• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

ISS Crew: Soyuz Landing Live

Olowkow

Philosopher
Joined
Oct 29, 2007
Messages
8,230
Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder, Olowkow. I had heard about this but had forgotten. Am tuning in just in time!
 
Thanks for the reminder, Olowkow. I had heard about this but had forgotten. Am tuning in just in time!

I forgot too, and just happened to be reminded by a thread about the commander's video of David Bowie's song.

It is remarkable how we have come to take this stuff for granted. That Soyuz, while really scary, has been very reliable.
 
I forgot too, and just happened to be reminded by a thread about the commander's video of David Bowie's song.

It is remarkable how we have come to take this stuff for granted. That Soyuz, while really scary, has been very reliable.

It's supposed to be quite a ride on the way down, but, yes, it's proven to be very reliable.
 
They're showing the extraction. Some comfy seats for the astronauts to help them deal with gravity again. :)

ETA: Wow, I hadn't realized the capsule was quite that cramped.

The space shuttle would have seemed a luxury ride down in a stretch limo by comparison.
 
Last edited:
I don't think I'd like being in the Soyuz.:) If I'm not mistaken, the rocket assist just before touchdown was not always part of the Soyuz on the early models. Landing was very brutal. I think I heard final rate was 0.8 mtr/sec and 1.5 on the chute just before the retro firing.

It always strikes me as very incongruous, three guys sitting in a field of grass in their space suits sipping tea after traveling hundreds of thousands of miles in a state of the art space station.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom