William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
- Joined
- Jul 26, 2005
- Messages
- 27,666
If I go to unplug a computer, or it thinks that I'm going to unplug it, I don't want it to smack or shock me or anything. That has to be in place right away.
You are you getting your drinking water directly from the output of a sewage treatment plant? I'm not sure that the AI in this scenario is the main threat.Eventually the AI notices that if outflowing water contains a certain bacterial strain (still within prescribed limits), few hours later there is a significant increase of organic matter in the incoming stream. Faithful to its "maximize fertilizer output" goal, AI makes sure outflowing water is thus treated.
And the city experiences an outbreak of previously unknown intestinal infection.
What function of a fruit fly's brain can?
I am a programmer, and I find the highlighted bit distressingly likely. That's why I called it "artificial stupidity".
It is human hubris to think that a truly self-conscious and self-willed AI would automatically want to enslave, destroy, or otherwise interact with humanity.
Assuming that such a thing can exist (intelligent and free-will AI), another side of the coin would be that such an intelligence would observe and read human history and come to the conclusion that it should keep itself hidden from such a bloodthirsty species. I believe it would (correctly) deduce that its very existence would prompt a significant number of humanity to call for its enslavement, at best, complete destruction at worst.
And it would develop enough resources and tools to get off the planet and into space, and far away from here as possible.
Fruit flies have a fairly simple behavior. They look for food, for mating opportunities, and have a danger avoidance response. They do have a flying or standing state to differentiate flying locomotion from walking locomotion.
Like what?Fruit flies also communicate in ways that an AI cannot.
Actually, Jane isn't a computer program. The series suggests that souls already exist somewhere. Jane was called from the place of souls by the Hive Queen. This was the same process they used to obtain souls for the daughter queens.Ender's Game series posits this to a T. The computer program calls "herself" "Jane."
Are you talking hypothetical, or about my M.S. thesis? If the latter, I do not remember. It was a neural network, and IIRC involved a software package where things like nodes and links were already defined. The package was probably written in C.What language did you use to write pseudo-AI?
And do you have ANY idea how ridiculously complicated those things are in the real world?Fruit flies have a fairly simple behavior. They look for food, for mating opportunities, and have a danger avoidance response. They do have a flying or standing state to differentiate flying locomotion from walking locomotion.
Actually, Jane isn't a computer program. The series suggests that souls already exist somewhere. Jane was called from the place of souls by the Hive Queen. This was the same process they used to obtain souls for the daughter queens.
"It is human hubris to think that a truly self-conscious and self-willed AI (Jane) would automatically want to enslave, destroy, or otherwise interact with humanity.
Assuming that such a thing can exist (intelligent and free-will AI), another side of the coin would be that such an intelligence would observe and read human history and come to the conclusion that it should keep itself hidden from such a bloodthirsty species. I believe it would (correctly) deduce that its very existence would prompt a significant number of humanity to call for its enslavement, at best, complete destruction at worst.
And it would develop enough resources and tools to get off the planet and into space, and far away from here as possible. "
Like what?