• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Hard Left Agenda: Breastfeeding

Vorticity

Fluid Mechanic
Joined
Apr 4, 2002
Messages
2,677
CNN Story:

First lady Michelle Obama found herself at the center of an unlikely breast-feeding debate this week when three prominent conservative women criticized her for encouraging the creation of a "nanny state."

Conservative radio talk show host Laura Ingraham on Tuesday asked Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minnesota, about an announcement by the Internal Revenue Service that the purchase of breast-feeding equipment would be considered a medical expense.
...
Bachmann, a frequent critic of the Obama administration's policies, was quick to point out that the decision falls in line with the "hard left" agenda.

"I think this is very consistent with where the hard left is coming from," Bachmann said. "For them, government is the answer to every problem. So government got us in this problem, and so they think government is going to get us out of the problem.

"I've given birth to five babies and I breast-fed every single one of these babies, and to think that the government has to go out and buy my breast pump for my babies. I mean, you want to talk about the nanny state? I think you just got a new definition of the nanny."
...

********* Hard Left!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Democrat Party, keep your paws off our epic byewbage!!! U.S. out of my funbags!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad:



But seriously, this is a tax deduction.

Why are Republicans pushing this Tax On Motherhood? What's next? Apple pie and Baseball taxes??

:mad::mad::mad::mad:



;)
 
Interesting that these female politician, both of whom are giving strong indications of running for president, are focusing not on the president, but on the first lady. And these are not far out things the first lady is saying either. Breastfeeding is healthy. Obesity is not healthy. Elementary schools shouldn't have soda machines. She's on pretty solid ground there I would say.
 
Interesting that these female politician, both of whom are giving strong indications of running for president, are focusing not on the president, but on the first lady.

"...ladies and gentlemen of this supposed electorate, I have one final thing I want you to consider. Ladies and gentlemen, these are breasts. Breasts are sometimes used to feed babies. But the government is offering a tax deduction for breast-feeding equipment. Now think about it; that does not make sense! Why would the government want to offer a tax deduction on breasts? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do national politics? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with national politics! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a national politician, and I'm talkin' about breasts! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that voting booth deliberatin' and conjugatin', does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed electorate, it does not make sense! If I mention breasts, you must vote Republican! The defense rests."
 
"...ladies and gentlemen of this supposed electorate, I have one final thing I want you to consider. Ladies and gentlemen, these are breasts. Breasts are sometimes used to feed babies. But the government is offering a tax deduction for breast-feeding equipment. Now think about it; that does not make sense! Why would the government want to offer a tax deduction on breasts? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do national politics? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with national politics! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a national politician, and I'm talkin' about breasts! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that voting booth deliberatin' and conjugatin', does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed electorate, it does not make sense! If I mention breasts, you must vote Republican! The defense rests."

And why would a wookie want to live on Endor with a bunch of three foot tall ewoks?
 
So where do we draw the line between nutrition and medicine?
 
Are car seats and strollers now a medical expense also? What about baby clothes? High chairs? Baby food?

No, this rule won't amount to squat as far as tax revenue goes, but I'm having a hard time seeing how this is "medical equipment".
 
Partisanship really reached a new low for me with this one. No hyperbole intended, but I honestly fear for our future.
 
No, this rule won't amount to squat as far as tax revenue goes, but I'm having a hard time seeing how this is "medical equipment".

Because it's a device built to extract a fluid from the human body?

Do you consider syringes to be medical equipment? They do the opposite.
 
Because it's a device built to extract a fluid from the human body?
What are the medical consequences of not extracting that particular fluid? Will the breast rupture or explode?

eta: a bar of soap also removes substances from the human body. Is this a medical device also?
 
Last edited:
Is a diagnosis of mastitis a requirement to take the tax deduction?

I would hope not, since one of the functions of the breast pump is to prevent mastitis (and precursors such as blocked ducts). You would have a very hard job avoiding blocked ducts/mastitis without a breast pump unless you spend all of your time with your baby and can feed on demand, or you hand express - very time consuming and difficult if you are a working mum.
 
Last edited:
Is a diagnosis of mastitis a requirement to take the tax deduction?

Every time you get penicillin for an ear infection, do you need to have a diagnosis of meningitis first? Every time you get antibiotic for strep throat, do you need to have rheumatic fever first? Hint: The point of the medication isn't to fix your strep or ear bug, it's to prevent them from giving you nastier diseases.

There's this thing called disease prevention, you see.
 
What are the medical consequences of not extracting that particular fluid? Will the breast rupture or explode?

I didn't realize that the definition of a medical device hinged on whether you, personally, feel it serves a sufficiently necessary purpose. You can argue against this particular device deserving a tax break, but arguing that it isn't a medical device at all is, well, nuts.

eta: a bar of soap also removes substances from the human body. Is this a medical device also?

Is the soap designed by licensed medical professionals, and inspected and licensed for use and sale by the FDA, and prescribed by doctors?

If the soap were a prescription formula then it might qualify as medicine, but not as a device.

I can't see why you're quibbling over the meaning of the words "medical device" here. If you wish to object to the tax deduction, do so. Can you see what madness politics have become if the meanings of basic words must be challenged and politicized?
 
There's this thing called disease prevention, you see.
Shoes prevent me from getting blisters on my feet, a medical condition. Shall I be able to deduct what I spent on shoes as a medical expense?

A hat prevents sunburn and skin cancer, do I get to deduct hat expenses as a medical expense?

If I sleep outdoors I can freeze to death, can I deduct apartment rental as a medical expense?
 
And food prevents you from starvation, a medical condition.

Will I be able to deduct the food I eat as a medical expense?

Not applicable. Mastitis - and blocked ducts - is a common and expected complication of pregnancy and breast feeding. It is better economy to prevent it than to treat it once it's a fact. Not just because it prevents suffering. (Severe suffering, I am given to understand.) It is also cheaper than treating full blown mastitis and since once the mastitis is a fact, the breast feeding - and all its benefits - grind to a halt. The point is to keep babies in breast milk where possible.*


* And before this kicks off a tangent - I absolutely understand that it just doesn't work for everyone.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom