• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Health Food Store Follies

Joined
Jan 25, 2010
Messages
799
Went to the health food store today. I like many of their products--not the untested herbs, mind you--just the cosmetics, clothing, and food. But the odd people...and the woo...!

So anyhoo....I pass next to this woman who is literally bent over in pain, just as she's saying, "So it's just like aspirin if aspirin were natural?" I was surprised when he tried to tell her the truth.;)

...But then not surprised when she just twisted his words back to him so he was saying what she wanted to hear: "Yes, well as long as it's natural, because my doctor has me taking aspirin every day to prevent a heart attack, but I don't want to take aspirin 'cause it's not natural!"

She literally could not stand up straight, complained of extreme pain and looked like she was going to pass out.

Now I know aspirin does not grow on trees, they process it and so forth. But come on....willow bark pills...! Who even knows what's in those pills...they're not even regulated.

Sad.:( So willing to cling to the misplaced distrust of science, even in the face of excruciating pain, medical advice, and prevention of a heart attack.

It's like a woo factory there, like church. People walking around saying there's herbs for this and that, no need to ever go to a doctor or take medications. Once I even heard a clerk saying ADHD is really an anxiety disorder...and of course...there's an herb for that!:mad:
 
Sounds like you're having a minor belief avoidance anxiety - I'm pretty sure there's a natural organic herbal detox therapy for that - cleans that toxic scepticism right out of your system so you can believe freely again ;)
 
I have conflicted feelings about my local Holland & Barratt health store. On one hand, they sell loads of nonsense, but on the other they have these delicious bags of red liquorice that taste better than crack.
 
I have conflicted feelings about my local Holland & Barratt health store. On one hand, they sell loads of nonsense, but on the other they have these delicious bags of red liquorice that taste better than crack.
Buy the good stuff and leave the used colon rinse that is their major source of income alone.
 
I;ve;only; got; a;case;that;is;half;as;bad;as;Madalch;s;

Perhaps;something;with;nanos;in;it;would;help;especially;in;quantum;amounts;
 
I had a pink haired clerk quip to me after a 14 hour day of working and school - "You oughtta quit school!"

smug moron....

Yeah I'll quit and make at the most 12 dollars per hour for the rest of my life like you!

The oscillococcinum they sell at the counters always gets me. I just start thinking - millions of doses sold...that poor single duck they had to kill to get it's liver...snake oil factory...

I used to work with a woman who worked part time at a woo store and she was the single most unhealthy person I've ever seen. She carried a gymbag full of her supplements which included this green liquid she would sip all day. She sweated constantly and had no mental clarity.
 
Last edited:
I have conflicted feelings about my local Holland & Barratt health store. On one hand, they sell loads of nonsense, but on the other they have these delicious bags of red liquorice that taste better than crack.
What does crack taste like?;):p

The oscillococcinum they sell at the counters always gets me. I just start thinking - millions of doses sold...that poor single duck they had to kill to get it's liver...snake oil factory...

Don't worry too much....it's probably nothing more than some dryer lint and yard waste in the bottle. Why would they go to the expense and horror of finding and killing a duck when you can just sell leftover junk and get the same result?
 
Last edited:
What does crack taste like?;):p

A few inches deeper than "cheek"?:p

Don't worry too much....it's probably nothing more than some dryer lint and yard waste in the bottle. Why would they go to the expense and horror of finding and killing a duck when you can just sell leftover junk and get the same result?

Indeed.

Dave
 
Last edited:
Sounds like you're having a minor belief avoidance anxiety - I'm pretty sure there's a natural organic herbal detox therapy for that - cleans that toxic scepticism right out of your system so you can believe freely again ;)

Beer?

I highly recommend it for any kind of anxiety.
 
Last edited:
II used to work with a woman who worked part time at a woo store and she was the single most unhealthy person I've ever seen. She carried a gymbag full of her supplements which included this green liquid she would sip all day. She sweated constantly and had no mental clarity.

Absinthe? Would explain the symptoms!
 
I have conflicted feelings about my local Holland & Barratt health store. On one hand, they sell loads of nonsense, but on the other they have these delicious bags of red liquorice that taste better than crack.

My local branch is currently selling small bags of dried cranberries at half price. As I use them in baking, I find I frequent H&B more than I used to. About once a month.

Actually, one of the walls in the branch appears to be loaded with big containers of that stuff body-builders seem to down all the time. Must be the latest fad in Staines. ;)
 
I used to work with a woman who worked part time at a woo store and she was the single most unhealthy person I've ever seen. She carried a gymbag full of her supplements which included this green liquid she would sip all day. She sweated constantly and had no mental clarity.
I wonder if she was an undiagnosed diabetic?
 
What does crack taste like?
I had a student in chemistry lab complain about her experiment, saying "EEEWWW!!! This smells like crack!". her lab partner looked confused, and said, "Doesn't crack smell nice? I thought it had poppies in it...."
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom