• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Heeeeeeere's Obamacare!

But please, continue :rolleyes:

Gladly. More ODS, as a well-known anti-Obamacare figure blasts the website rollout, saying "there's no excuse for the problems" people have had.


In case I'm being too subtle for you - the notion that "Obama Derangement Syndrome" is responsible for the attacks on the piss-poor rollout of healthcare.gov is ludicrous. These problems are real, they're substantial, and hand-waving them away isn't doing you, Obama, or the ACA any favors.
 
Fact remains that all other aspects of the ACA have rolled out just fine. The website was never meant to be more than a portal to your states health insurance exchange website, they had to make major changes when the SC ruled the states could not be forced to make their own exchanges. All of the selfish governors, mine included, threw a huge wrench into the planned roll out when they decided not to set up the exchanges in their states. This happened with less than 2 years to go and new plans for .gov had to be made.

It should have been tested more, it should have been done better. It will get fixed and millions of Americans will get coverage. Until then the ODS sufferers finally have something to actually crow about...for now.
 
Oh, FFS. Tell you what. You explain to me exactly what in my post history leads you to think I'm a "ODS sufferer," or just give it a goddamn rest already.

I don't believe I was only posting to you, it was a general comment and if it doesn't apply to you then so be it. It does apply to some people.

I have already posted numerous times in this very thread about my own frustrations with the website. I am excited and eager to get signed up, frustrated and annoyed at the trouble I have had.

Over all the ACA has been and will be a success. Some people are extrapolating a website error and confusing it with actual health insurance and the ACA as a whole. These are the ODS sufferers, I am glad you are not one.
 
At the risk of reposting, more ODS from the right wing reactionaries at Consumer Reports.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/10/tips-for-creating-heathcare-gov-acount/index.htm

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewi...macare-opponents-misrepresented-us-on-website

"Pundits opposed to the new health care law and some media outlets have tried to suggest that our coverage of the troubled HealthCare.gov site means that Consumer Reports has turned against the Affordable Care Act," wrote Nancy Metcalf, who covers health care for Consumer Reports. "Not true. Consistent with our mission to inform and protect consumers, particularly in this complicated health care market, our advice remains the same: The best place to buy coverage on your own is through the Health Insurance Marketplace in your state."
 
Apparently MSNBC's Chuck Todd told Jay Carney to "just add a server" to fix the website problems and he's getting grief on the Twitter.

https://twitter.com/search?q=#ChuckToddWebsiteAdvice&src=typd
LOL

All kidding aside, the press has been their usual incompetent selves about this. I already wrote about how one expert opined that when you hit apply, 96 files were downloaded, and that this was an absurdly high amount. But if you check for yourself using Firebug, you can see that it's actually only around a dozen. And furthermore, if you you go to Amazon.com, there's about 150 files downloaded.

But today, apparently someone told a reporter that healthcare.gov has 500,000,000 lines of code in it. And they wrote that down and repeated it.

Really? No bs meters went off with that number? I read somewhere that 500,000,000 lines of code is what's in Windows 7. But healcare.gov is written in JavaScript, so we can all see for ourselves that this isn't true, at least for the front end. For the back end, how on earth would this "expert" know how many lines of code were there?
Numbers of files or numbers of lines of code really don't mean anything, to be honest. I would take any such claims with a grain of salt.

"Lines of code" is kind of a useless statistic, it doesn't tell you anything substantial about the system.

It sounds impressive, though.
Yep. Any halfway experienced developer will tell you the same. It's just a buzz phrase to mislead non-technical people.
 
Gladly. More ODS, as a well-known anti-Obamacare figure blasts the website rollout, saying "there's no excuse for the problems" people have had.

In case I'm being too subtle for you - the notion that "Obama Derangement Syndrome" is responsible for the attacks on the piss-poor rollout of healthcare.gov is ludicrous. These problems are real, they're substantial, and hand-waving them away isn't doing you, Obama, or the ACA any favors.

Exactly.

The website launch was botched, plain and simple. Let's admit it and move on as best we can while it gets fixed. I have no doubt the thing will get fixed; if we can put humans on the moon, we can fix this.

Worst case scenario: the deadline for enrolling will be pushed back a bit while the bugs get worked out of the system. It's not like every bump in the road spells utter doom and defeat, sheesh.

Meanwhile, if you're someone who's having trouble with the federal ACA website (for whatever reason), then you can enroll by calling them.
 
I don't believe I was only posting to you, it was a general comment and if it doesn't apply to you then so be it. It does apply to some people.

Yes, it appears that buggy code is non-partisan ;)

I have already posted numerous times in this very thread about my own frustrations with the website. I am excited and eager to get signed up, frustrated and annoyed at the trouble I have had.

Give them a call, and try enrolling that way.

Over all the ACA has been and will be a success. Some people are extrapolating a website error and confusing it with actual health insurance and the ACA as a whole. These are the ODS sufferers, I am glad you are not one.

Agreed. If people threw their hands up in frustration and gave up every time our nation hits some kind of snag, then we wouldn't have won WWII, humans never would have gone to the moon, etc. What happened to that good ol' "can do" American attitude?
 
LOL


Numbers of files or numbers of lines of code really don't mean anything, to be honest. I would take any such claims with a grain of salt.


Yep. Any halfway experienced developer will tell you the same. It's just a buzz phrase to mislead non-technical people.

I am a developer, and honestly if any website had 500,000,000 lines of code, that would indeed be bloated beyond belief. But that number seems completely made up, so my complaint is about the reporter who accepted that as an accurate accounting of what's going on with the code.

ETA: This led me to a cool Plugin for my IDE, which is IntelliJ Idea.

http://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin?pluginId=4509

So checking one of my recent projects, I have almost 500,000 lines of code before minifying. I can't imagine what I could write that would be 500,000,000 lines.
 
Last edited:
Agreed. If people threw their hands up in frustration and gave up every time our nation hits some kind of snag, then we wouldn't have won WWII, humans never would have gone to the moon, etc. What happened to that good ol' "can do" American attitude?

Remember how many years the GOP threw money at "Star Wars"? I saw Ron Fournier of AP fame liken the website rollout to Bush's blunder in Iraq.

Really? Does this mean Republicans will give it ten years before deciding it didn't work?
 
Proving yet again Republicans have no ideas other then to try and crucify Obama.
We are concerned that the administration required contractors to change course late in the implementation process to conceal Obamacare's effect on increasing health insurance premiums

Apologists can now line up.
 
Then i won't believe your story.

I don't think it is reasonable to demand personal information be shared in a public forum, in order to accept someone's claim of their personal experience.

That said, what information he has already provided is sufficient for me to say that the premium is unusually low, but given the organizational structure of his insurer, it isn't necessarily surprising given how the old world of insurance worked.

In the context of a message forum, it's understandable that certainty is not reachable when evidence requires divulging personal information. A better question is what details that are reasonable to post would be the most useful in evaluation?

[Emily gets up on her high horse]
I think it's also pertinent to ask who is actually qualified to evaluate those claims.

Name of the carrier, the location and income level would help. The name of the specific plan within the carrier will also be useful.
Income level is not required; I would not divulge my income level to any of you yahoos :D
 
Last edited:

I will give them a call. The last few weeks have been chaotic and I know I have time.

Agreed. If people threw their hands up in frustration and gave up every time our nation hits some kind of snag, then we wouldn't have won WWII, humans never would have gone to the moon, etc. What happened to that good ol' "can do" American attitude?

time line of the ACA from 2010 on. Look how much has been done without issue and tell me it's time to throw the baby out with the bath water, the consequences of which are:

Children with pre-existing conditions can be dropped

Kids over 18 can be dropped

Lifetime limits return

Arbitrary cancelation returns

Prescription drug discounts for seniors go away

small business tax credit goes away

Free preventive services for seniors go away

New preventive services for women go away

And those are just some of the highlights of what we do away with if we get rid of the ACA. What's the plan after that? Anybody got one? Cause every time I ask what the alternative plan is from the right I get crickets.
 
Last edited:
I am a developer, and honestly if any website had 500,000,000 lines of code, that would indeed be bloated beyond belief. But that number seems completely made up, so my complaint is about the reporter who accepted that as an accurate accounting of what's going on with the code.

ETA: This led me to a cool Plugin for my IDE, which is IntelliJ Idea.

http://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin?pluginId=4509

So checking one of my recent projects, I have almost 500,000 lines of code before minifying. I can't imagine what I could write that would be 500,000,000 lines.

The only way I can possibly accept 500 million lines of code is if it includes the operating system that the servers use, the web host source, the database source, etc.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom