• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Info on the French 64 Infantry Regiment

Hubert Cumberdale

Graduate Poster
Joined
Sep 18, 2008
Messages
1,141
Hello,

Recently went to the Champagne region and found a newly painted cross in a wood that read "HOUSSET Louis, Mort pour la France, 4 Septembre 1914" It also had "64 RI" on it, which I take to be the 64th Regiment D'Infantrie.

I suspect this lad got killed as part of the battle of the Marne or immediately prior to it, but am struggling to find anything on google about the 64th RI as all of the results refer to US or UK regiments with the same number.

Can anyone point me at how to find out more about this grave?

I can post a photo if someone explains how as I dont know how to get around the hotlinking ban on JREF.

Thanks.
 
Hello,

Recently went to the Champagne region and found a newly painted cross in a wood that read "HOUSSET Louis, Mort pour la France, 4 Septembre 1914" It also had "64 RI" on it, which I take to be the 64th Regiment D'Infantrie.

I suspect this lad got killed as part of the battle of the Marne or immediately prior to it, but am struggling to find anything on google about the 64th RI as all of the results refer to US or UK regiments with the same number.
Here's a source on the regiment. http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/64e_régiment_d'infanterie It indicates that it was engaged in the Battle of the Marne.
Maissin Belgique août 1914
Chaumont Saint-Quentin 27 et 28 août 1914
Première Bataille de la Marne septembre 1914.
La Boiselle octobre novembre 1914.
 
Recently went to the Champagne region and found a newly painted cross in a wood that read "HOUSSET Louis, Mort pour la France, 4 Septembre 1914" It also had "64 RI" on it, which I take to be the 64th Regiment D'Infantrie.

I suspect this lad got killed as part of the battle of the Marne or immediately prior to it, but am struggling to find anything on google about the 64th RI as all of the results refer to US or UK regiments with the same number.
Craig's link puts the 64 RI as part of the 21st Infantry Division, which in turn in the order of battle of the Marne was part of the 11th Army Corps, in the 9th Army. This map puts them just west of Chalons on September 4th.

(Nothing specific on the regiment though).
 
Thanks. The location of the grave is further north than indicated on the map - being between Verzy and Bouzy. Looking at the same map you linked to on the previous day, this would be roughly where the 21st was that day.
 
If the remains of WW1 war dead are discovered and identified now, is it the custom to mark the location of the find with a memorial cross? Are the remains not transferred to a military cemetery?

It is indeed the done thing to re-bury in an official graveyard, which makes it curious-er. Also the fact that its obviously a recent wooden cross and with fresh flowers at the base (barely visible in this photo)

oB3u9Del.jpg


Hope the hotlinking is OK. I do own the image...

Edit - OK I think I have him

Sergeant Louis Baptiste Marie HOUSSET 05-02-1883

http://www.memoiredeshommes.sga.def...ontrast=0&uielem_isinverted=0&uielem_rotate=F
 
Last edited:
It is indeed the done thing to re-bury in an official graveyard, which makes it curious-er. Also the fact that its obviously a recent wooden cross and with fresh flowers at the base (barely visible in this photo)

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/oB3u9Del.jpg[/qimg]

Hope the hotlinking is OK. I do own the image...

Edit - OK I think I have him

Sergeant Louis Baptiste Marie HOUSSET 05-02-1883

http://www.memoiredeshommes.sga.def...ontrast=0&uielem_isinverted=0&uielem_rotate=F
Yes, if you knew his birthplace, you might find him here.
http://www.genealogie.com/recherche-genealogique/nom-HOUSSET.html
 
Does France have the equivalent to the UK Commonweath Was Graves Commission? If so, they might have more information about it. If not, they would probably be interested so they can rebury the remains in a war cemetery.
 
From time to time you can see crosses similar to what you photographied. AFAIK they are done by the family/descendant/friends/bataillon co-fighter. There are quite a few where my parents live, quite weathered.

If the battle was not far away, it could be very well that the person died at another place after being evacuated, and this is where he is commemorated.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom