• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Heeeeeeere's Obamacare!

Remember how many years the GOP threw money at "Star Wars"? I saw Ron Fournier of AP fame liken the website rollout to Bush's blunder in Iraq.

Really? Does this mean Republicans will give it ten years before deciding it didn't work?
:confused:

It does work, and has produced hardware which is in use all over the world. New hardware is still being developed. It even has it's own agency in the Department of Defense.
 
So there was an actual intercept of a simulated missile that didn't broadcast a homing beacon for the incoming anti-missile?

Interesting. Is there a link to that event?

Even if it has worked, it took decades to get going. I was simply comparing the endless level of patience for that, while the website for healthcare.gov must be perfect or else we should just give up or something.
 
Take away everything up to and including "or else" and you've got the GOP position.
 
Personally, I see no reason why NB should have to provide that info. I wouldn't want to in his/her shoes; I'm willing to take him/her on their word.

Not I. It just seems too convenient that a person who is against the PPACA just happens to have dirt cheap health insurance with premium coverage suddenly seeing his bill go up substantially (all due to the PPACA.)

Sorry, but it doesn't pass the sniff test.
 
Income level is not required; I would not divulge my income level to any of you yahoos :D

Why? I don't understand why people are so private about their income level. It's not like I can ID thief you with that information. In fact, I don't see how I could injure you by knowing that information.

I make about 80K/yr btw. (55k base salary)
 
Why? I don't understand why people are so private about their income level. It's not like I can ID thief you with that information. In fact, I don't see how I could injure you by knowing that information.

I make about 80K/yr btw. (55k base salary)

Perhaps there are other web forums where the poster uses the same name and would find it embarrassing for the other forum's users to know your income level.
 
Perhaps there are other web forums where the poster uses the same name and would find it embarrassing for the other forum's users to know your income level.

My username is tied to my real name thanks to a 9/11 Truther.
 
Why? I don't understand why people are so private about their income level. It's not like I can ID thief you with that information. In fact, I don't see how I could injure you by knowing that information.

I make about 80K/yr btw. (55k base salary)

Because it's none of your darn business :D

I don't share my income information with my closest friends, let alone with strangers on the interwebs. Income and wealth pretty serious parts of most arguments around social policy. They play into many assumptions that people make, and often strongly affect how people treat you. I prefer to interact based on the strength of my ideas and the character of my posts.
 
Because it's none of your darn business :D

I don't share my income information with my closest friends, let alone with strangers on the interwebs. Income and wealth pretty serious parts of most arguments around social policy. They play into many assumptions that people make, and often strongly affect how people treat you. I prefer to interact based on the strength of my ideas and the character of my posts.

^This.
 
Because it's none of your darn business :D

I don't share my income information with my closest friends, let alone with strangers on the interwebs. Income and wealth pretty serious parts of most arguments around social policy. They play into many assumptions that people make, and often strongly affect how people treat you. I prefer to interact based on the strength of my ideas and the character of my posts.


Well said. :D
 
Not I. It just seems too convenient that a person who is against the PPACA just happens to have dirt cheap health insurance with premium coverage suddenly seeing his bill go up substantially (all due to the PPACA.)

Sorry, but it doesn't pass the sniff test.

My premium is currently in the mid $200 range for my family. The lowest I can get on the exchange is $427.

I have a big savings account for my healthcare. I got that savings account by buying less house, car, clothes, etc than I could "afford," to get and putting the extra towards savings. My insurance was a catastrophic plan that had a deductible about as much as I have in my healthcare savings account.

Why should I buy more insurance than I want or need?
 
Last edited:
My premium is currently in the mid $200 range for my family. The lowest I can get on the exchange is $427.

I have a big savings account for my healthcare. I got that savings account by buying less house, car, clothes, etc than I could "afford," to get and putting the extra towards savings. My insurance was a catastrophic plan that had a deductible about as much as I have in my healthcare savings account.

Why should I buy more insurance than I want or need?

I've never heard of insurance, outside of any being offered through a company, that can be achieved for such a little amount.

You insure your entire family, through an independent provider, on around $200 a month? I get mine through my business and they cost me about $150-$170ish per check.
 
Why should I buy more insurance than I want or need?

Every single person on earth wants ZERO health insurance, we all want to remain healthy and not incur medical bills.

No person on earth knows how much they need. It can't be known.
 
Last edited:
I've never heard of insurance, outside of any being offered through a company, that can be achieved for such a little amount.

You insure your entire family, through an independent provider, on around $200 a month? I get mine through my business and they cost me about $150-$170ish per check.

With a high enough deductible you can. For a while, my company was selling a $10,000 deductible catastrophic plan, for around $50 per month per person covered (depending on age). Then Washington decided we shouldn't be allowed to and all of our members on that plan had to choose something else - whether they wanted it or not.
 
I've never heard of insurance, outside of any being offered through a company, that can be achieved for such a little amount.

You insure your entire family, through an independent provider, on around $200 a month? I get mine through my business and they cost me about $150-$170ish per check.

It's a catastrophic plan. The deductible is in excess of $25000. I paid for routine costs out of pocket from my HSA (less than $1000/yr until recently when my son got sick and our costs went up for surgery, etc). If we exceed that amount in healthcare costs, the plan kicks in. It doesn't cover preventive, birth control, maternity, etc. Basically it's in place just in case some serious stuff goes down, which is what insurance is supposed to do.
 
Every single person on earth wants ZERO health insurance, we all want to remain healthy and not incur medical bills.

No person on earth knows how much they need. It can't be known.

Right. That's what insurance is for. Because people conflate health insurance with health care, they expect insurance to cover every possible need. I want and need insurance to cover only what I can't cover myself.

Most Americans could prioritize healthcare in their budgets and cover the bulk of the yearly health expenses. Certainly, they could buy their own birth control and pay for their own yearly check-ups. The less that actual insurance has to cover, the less it costs.
 
Let me get this straight. Your finances allow you to handle tens of thousands in medical bills out of pocket. Now you are being forced to buy medical insurance that only has a $5,000 deductible instead of $25,000 and you expect sympathy?

:boggled:

One of the goals of the ACA was to keep families from going bankrupt due to medical bills and saddling society with the unpaid cost of their medical care. The law could have made a special exemption for small number of families that have your financial means and want an extremely high deductible. Then we would have to create a system to keep families of modest means from buying policies only intended for the wealthy. It just isn't worth the trouble.
 
Let me get this straight. Your finances allow you to handle tens of thousands in medical bills out of pocket. Now you are being forced to buy medical insurance that only has a $5,000 deductible instead of $25,000 and you expect sympathy?
Sympathy? I don't post on JREF for sympathy, lol. Someone expressed disbelief that premiums could rise substantially; I gave my example.

One of the goals of the ACA was to keep families from going bankrupt due to medical bills
Agreed.

and saddling society with the unpaid cost of their medical care.
Disagreed. The ACA is all about "saddling society" with the cost of everyone's healthcare. Otherwise, I wouldn't have to switch.

The law could have made a special exemption for small number of families that have your financial means and want an extremely high deductible. Then we would have to create a system to keep families of modest means from buying policies only intended for the wealthy. It just isn't worth the trouble.
Why would a family of modest means want a high deductible policy in the first place?
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom