I see that you now are just going to repeat your irrelevant reply over and over. So there's no point in continuing this.No, that is just the most extreme form of self-sufficiency that is physically possible for a human (it still means being dependent on one's environment). It is possible for a person to be more or less self-sufficient, and the higher one climbs on the social pyramid, the less self-sufficient one becomes and the more one relies on others.
If not being paid for by one's parents is what self-sufficiency means, then it is hardly anything special or heroic.
Debatable, and I don't think that was what easycruise was referring that prompted my response. I think easycruise was talking about financial self sufficiency like those students you mention, but those Randian heroes aren't in any way financially independent from the worker's they pay; those workers are helping them make their money.
IT'S NOT TO THE EXCLUSION OF OTHER MINDS. You use your mind to evaluate what other people say and write. If it checks out, you go with it. If it doesn't, you don't, and you might even find a better way yourself. This is why I keep saying that Objectivists are not Ralph Waldo Emerson living alone in the woods. Now, rather than repeat myself a fourth time...I'm going to ask you to please re-read the previous posts if you don't see what is being said.I understand that. I just object to calling those ideal persons "self-sufficient" since they rely on so many others in so many ways. I also believe the point of Atlas Shrugged is that these people are so amazingly self sufficient in every way that society needs them more then they need society... I don't how see that can be true of heads of big industries.
I am fairly sure I understand it just fine. I just think it is huey. One's "mind" (if one insists on using such psycho-analytic terminology) contains ideas and knowledge from a large social environment. I fail to see how one can one can use their own mind with the exclusion of other minds.
Last edited: