• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: House Impeachment Inquiry - part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Dems need to be asking more questions of the GOP lawyer. Get him on record, and trap him into a corner with regards to the lies they've been telling. We already know the storyline, use this time to do damage to the GOP claims.

ETA: Jesus Christ, all the GOP do is scream.
 
Last edited:
There is no Gotcha when it comes to Trump: a signed confession wouldn't be enough.

All the Dems can do is collect and collate evidence for a time when Republicans have managed to break the spell they are under.
 
I am slightly amused that the guy Collins (R) has been badgering has spent a lot of time just staring back as if saying "What in the flying **** are you talking about, you idiot?"
 
I couldn't really follow Collins, what was his question about either Schiff or Goldman? Goldman refused to answer.
 
Chris Collins needs a Valium. His head is going to explode if he doesn't get his faux outrage under control.
His method of questioning is loud, angry and accusatory. He cuts off answers not allowing a complete answer as soon as he realizes he's not going to get the simple answer he wants. For example, he wants a one or two word answer about who ordered the cross referencing of the phone numbers but when Goldman tries to explain how it was done, Collins cuts him off and implies Goldman is trying to hide something nefarious.

Collins reminds me of a gorilla thumping the ground and pounding his chest trying to make himself look like a tough guy. I keep expecting him to start flinging his feces.
 
So he's mad Nunes got caught.

Pretty much. Collins is so all over the place no wonder Carlosy had trouble following him. Right now he's into another grandstanding, accusatory rant directed toward Goldman. He's demonstrating the tactic of "the best defense is a good offense". When you have no defense, attack and try to put your adversary on the defense.
 
And this is why the whole "Oh just ignore the trolls" thing pisses me off so much.

Because this was gonna happen. We let people basically practice trolling unopposed online until they perfected it and then it leaked into the real world and we have no way of combating it when it matters.

I'm torn on this. Correcting the record is one way to combat trolls, but another way is to out-troll them. Otherwise, they are still driving the conversation, and the rebuttals risk sounding defensive. Trump opponents are saying, "OK, these are the real facts" as if facts matter to the people you're trying to reach.

Remember what Trump said in (IIRC) rebuttal to Hillary? "Wrong. Wrong. Wrong." It's a cunning response. No danger of being tripped up by facts; just a contemptuous dismissal. He plays on emotion while Dems are trying to play on facts and logic. There's a place for that, surely. But ... there's also a place for manipulating the audience.
 
The thing about lies and nonsense such as the Republicans/Trump are pushing is that it takes very little time to spout them and much longer to refute them. And most people have the attention span of gnats.
Then work with that. I think it's fine to deconstruct the lies and nonsense, particularly in the context of a legal hearing that is being watched by political nerds. But there's also a place for deploying other tactics. Straw-manning, poisoning the well, name-calling. Maybe not in the hearings themselves, but in managing the public's perceptions of the hearings.

I'm not watching, so a big caveat there.
 
Then work with that. I think it's fine to deconstruct the lies and nonsense, particularly in the context of a legal hearing that is being watched by political nerds. But there's also a place for deploying other tactics. Straw-manning, poisoning the well, name-calling. Maybe not in the hearings themselves, but in managing the public's perceptions of the hearings.

I'm not watching, so a big caveat there.

You think the Dems should resort to "straw-manning, poisoning the well, name-calling"?
 
You think the Dems should resort to "straw-manning, poisoning the well, name-calling"?
Whatever works, in context. And that context is probably NOT during the actual hearings. But in ancillary coverage, sure. IMO, there's no point in denying that such tactics can be effective.
 
I'm also torn on labeling each side by political party, even though it's accurate enough for now.

But as I have emphasized, I'm not watching this round of hearings. So I'm no kind of expert in how effective certain tactics would be in that context. There was a flash of humor way back on Day One or so that I thought was pretty effective.
 
Gohmert is now joining Collins in the fainting couch outrage. I expected nothing more from that fool.

On a personal note, listening to those two just reinforces my dislike for Southern accents. And I used to have one.
 
Gohmert is now joining Collins in the fainting couch outrage. I expected nothing more from that fool.

On a personal note, listening to those two just reinforces my dislike for Southern accents. And I used to have one.

Don't take it out on all of us, please. We didn't all drink the kool-aid, snort the meth, sniff the glue, and/or tip the cow.

:)
 
The Dems need to be asking more questions of the GOP lawyer. Get him on record, and trap him into a corner with regards to the lies they've been telling. We already know the storyline, use this time to do damage to the GOP claims.

ETA: Jesus Christ, all the GOP do is scream.
Jordan thinks if he yells he sounds like he spouting gotchas.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom