• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Jimmy Carter at 94

Who gives a ******
Some people do, you know. But what the list makes me think of is, they were/are both kind of incompetent, but Trump is a turd, and while I might be OK with a competent turd, having an incompetent one has no upside, as far as I can tell. Except that maybe if the U.S. survives Trump it will indicate resilience or something.
 
Carter ran against the Washington Establishment but never had the coat tails to replace it with his people. He was trying to be what Regan was. Regan could both run against and work with the Washington Establishment.

Carter was also hamstrung by the hollow force left to him after Vietnam. He had no good cards to play in the Iranian hostage crisis. The force he inherited could barely deter the Russians in Europe.

I will always respect him for going to visit Three Mile Island during the height of the crisis, knowing what he did as a nuclear physicist. That was a level of leadership you just don't see anymore, from either party.

A lot of the blame for the Eagle Claw fiasco rests directly on some Carter appointees,who became obsessed with keeping a "Low Profile" for political reasons and cut back on the equipment used in the mission. In the original plan, there were helicopters in reserve in case of difficulties, but the politicos in Washington insisted on only the minimum needed for the mission. ANd the lack of helicopeters was the main reason for the mission being scrubbed.
 
Instructive of what, though?

Trump:
I like money. I’m very greedy. I’m a greedy person. I shouldn’t tell you that, I’m a greedy – I’ve always been greedy. I love money, right?​
Who gives a ******

Carter:
It just never had been my ambition to be rich.​
Who gives a ******


Trump:
His "smokin' hot wife" is wife #3. He has cheated on all his wives.​

Who gives a ******

Carter:
Has been married to his only wife for 72 years with never a hint of scandal.​

Who gives a ******

Trump:
builds to enrich himself.​

Who gives a ******

Carter:
builds to give homes to the most needy and deserving.​

Who gives a ******

A lot of people give a ****** about a lying, cheating, greedy, incompetent, immoral and narcissistic ****** destroying the integrity of the office of the POTUS. Just not you apparently.
 
A lot of people give a ****** about a lying, cheating, greedy, incompetent, immoral and narcissistic ****** destroying the integrity of the office of the POTUS. Just not you apparently.
Begs the question that the integrity of the office has been destroyed. I see no evidence of that. I think that when Trump's term ends, he'll be replaced another duly-elected president in the usual way, and that replacement will find the integrity of the office not measurably diminished by Trump's tenure.

I think Trump has serious personal and political flaws. I think he's unusual in that we've maybe never had a president whose flaws are so much on display.

But I don't think that these flaws are destroying the integrity of the office. Nor do I think they are evidence that the integrity of the office has been destroyed.

If the office were not strong enough to survive the flaws of its occupants, the nation would have collapsed long ago.
 
Begs the question that the integrity of the office has been destroyed. I see no evidence of that. I think that when Trump's term ends, he'll be replaced another duly-elected president in the usual way, and that replacement will find the integrity of the office not measurably diminished by Trump's tenure.

I think Trump has serious personal and political flaws. I think he's unusual in that we've maybe never had a president whose flaws are so much on display.

But I don't think that these flaws are destroying the integrity of the office. Nor do I think they are evidence that the integrity of the office has been destroyed.

If the office were not strong enough to survive the flaws of its occupants, the nation would have collapsed long ago.

Then I suggest you open your eyes.
 
A lot of the blame for the Eagle Claw fiasco rests directly on some Carter appointees,who became obsessed with keeping a "Low Profile" for political reasons and cut back on the equipment used in the mission. In the original plan, there were helicopters in reserve in case of difficulties, but the politicos in Washington insisted on only the minimum needed for the mission. ANd the lack of helicopeters was the main reason for the mission being scrubbed.

Also, the decision to use the Navy RH-53D, configured for mine clearance, rather than the MH-53E special ops equipped choppers. The critical failure was the ground refueling accident when a RH-53 ran into the MC-130 tanker, from which it had just refueled. Air refueling would have skipped the dangerous stop at Desert One.
 
And I suggest you open yours. Or at least describe the landscape you envision.

Why bother describing what I see? You'll only argue against it. If you can't see how Trump is damaging the integrity of the office of the POTUS, then I can't be your ophthalmologist.
 
The media loves to prop up "lovable" losers like Carter. A simple comparison is instructive: Trump has nice homes in desirable areas, his current wife is still smokin' hot, gas prices are manageable, and he has yet sell out Israel. One builds crappy little houses, and the other has his name on skyscrapers.
Also, like Trump, Carter had through his businesses conflicts of interest. Of course compared to Trump's conflicts of interests, Carter's were...

...peanuts.
 
Why bother describing what I see? You'll only argue against it. If you can't see how Trump is damaging the integrity of the office of the POTUS, then I can't be your ophthalmologist.

Goalposts? You said "destroying", not "damaging". The integrity of the office has been damaged goods for over a century at least.

Obama's missteps in Libya and Syria didn't destroy the integrity of the office. Bush's incompetence didn't destroy the integrity of the office. If Gitmo didn't do it, if WMD lies didn't do it, then what's Trump doing that destroys the integrity of the office?

If Ronald Reagan (remember Iran-Contra?) didn't destroy the integrity of the office, why are you worried about Donald Trump? If Gerald Ford (remember Operation Condor?) didn't destroy the integrity of the office, why are you worried about Donald Trump? If Richard Nixon didn't destroy the integrity of the office, why are you worried about Donald Trump?

If Warren Harding, James Buchanan, and Andrew Jackson couldn't destroy the integrity of the office, why are you worried about Donald Trump?

Do you have an argument for Trump "destroying the integrity of the office" that isn't special pleading or hyperbole? Let's have it.
 
Last edited:
Goalposts? You said "destroying", not "damaging". The integrity of the office has been damaged goods for over a century at least.

Obama's missteps in Libya and Syria didn't destroy the integrity of the office. Bush's incompetence didn't destroy the integrity of the office. If Gitmo didn't do it, if WMD lies didn't do it, then what's Trump doing that destroys the integrity of the office?

If Ronald Reagan (remember Iran-Contra?) didn't destroy the integrity of the office, why are you worried about Donald Trump? If Gerald Ford (remember Operation Condor?) didn't destroy the integrity of the office, why are you worried about Donald Trump? If Richard Nixon didn't destroy the integrity of the office, why are you worried about Donald Trump?

If Warren Harding, James Buchanan, and Andrew Jackson couldn't destroy the integrity of the office, why are you worried about Donald Trump?

Do you have an argument for Trump "destroying the integrity of the office" that isn't special pleading or hyperbole? Let's have it.

You're being pedantic again. It's what you do. No thanks.
 
You're being pedantic again. It's what you do. No thanks.

It's not pedantic to ask you what exactly sets Trump apart from other Presidents. It's not pedantic to ask you, if Watergate isn't destructive, what is Trump doing that is?

We've had bad presidents before. We've had corrupt presidents before. They didn't destroy the integrity of the office. Or if they did, it wasn't a permanent destruction, since apparently it's still around for Trump to destroy again.

"Destroying the integrity of the office" sounds like something really serious. But what is it actually? You don't have any facts to support a really serious interpretation of the phrase. You refuse to compare Trump to other bad (destructive?) presidents, to help us determine a relative seriousness for the claim.

Donald Trump is a bad president. I can live with that. Now you tell me he's destroying the integrity of the office. I cannot live with that. But you can't tell me what you actually mean by the phrase. You can't actually tell me whether it's even anything worse than what we've gotten from other bad presidents. But you still want me to accept it and agree that it's intolerable.

I was hoping to avoid having to ask you for definitions, but I don't see that you've left me much choice: What does "destroying the integrity of the office" even mean, to you?
 
Instructive of what, though?

Trump:
I like money. I’m very greedy. I’m a greedy person. I shouldn’t tell you that, I’m a greedy – I’ve always been greedy. I love money, right?​
Who gives a ******

Carter:
It just never had been my ambition to be rich.​
Who gives a ******


Trump:
His "smokin' hot wife" is wife #3. He has cheated on all his wives.​

Who gives a ******

Carter:
Has been married to his only wife for 72 years with never a hint of scandal.​

Who gives a ******

Trump:
builds to enrich himself.​

Who gives a ******

Carter:
builds to give homes to the most needy and deserving.​

Who gives a ******



theprestige just beautifully illustrated what it takes to live with oneself as a Trump supporter. You have to just stop giving a **** about everything.
 
Carter had integrity.

Donald Trump has none and destroyed any integrity left of the White House gained under Obama.
 
theprestige just beautifully illustrated what it takes to live with oneself as a Trump supporter. You have to just stop giving a **** about everything.
Well. Not *everything*. Just a lot of the stuff the hypocrites on the left insist are so very important, except when they're not.

You want a president who's too stupid to understand classified documents? Fine. Have Donald Trump. And don't come crying to me when it turns out he's too stupid to understand classified documents.
 
A lot of people give a ****** about a lying, cheating, greedy, incompetent, immoral and narcissistic ****** destroying the integrity of the office of the POTUS. Just not you apparently.

Yeah, but we survived Bill Clinton.
 
Yeah, but we survived Bill Clinton.
Bill Clinton... the president who ended up with a budget surplus (as opposed to the huge deficit). Clinton... the president who, although he was impeached, still ran an administration with far fewer scandals than Reagan, GW Bush, or Trump.

Yeah pretty easy to survive an administration like that.

(And, to bring the topic back to Carter, his administration was pretty much scandal free.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_federal_political_scandals_in_the_United_States
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom