• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

ID A South African bird from a description

mummymonkey

Did you spill my pint?
Joined
Dec 3, 2002
Messages
2,052
Location
Scotland
My daughter, Kate is on a gap year in Gauteng and sent me a description of the following birdie:

K. I saw the weirdest bird yesterday, you might know what it is, it was quite small and dark brown with a black head and the longest thinnest beak I've ever seen! Any idea?

MM. Was it in a tree? Running along the beach? Pecking at a wildebeast's corpse or what? Details Kate, details.

K. It was on the ground pecking at the grass

MM. Was it a wader then? A shorebird? Or was it more like a lark? Was its beak curved or straight and did it have long legs or a long tail?

K. It had short legs and a long straight beak, it was small too, no bigger than a blackbird

Any South African birders want to take a stab at that? Bit of a long shot I guess.
 
My daughter, Kate is on a gap year in Gauteng and sent me a description of the following birdie:



Any South African birders want to take a stab at that? Bit of a long shot I guess.

Haven't been to S.A. in my puff, but I'd suggest starting with an immature green wood hoopoe and honing the description from there.

This may help?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Gauteng_birds

Why does your daughter not have a mobile phone camera with 10X zoom? Don't you love her?
 
Why does your daughter not have a mobile phone camera with 10X zoom? Don't you love her?

She wanted an iPad. She obviously values Candy Crush and facetiming her mates more than documenting the local wildlife. I have failed as a parent.
 
I wonder if it might have been a hoopoe? I lived for a while in the middle east and people, knowing I was a birder often came up to me and said - "I saw this weird bird the other day" I always stopped them before they got any further and said - "It was a hoopoe". It always was. I'll send her a link to a picture.
 
article-0-18CAC68600000578-360_634x418_zps0d9d2b63.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]





The rarely sighted Trump canary.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom