Point taken, but coveting implies a state of desire. If you take something that you don't really care about, then you haven't coveted. I'm not familiar with the text, does it describe God's state of mind? Did he actually want the land for his people, or did he merely give it to his people because it happened to be convenient or necessary?
Reading your subsequent posts, I see the quotes do show that he was jealous, but jealous of their worship of other gods. It seems from those quotes that he took their land from to anger and desire to punish, not because he coveted the land.
So no, he did not covet their land.
Again not to belabor the point...it is still not that important since we already agree...but just out of interest to see if this would get you to also agree to the Coveting point.
Remember I already argued that he coveted the worship other gods were getting and the status of the Canaanites gods.
In the verses from Ezekiel below it is obvious that:
- YHWH capriciously chose Israel
- He "espied" for them the land…look up the word espy and have a laugh.
- The land is "the best of all lands"….. whatever happened to Babylon, Syria, Egypt, Florence, Rome, Paris, Florida, Oregon, Brazil just to name a VERY few among a thousand other lands that are and were infinitely better
- They did not worship him and he did not punish them
- Not because he was merciful...but because he did not want the other nations to GLOAT
- All for his "Name's Sake"
Is this vanity and ostentation?
"Espying" the lands of others for his
"chosen" to glorify his name and to get them to worship him to the exclusion of their fathers' gods.
He did not choose Canaan because it was
"convenient or necessary"; he
"espied" it and chose it because it was
"the glory of all lands"….. He coveted.
Ezekiel 20
5And say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; In the day when I chose Israel, and lifted up mine hand unto the seed of the house of Jacob, and made myself known unto them in the land of Egypt, when I lifted up mine hand unto them, saying, I am the LORD your God;
6In the day that I lifted up mine hand unto them, to bring them forth of the land of Egypt into a land that I had espied for them, flowing with milk and honey, which is the glory of all lands:
7Then said I unto them, Cast ye away every man the abominations of his eyes, and defile not yourselves with the idols of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
8But they rebelled against me, and would not hearken unto me: they did not every man cast away the abominations of their eyes, neither did they forsake the idols of Egypt: then I said, I will pour out my fury upon them, to accomplish my anger against them in the midst of the land of Egypt.
9But I wrought for my name's sake, that it should not be polluted before the heathen, among whom they were, in whose sight I made myself known unto them, in bringing them forth out of the land of Egypt.
18But I said unto their children in the wilderness, Walk ye not in the statutes of your fathers, neither observe their judgments, nor defile yourselves with their idols:
ETA: Besides....what do the words "convenient" and "necessary" mean as far as an Omnipotent and Omniscient God is concerned? Could he not just Site-To-Site beam them from Egypt to Florida and New York and do away with all those bloody and wasted intervening centuries?