• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Improved finger/moon language

Dancing David

Penultimate Amazing
Joined
Mar 26, 2003
Messages
39,700
Location
central Illinois
I am sure this is old stuff.

Recently I have seen three seperate applications of what I call the revese finger moon argument.

I label the classic finger moon argument as being one where someone attacks a model based upon unproven juxtaposition of factors. Stating that there is not a coincidence without evidence , confirmation bias and straw man arguments are all of this type. Someone mistakes thier finger for the moon and procedes merrily on thier way.

But recently I have noticed a new line of argument (which is my new recognition, not the argument) and I have labeled it a reverse finger moon argument.

It goes like this:
-the model is not reality (magnetic reconnection)
-there is a popular notion is 'obvious' that you are ignoring (mind and psychology)
-the model is an abstraction (mobius strip)

So while I think the finger/moon argument can be labeled as such I think I need a pithy little label for this reverse argument.

Thanks
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom