• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

How does the current financial crisis affect the Challenge funds?

But they were ASKED to do so.

Since only a JREF MDC applicant could receive the cash it is a pertinent question.

Unless there has been some change in your claim that I'm not aware of, you're essentially on the backburner until next October.

What's the harm in waiting until February for the next quarterly? Why does the request need to be handled so immediately? We've proven throughout the thread that your reasons for requesting one are essentially baseless, so really that comes off as a vanity request as opposed to an actual one for a valid reason.

~ Matt

(edit: I've been told you're not actually an applicant until you have a protocol designed.)
(further edit: Asking on an internet forum is not exactly the best way to get anything accomplished.)
 
Last edited:
The last published statement was dated August 31, 2008. Wouldn't a next quarterly statement be out in a couple of weeks, around the end of November?
 
The last published statement was dated August 31, 2008. Wouldn't a next quarterly statement be out in a couple of weeks, around the end of November?

It means quarterly in terms of a year. Given the current statement from August, I'd expect the JREF's reporting period to go something like this:

December
February
May
August
December
<rinse, lather, repeat>

~ Matt
 
http://money.cnn.com/2008/11/19/markets/bondcenter/credit_market/index.htm?postversion=2008111917

Government bonds are down but are still returning a profit to owners instead of a loss and the JREF's last 990 shows that they had moved 500,000 odd dollars more into goverment bonds so there total amount in that investment is over 1 million. I'm not a financial expert but this story I think helps my argument. I think either someone from JREF or GS realised better get that other half of the million into safer investment in the 2007 financial year.

So I guess that GS decided not to bother telling JREF as market conditions they are in hasn't been to badly affected so I'm willing to wait till either next report or next 990.
 
It means quarterly in terms of a year. Given the current statement from August, I'd expect the JREF's reporting period to go something like this:

December
February
May
August
December
<rinse, lather, repeat>

~ Matt

Thanks. I guess I had it in my mind that quarterly meant every three months. Hence:

August 31
November 30
February 28
May 31
August 31, ect.

But I guess it's more complicated than that.
 
Thanks. I guess I had it in my mind that quarterly meant every three months. Hence:

August 31
November 30
February 28
May 31
August 31, ect.

But I guess it's more complicated than that.

Consider the matter in light of the fiscal year rather than the calendar year. That probably invalidates my response more thoroughly than it does yours, thinking about it. Well, I guess we'll find out whenever the next statement goes up.

Wager a beer on it? =)

~ Matt
 
Last edited:
The Professor wants to know why the JREF has moved the information about the challenge funds! Apaprently they have moved back now(he claims)since he mentioned it!

Dunno why he can't post this question himself.
 
There have been enough warnings about this. This is not a thread about The Professor or his claims. Any further derails will face more severe action.
Replying to this modbox in thread will be off topic  Posted By: Cuddles
 
Money?

It's been since August and no new PIE CHART to show how the JREF MDC funds have faired in these economically challenged times. My 401K looks like a 201K right now :)

Why is that? Why no update?

I have personally asked for updates more than once over the past months. I actually spoke to Randi himself, and he said the funds were conservatively invested. If that is true I'd like to see the new information. It is long past the quarterly update.

If you are a true critical thinker perhaps a question may be raised in your mind as well? Please dispell any fears that I have about the dwindling MDC funds.
Thanks
:cool::cool:
 
The current document seems to imply the statements are monthly, which would suggest more recent documents are available. If this is the case, I too must wonder why they haven't been posted.
 
Well, taking into account that some or most of the MDC money seems to be invested in bonds, I imagine JREF has made a killing.

Maybe they're embarrassed at the profit they've made?
 
It's been since August and no new PIE CHART to show how the JREF MDC funds have faired in these economically challenged times. My 401K looks like a 201K right now :)

Why is that? Why no update?

I have personally asked for updates more than once over the past months. I actually spoke to Randi himself, and he said the funds were conservatively invested. If that is true I'd like to see the new information. It is long past the quarterly update.

If you are a true critical thinker perhaps a question may be raised in your mind as well? Please dispell any fears that I have about the dwindling MDC funds.
Thanks
:cool::cool:

Asking the forum members seems pointless if you want to receive an official answer. If you have an actual interest in said official answer contact [email protected]

Let us know how it went.
 
Yes, Dave. It's true. It's all dwindled down. What did Randi know? He's a magician, not an investment broker. You heard all those stories about the big Ponzi scheme, right? And just coincidentally, they said many of the investors were in South Florida? Hmmm?

Yep! You got it! You figured it out, alright!

So, yeah... the sad truth is that there's almost nothing left. And since that's your stated sole reason for annoying the crap out of the forums and harassing James Randi posting here, I guess that means you'll be leaving, then? Hmmmm?

Well,... Ta, then. Have a good time on your interwebnetcast radio show with its audience of 7. We'll sure miss ya.


Oh, and.... um.... If it's not too much to ask, could ya take Jim, with you?
 
It's been since August and no new PIE CHART to show how the JREF MDC funds have faired in these economically challenged times. My 401K looks like a 201K right now :)
<snip>

I notice you mention the word 'My' in your OP. It is not YOUR money. You are no longer even an applicant for the MDC.

We also have a very good humour sub forum. You may enjoy yourself there.
 
So have I been right all along and endured your Snarkieness just to prove my point?
Now, perhaps you will stop defending things in a mindless fashion, without question (Like most other cults). After all, aren't you guys supposed to be critical thinkers and skeptics.

I'm not saying the money is gone, but since no one from the JREF will answer my question I brought it here.

Also, your personal attacks on me don't add to your defense ... They simply show your desperation.

I'm glad to see that other members of the JREF Forum are beginning to see the truth or at least question this situation.

Thanks
Dave
 
Last edited:
I'm glad to see that other members of the JREF Forum are beginning to see the truth or at least question this situation.

Thanks
Dave

Look into the concept of what bond investments are and then get back to us. This has been explained to you before and you are quite dishonest in your attempts to pretend you have not been told about it before.

That laughter you keep hearing is people laughing at you, not with you.
 
To The Professor:

Do you think it's possible that Jim Callahan has succeeded as a "Paranormalist" and that the enigmatic entity known as Raymond Hill spirited away the money?

If you are so concerned about the existence of the money, did you write to the JREF requesting that they produce the current account statement from Goldman Sachs, as described under section 3. Prize Money in The JREF Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge "FAQ"?

QUESTION FOR The Professor:
Are you seeking the truth, or are you more interested in the attempt to spread self-serving propaganda?
 
So have I been right all along and endured your Snarkieness just to prove my point?
Now, perhaps you will stop defending things in a mindless fashion, without question (Like most other cults). After all, aren't you guys supposed to be critical thinkers and skeptics.

I'm not saying the money is gone, but since no one from the JREF will answer my question I brought it here.

Also, your personal attacks on me don't add to your defense ... They simply show your desperation.

I'm glad to see that other members of the JREF Forum are beginning to see the truth or at least question this situation.

Thanks
Dave

I am afraid it is of no concern for you Mr. "Professor".And since nowhere is stated that only money in that account can be used for prize,I fail to see importance of this issue.

And have you asked them in writting or at least by email?
 
Hey, Dave...
Now here's an idea. Why don't you send, like, a communication directly to the James Randi Educational Foundation, and ask them. Coming onto a forum and pimping and posturing is not the way an intelligent person proceeds if he/she is really concerned.
If I want to know where GMAC is going to spend my five billion dollars, I'd go look up their financial records, and if that's not satisfactory, I'd write them a letter. I think it would be far more productive than posting a rant on the Pontiac Firebird Comments section.
As to the lack of serious responses? You're under the delusion that we have the same worries as you.

(Brief pause while I threw up a little in my mouth at the very idea that any of my thought processes were akin to your own.)

Come back when you have some information. Most of us don't care about your speculation. If we're wrong and all the bond issuers are insolvent and/or Phil's off in Bolivia funding a llama farm, then we'll pay attention. But right now, it's just the speculation of one person with a well known dull axe to grind.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom