theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
Are there other governments that effectively require a supermajority to pass legislation?
Depends what you mean. The US system of government requires a supermajority to override the presidential veto. I'm not aware of any other government that's set up quite like the US system, so it's probably unique in that respect.
But if you're referring to the filibuster, there is no effective requirement for it in the US system of government. It's an arbitrary procedural rule that the Senate has set on itself, for how it will handle moving a bill from proposal to committee to a full vote of the chamber.
---
Contrast with the UK system of government where, as I understand it, there is no supermajority remedy for the monarch's veto, just the "convention" that they never exercise it. I wouldn't be surprised if this state of affairs is more common than the supermajority check and balance provided in the US system.
Last edited: