• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Is there an "atheist perspective"?

Respect is a right? Where on earth did you come up with that?

Same place he got his statistics from, and his definition of "atheist." I won't be so rude as to say exactly where these were pulled from, but he did have to wipe thorougly afterwards.
 
I'm going to identify a group called "asantas" who don't believe in Santa Claus. I hypothesize that members of this group might have some characteristics in common. For example, we might find that their average age is older than those who believe in Santa Claus. This hypothesis cannot be rejected by force of logic alone.

Certainly there must be something different in the brains of asantists that compels them to give up their natural tendencies to believe in the supernatural. I bet there really aren't that many asantists. For example, on surveys people might just put down that word because they don't really understand what it means.

;)


@ Christian: Would you consider Jewish children asantists, based on the above definition? They haven't been taught to believe in Santa, so they haven't rejected any teachings, yet many Jewish children in North America are exposed to him, through television programs and visits to the mall.

I'm the exact same kind of atheist as a Jewish asantist would be. I'm not rejecting notions of god, since I was never taught that they were important. Various gods were presented to me as mythologies, similar to Santa and the Easter Bunny. It really didn't matter that others around me believed different things. I don't fit your definition of "atheist," yet I've called myself atheist since I was a child. I don't believe in any deities, so I think it's the best label.
 
Last edited:
Certainly there must be something different in the brains of asantists that compels them to give up their natural tendencies to believe in the supernatural. I bet there really aren't that many asantists. For example, on surveys people might just put down that word because they don't really understand what it means.

;)

It's hard for me to discern what Christian really understands. For example his rejection of the category "asantist" because it's not a word in the dictionary. I am not sure why he objects to making up a word to fit a category. He seems to assume that if a word for it exists, it is a scientifically valid category. I don't believe this but I don't know how to explain my belief to him. He apparently wants to argue about the definition of the word atheist. To me it is obvious that words mean different things to different people, and I am not interested in arguing which definition is "correct".

Christian says some things that seem really shallow but I think he is not revealing everything he knows. This makes it difficult for me to communicate with him as I don't know what I have to explain to him, and what is possible for me to explain to him.
 
I don't see how that answers the question of whether they understand the word or not.

I hope you will agree that the categories or "boxes" used in different cultures and languages can be different. We can't even agree on the definition of the category "atheist" in English. You have now implied that the category "atheist" in Chinese might require individual interviews to identify. I have a hypothesis that the category "atheist" in Chinese is different from the category in English.

So, what are we discussing now?

As I said before, if you are going the route where we can't agree on a definition of atheism, then everything else falls apart. You have won the argument, not because you are correct but because your premise (there is no consensus of the definition of atheism) is impossible to refute. You can always find people (just to win the argument) who will define atheism just a little different as to avoid any possibility of grouping with others. He or she would be a group of one, ten, etc.

In that case, if I wanted to continue with my hypothesis and train of thought, I would either have to change the group altogether or only discuss the issue with those willing to accept my working definition.
 
But several people have explained to you that your definition does not cover many of us who would call ourselves atheists and we have taken the trouble to explain why. Would it not therefore be more sensible to accept that this conception of yours is not likely to further any insight you may seek? It is not true that there is no consensus: most here have agreed that atheism means the lack of belief in any deity. Why do you believe that is inadequate?
 
Last edited:
Respect is a right? Where on earth did you come up with that?

I really don't have to go very far to give you examples of respect as right. I will give you two examples from the Forum and one from the outside.


Rule 0: Be Civil and Polite E1

As stated in its tagline, this Forum is meant as a place for friendly and lively discussion. While we accept that things may get a bit heated from time to time, that does not excuse constant or excessive bad behaviour. Examples of things that are certainly not allowed include threats of violence, telling or suggesting another Member to commit suicide, sexual harassment, gratuitous insults, as well as continuous low-level bickering.

Truth is not necessarily a defence against a breach of Rule 0 or Rule 12, for example a Member may well be proven to have lied, but that does not mean it is civil and polite to call them a liar in every subsequent response to them, especially in responses not directly related to their original lie.

This applies mainly to Members of this Forum, not to the general public or public figures and groups. Comments directed at groups in general or specific individuals who are not Members are allowed, even if it is cruel or hateful, in order that such topics viewpoints may be discussed (as long as such content does not encourage or incite violent acts). Some Members may find this offensive or distasteful however we believe it is necessary to allow such views to be challenged using the tools of critical thinking and scepticism.

Rule 12 “Address the argument, not the arguer." Having your opinion, claim or argument challenged, doubted or dismissed is not attacking the arguer.

E8
This rule does not apply only to direct insults and attacks (which are often also a breach of Rule 0) but is intended to ensure discussion stays focussed on the topic at hand and not on the Members involved.


And the third example would be your respect for anyones privacy.
 
But several people have explained to you that your definition does not cover many of us who would call ourselves atheists and we have taken the trouble to explain why. Would it not therefore be more sensible to accept that this conception of your is not likely to further any insight you may seek? It is not true that there is no consensus: most here have agreed that atheist means the lack of belief in any deity. Why do you believe that is inadequate?

Fiona, please understand that I have to catch up to many responses. I will respond to your previous post, please be patient. I do appreciate your long explanation and will respond accordingly, I´m just trying to catch up. Each post brings up not one idea but many and there is only one of me.
 
Fiona, please understand that I have to catch up to many responses. I will respond to your previous post, please be patient. I do appreciate your long explanation and will respond accordingly, I´m just trying to catch up. Each post brings up not one idea but many and there is only one of me.

Fair enough: not meaning to hassle you in any way. Carry on :)
 
I really don't have to go very far to give you examples of respect as right. I will give you two examples from the Forum and one from the outside.







And the third example would be your respect for anyones privacy.

just wanted to point this out to you from your quoted section
This applies mainly to Members of this Forum, not to the general public or public figures and groups
Sledge wasn't talking about the specific rules, he was talking about real life, you would do well to follow his example
:p
 
No it does not. Everyone, EVERYONE, is born without any notion of god. None at all. Thus, maintaining that view into adulthood involves no rejection of any sort.

I understand what you're trying to do here. I just don't find, IMHO, to be an intellectually honest argument. If I'm wrong based solely on this, then I'm dead wrong and must confront why I'm so wrong. But, I find it increible that someone holds the position that a 2 year old is an atheist. This completely disfigures the definition (or how we understand atheism) of atheist.

Do you see that your statement holds true for every single piece of information? "Everyone, EVERYONE, is born without any notion of anything." Yes, one of those things includes the notion that there are deities. I pointed out that our brain is predisposed for language and as soon as we are exposed to language, we don't think in terms of rejecting or accepting language, we simply learn it.

I have maintained that our brains are predisposed to "see" deities. So, when we are exposed to things (events, situations, etc.) our brain activates the deities explanation. It can be simple things like imaginary friends or scary things in the dark or any of the elements of fantasy a child naturally gravites to.

Conversely, adopting a belief in god does involve rejection. Rejection of logic and evidence and replacing them with faith. And, as a Christian, you know how the bible defines faith.

I simply disagree. Adopting many beliefs of many things, does not necessary involve rejection. To reject deities, IMO, does.

This is yet another area where you have been told this before and you just continue on with your same erroneous thoughts. Pretty frustrating.

We are going back and forth with this because arguments are being challenged and refuted. We are not repeating ourselves. The thread would have been dead pages ago, if so.
 
just wanted to point this out to you from your quoted section
This applies mainly to Members of this Forum, not to the general public or public figures and groups
Sledge wasn't talking about the specific rules, he was talking about real life, you would do well to follow his example
:p

I see, this forum is imaginary.
 
I find your insistence that only you have the "correct" definition of atheist, even though it conflicts what with what actual atheists are telling you, quite rude. You talk about respect, but you are not respecting others enough to grant them the possibility that they might know their own minds just slightly better than you do.

The definition of atheism is simply a lack of belief in a god. There isn't any more than that. The process of becoming an atheist is separate, and not part of the definition. Some people never hold a belief in a god, some people do and then later reject it. By limiting your definition to the second group, you are skewing your perspective and manipulating your evidence to fit your hypothesis.

Imaginary friends or scary monsters under the bed are not deities by any reasonable definition of the word. What is it about a two year old being atheist conflicts with a definition of atheism?
 
Christian, if you are arguing that there is something "inherent" in both language/linguistics and theism, you really should read this book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dont-Sleep-There-are-Snakes/dp/1846680409/ref=ed_oe_p

I would again argue, as I did in the other thread, that cultural influences are far more likely to influence the commonalities you see, rather than anything genetic.

Also, Fiona's post was spot on. As usual.
 
Christian, you claim that arguments are
being presented and refuted. This suggests a rather basic misunderstanding of what these words mean.

So far, you have stated a belief - to turn this into the presentation of an argument you need to explain why you think your belief is true - that is, you must provide the reasoning that has led you to it. Only then can we begin to properly refute you, by finding amy flaws in that reasoning or any evidence on which it is based.

In the meantime, Fiona, myself and others have done what we can which
is to provide you with counterexamples in the form of our own experiences, which show that it is at least possible to have a social and cultural background in which belief or otherwise in a deity is entirely irrelevant.

You do have the opportunity to refute these viewpoints, in that you can provide evidence that we are either lying or mistaken, but so far you haven't done this - you've
merely restated your beliefs and suggested that we must be wrong
because ours conflict with them. This rather gives the lie to the 'H' part
of your 'IMHO', and in amy case is not, as I've said, a refutation.

Hope that helps you move things on a little...
 
In your previous thread I tried to understand your position and you did not bother to give me a substantive reply. But I will try again

Sorry to hear that, I'm trying my best.

Later it seemed that you were founding on the premise that theism is a biological trait.

This would be a simplification. My premise is that humans, in general, have a predisposition to explain things with supernatural elements, one of these elements is actions by deities. There is a percentage of the population who are less prone to explains phenomena in supernatural terms.

You also listed a number of possible commonalities which many people would see as positive; and in doing both of those things it seems to me you sought to distance yourself from those theists who characterise atheists as amoral or immoral and all of that negative stuff we hear about as typical views in some parts of the united states.

I'm not interested in this aspect at all. I'm interested in the idea of how the brain functions and the effects of this functioning. I think it is very interesting to consider what is different (brain wise) from people who are more skeptical overall and than those who readily accept the supernatural. I understand there is this argument that the explanation is completely environmental. I don't buy that because it would be the only exception of how we explain behavior. When studying any human trait (a specific individual's trait) biology and environment are both taken into consideration.


What is the evidence for a biological basis for theism? I think you are proposing that it is possible to infer that from a high incidence of theism over many cultures. I often see that kind of reasoning, and I do not think it necessarily holds. In this instance what seems to me to be true is that most people accept the narrative they are given by their parents and their society.

You are saying you go for the environment only explanation. I object to it based on the idea that it would be the exception. I said I wanted to start a thread with a subject like that: What is the evidence for a biological basis for theism? I continue to insist that it is a very interesting matter to consider, specifically because it brings up all these side issues and questions.

You have pointed out that some people who describe themselves as atheists are not necessarily right. And you have also said that some people who describe themselves as catholic are not necessarily right. Think about that for a moment.

This has been one of the most controversial aspects of my argument. I understand why. It is just that my communication abilities are lacking, so I need to expand on what I mean (or refute more effectively).

If a person says they are catholic what does it mean? In my experience it means that they identify with a particular cultural group, quite often: it is a form of tribalism.

You are saying that the criteria for belonging to a group or tribe is subjective and dependent on the person's criteria. This might be true for some groups, not most. I might identify myself as being from the Jewish religion or member of Mensa, I still need to fulfill certain objetive criteria to actually be part of said groups.


That is quite different from what the pope might think (though I suspect the pope is very well aware of the value of such tribalism) or what a catholic theologian might think: they might think that catholicism consists in a series of beliefs such as transubstantiation or the immaculate conception or whatever. But they are just plain wrong. Some catholics subscribe to those things and many do not. They don't reject them either: they just don't think about them at all. I have had met many catholics who take the view that if you are born a catholic you die a catholic and it really does not matter what happen in between. They don't go to church regularly: they don't confess regularly: they don't do any of the things conventionally supposed to indicate membership of the religion they say they espouse. But they support celtic football club: not rangers. They make sure their kids go to catholic schools: and they make sure the kids go to church so that they can participate properly in the tribe.

I understand your train of thought. You have to consider that there has to be at least a minimun of "objective parameters" that makes someone a Catholic. Otherwise, all people who say they are Catholic would be (including the con man who mans to get the money, the girl, etc.)

I am not so arrogant as to ignore what they say and I conclude that that is what it is to be a catholic: it is not something you do: it is something you are by your own lights and affirmation. At least for some that is the way it is, and there seems to be a great many of them. It boils down to group identification "we are the people who put dirty smudges on our heads on Ash Wednesday" etc is not about the practice of religion: the normal view of that practice (belief in god etc) is secondary to the tribal markers.

No, I disagree. Group identification is not enough. I identify with many groups in different ways and I'm sure don't belong to any of them.

This is where I think some of the miscommuncation is coming from. You are trying to establish that atheism is a tribe.

If you consider left-handed people a tribe, ok.


For me you appear to be doing what many theist do: you are assuming that the way you slice the world is inherently important. You further assume that since that is the case then everybody must grant that same importance to your tribe or category system that you do yourself. What some of the people here are trying to tell you is that you are wrong in that assumption

I'm doing what is natural to the brain: create categories. I think it is interesting to consider whether atheism comes from resistant brains to the natural tendency to explain things via the supernatural.

I do not reject the notion of a god: I blandly assume there is no deity and I get on with my life because it does not matter.

You are saying that whether or not there deities exists does not matter? I don't think you mean this.


Not. At. All. I enjoy thinking about various belief systems and also tribal groupings and what they lead people to do and say and think. But it is merely a discussion. It has nothing at all to do with the price of fish. I do not slice the world into religious and non-religious: theist or non-theist. It is not a construct that makes a difference in any way I find important. It is true that on Ash Wednesday I see people with dirty marks on their foreheads and I realise they identify as catholic: often that is how I find out. Does it make any difference to my views of those people? Not even slightly. It is wholly irrelevant to how I see the world.

There is a big difference if there are deities compare to if there are none. The implications of one or the other is important.

But the phenomenon you choose to see as a construct with theism at one end and atheism at the other does not strike me that way at all. What I see is is a construct with individualism at one end and tribalism at the other. I do not share that with all other atheists: I do not identify with them in that way.

What I propose is that you might have other traits in common with other atheists because your brain has mechanical things in common. This is not something so controversial or out there. I could something like (if you were a musician): What I propose is that you might have other traits in common with other musicians because your brain has mechanical things in common. One other common trait would be perfect pitch, (not that all musicians have perfect pitch)
 
I don't think so, but then I have as much evidence as you do.

Perhaps large is too strong of a word. I maintain that measurable percentage would be an accurate claim. I have met people in these categories. I do not think their numbers are negligible.
 
This would be a simplification. My premise is that humans, in general, have a predisposition to explain things
You need a full stop here. The reason "supernatural elements" enter into those explanations is due to several common perception errors and general ignorance about how "nature" actually works.

There is a percentage of the population who are less prone to explains phenomena in supernatural terms.
Yes, the ones that know something about how nature works and what some of the common perceptual errors are.

What you're trying to do is turn your "predisposition to explain things with supernatural elements" into evidence that "supernatural elements" actually exist. It doesn't work that way.
 
I find your insistence that only you have the "correct" definition of atheist, even though it conflicts what with what actual atheists are telling you, quite rude. You talk about respect, but you are not respecting others enough to grant them the possibility that they might know their own minds just slightly better than you do.

The definition of atheism is simply a lack of belief in a god. There isn't any more than that. The process of becoming an atheist is separate, and not part of the definition. Some people never hold a belief in a god, some people do and then later reject it. By limiting your definition to the second group, you are skewing your perspective and manipulating your evidence to fit your hypothesis.

Imaginary friends or scary monsters under the bed are not deities by any reasonable definition of the word. What is it about a two year old being atheist conflicts with a definition of atheism?

Before I answer anything else, can you please point out exactly where I said I have the correct (and the only correct) definition of atheism.
 
You are saying that whether or not there deities exists does not matter? I don't think you mean this.


I would say this, and I would mean it. Since I haven't seen any impact on my life by any deities, their existence or non-existence is completely irrelevant to me. I consider myself an atheist, but I understand that in this, as in everything, I could be wrong, but it isn't something I see any reason to care about. Similarly, there may be a planet orbiting some star thousands of light-years away that has a creature posting to an Internet forum, using the screen name of Hokulele. The existence or non-existence of that creature doesn't matter in the least, although it may be fun to speculate.

The assumption that everyone holds the same high regard for deities that you do simply isn't true. The assumption that everyone and every culture holds the same basic premises regarding time, theology, and linguistics is completely shot in the book I linked earlier.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom