Wasn't John Dewey the force behind Progressive Education? But, according to Okie, he was a socialist, left wing, liberal radical - you know, all the things that make him shriek, foam at the mouth and type all in caps! Maybe all this frenetic behavior is Okie's inner conservative fighting the good fight against the evil mindworm emitted by this subversive tome that has targeted his prefrontal cortex.
I love this (necessary) conflation on libs' parts!
It's always wonderful to see them drag themselves into this minefield.
Why is it that your ideology utterly blinds you to anything else?
Serious quesiton...I'd like to know.
It's pretty obvious, by-the-by, who the truly well, let's not put lipstick on a pig, unintelligent (I din't call ya stupid! Don't run to a mod!!) libs are, by the way, in this response. The more...circumspect libs are silent, because they can see the trap this sets for them: they can rush in and shriek "Tokie is referencing a 'progressive' (LOL!) text!!!" like you two are doing, or they can remain silent, recognizing that (yikes!) reglardless of any political bent of the publisher, or of that the text itself takes, it is quite simply more difficult going intellectually (...yes, an analytical conundrum for you) than anything similar you'll find since at least the late 1960s.
That raises the obvious question: why, if it indisputably the case that the schools have not "dumbed-down" their materials, was this sort of text in widespead use in the US so long ago? Someone in here argued that kids today are "smarter" (conflating the notions that ability to operate a contemporary piece of machinery equates to "smart"--I wonder how many kids today could hitch a team to a plow?)
Of course, you cannot answer address any of this. All you can do is sit like a magpie on a wire shrieking "lookit here!! Lookit here!"
Astounding.
And, I'm pretty sure you were calling...MY intellect into question?
Tokie