• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Grammar help Please

As we toured the garden, Lady Mary explained that roses used to grow along either side of the path, but an insane pedant had come along and ripped them all out.
Or did he rip each one of them out? :D

I would just like to add in here my continued annoyance with people who insist upon writing and saying 'an historic event' instead of 'a historic event', as if we are still back in the day and they are actually saying in their head it was 'an istoric event it were!'

Grrr grrr!

PS: Being from the U.K is this more a thing over here? Do Americans say 'an historic'?
When I hear it (in the U.S.) it seems to be used as more of an affectation, mostly tongue-in-cheek. I hope.
 
PS: Being from the U.K is this more a thing over here? Do Americans say 'an historic'?

Hispanics? There are like 56-58 million of those in the USA.

Among the myriad of my mistakes while writing in English, I do tend to use "an" when the Spanish word has a silent h or starts with a vowel:

an historic (histórico = /is'to:rico/)
an specific (específico)
an special (especial)
 
I would just like to add in here my continued annoyance with people who insist upon writing and saying 'an historic event' instead of 'a historic event', as if we are still back in the day and they are actually saying in their head it was 'an istoric event it were!'
Headmaster Brian Stimpson certainly agrees with you:

 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom