• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

How do you define racism?

I'm confused by the arguments saying, in effect, that someone who exclaimed, "Stupid ******!" after being knocked off a bike by a black person isn't necessarily a racist person. The mere fact that their first thought was a racial epithet indicates to me that said person is a racist. Maybe not a hate-filled white supremacist, but certainly a person whose worldview is informed by racial biases.

I can offer an explanation.

When I am really mad at someone - as in the circumstances you describe - I do not immediately become violent. Instead, I "use my words." In this case, the words I want are the most hurtful words that come to mind. Since I think racist slurs are hurtful, I might very well go down that road, not because of how I feel about someone's race, but because I want to create a certain, painful effect in my target.
 
I can offer an explanation.

When I am really mad at someone - as in the circumstances you describe - I do not immediately become violent. Instead, I "use my words." In this case, the words I want are the most hurtful words that come to mind. Since I think racist slurs are hurtful, I might very well go down that road, not because of how I feel about someone's race, but because I want to create a certain, painful effect in my target.

I don't - I like it to be really clear that I am not happy with what they did but do not care who they are or what. So I tend to phrases like *******, mother (or father) **********, **** licking infinitissimal nematode, Trumpsucker!, and similar.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom