• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

I Saw A Spectacular Meteor!

While attempting to observe Comet Halley in '86 during the Leonids I missed a truly spectacular fireball because I was facing in the opposite direction. The landscape lit up with a bright (well we were dark adapted) green light and my bud Mark said and I quote "Holy ******"! By the time I turned around nothing remained, no smoke trail just this sorry ass story.
 
Last edited:
While attempting to observe Comet Halley in '86 during the Leonids I missed a truly spectacular fireball because I was facing in the opposite direction. The landscape lit up with a bright (well we were dark adapted) green light and my bud Mark said and I quote "Holy ******"! By the time I turned around nothing remained, no smoke trail just this sorry ass story.

That'd piss you off - looking for the worst astronomical display ever.

I'd been waiting for about 12 years for Halley's Comet and it sucked so badly I nearly cried.
 
Indeed, though it wasn't unexpected "they" (astronomers) should really have taken a clue from Kohoutek in '73. I guess informing folks that this will be the worst appearance of Halley in pretty much ever would cut down on the sales of astronomy stuff.

Disclaimer: To this day I have a "sky crossbow" home made to measure stuff. Oh and don't get me started on Hyakutake probably the most spectacular comet I ever expect to see.
 
That'd piss you off - looking for the worst astronomical display ever.

I'd been waiting for about 12 years for Halley's Comet and it sucked so badly I nearly cried.

Yes.

Same here.

I was living in Sydney at the time, and my next door neighbour had seen the previous visit.

We rugged up and I took him to a recommended place for viewing (quite a long drive) and we were both utterly disappointed by what we saw.

However, he did tell my great stories about "back in the day" so I did at least enjoy that.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom