroyed her right arm, breaking it in three places and tearing tissue from the back side of it."[20] Duckworth received a Purple Heart on December 3 and was promoted to Major on December 21 at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center, where she was presented with an Air Medal and Army Commendation Medal.[18]"
 
The Comendation Medal (Army, anyway) is almost never for heroism. It is almost always awarded for a level of meritorious conduct that doesn't qualify for a more prestigious award. I received 11 of them in 25 years.

Whats her name was probably heroic during her service. It isn't unreasonable to describe wounded veterans as heroic - although I know hundreds that did nothing particularly brave while managing to get wounded.

It is possible for a veteran to over use his/her status as a veteran. I have no idea if this lady is guilty of such a thing. Military service, by itself, isn't particularly noteworthy in my opinion.

Someone posted that they don't believe America honors its veterans enough. I disagree completely - although I allow that my opinion might be overly influenced by my location.

All that being said, I suspect this Wlash dude is a scumbag.
Good post. Some very good points. There is nothing so sacred it can't be questioned and I think when it comes to our soldiers it's easy to let skepticism and critical thinking take a back seat to patriotism. I remember how easily I feel for the narratives the military offered us about Jessica Lynch and Pat Tillman because because we want those narratives. Though I should note that the false narratives had nothing to do with their status or bravery. This is wandering. Okay, I guess the point I wanted to make is that putting one's self in harms way is in and of itself heroic and that deserves perhaps a bit of deference. Not that you disagree. Damn, this post is not my finest hour. Anyway, yes, I agree with you.
 
The Comendation Medal (Army, anyway) is almost never for heroism. It is almost always awarded for a level of meritorious conduct that doesn't qualify for a more prestigious award. I received 11 of them in 25 years.

Whats her name was probably heroic during her service. It isn't unreasonable to describe wounded veterans as heroic - although I know hundreds that did nothing particularly brave while managing to get wounded.

It is possible for a veteran to over use his/her status as a veteran. I have no idea if this lady is guilty of such a thing. Military service, by itself, isn't particularly noteworthy in my opinion.

Someone posted that they don't believe America honors its veterans enough. I disagree completely - although I allow that my opinion might be overly influenced by my location.

All that being said, I suspect this Wlash dude is a scumbag.

I think you and I can both remember a time when veterans pretty much kept it quiet.

"Waving the Bloody Shirt" (think Bo Gritz) doesn't make somebody any points with me, but I'll admit to my prejudice against anyone who didn't serve mouthing off about someone who did, and even more so if the veteran in question has paid the price to the extent that Duckworth has.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom