• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Go woke, go broke

So how does acquisition and resale affect the equation? Or the longevity and replacement of the batteries?

In my case resale doesn't enter the equation - I run cars until they die. If I get 10 years out of the Tesla then that would be fine. So far it seems that battery replacement is unlikely to be a requirement because the car would still only be 13 years old and have much less than 150k miles on it.

One of the things I despise about the Tesla vehicles is how they own their customers. By that I mean, they don't allow others to work on their cars. And software features like self driving, range and supercharge don't transfer freely to the second owners.

I have a big mad-on for "right to repair."

I'm not aware of any big issues relating to Tesla and routine maintenance but that's a good point. There are a lot of Teslas on UK roads and they're being maintained somewhere.

The transfer (or otherwise) of firmware features is something that I'll need to be aware of if I buy a used Tesla if they are features I'm interested in.

If Tesla is not the answer because of these issues then there are a large number of Kias and Hyundais out there that are also highly regarded and they too will likely be affordable.
 
So how does acquisition and resale affect the equation? Or the longevity and replacement of the batteries?

One of the things I despise about the Tesla vehicles is how they own their customers. By that I mean, they don't allow others to work on their cars. And software features like self driving, range and supercharge don't transfer freely to the second owners.

Sadly, that isn't exclusive to Tesla. If I get my Toyota serviced at the mechanic down the road from, there are a million things he can do in the course of routine maintenance that would invalidated my service plan.

I have a big mad-on for "right to repair."

The Biden administration has actually been pushing for Right to Repair legistaltion but it is stalled in the Senate.
 
WTF? Your lack of empathy for disadvantaged whites does you no credit.

Thanks!

Since I grew up among and as a part of that demographic, I view that as sort of a term of endearment.
 
Last edited:
I will say, I don't think you can look at a company's stock price day-to-day and say it is deffinately because the CEO made this racist comment or this Instagram celebrity endrosed them. Stock prices seem fairly divorced from reality.

I think Tesla's stock issues have more to do with Musk's primary business being vaporware sales and insitutional investors getting tired of the unfulfilled promises.
 
I will say, I don't think you can look at a company's stock price day-to-day and say it is deffinately because the CEO made this racist comment or this Instagram celebrity endorsed them. Stock prices seem fairly divorced from reality.
I think Tesla's stock issues have more to do with Musk's primary business being vaporware sales and insitutional investors getting tired of the unfulfilled promises.

Of course they are - it's gambling, prettified and meant to be so rational but in the end, it is people (and now computers) making bets.
 
I will say, I don't think you can look at a company's stock price day-to-day and say it is deffinately because the CEO made this racist comment or this Instagram celebrity endrosed them.

Ehh. Day to day is one thing. If the CEO very publicly claiming something utterly repulsive and the stock price "just happens" to drop notably right after, the two are quite likely to be linked. Long-term performance is a different story.


Stock prices seem fairly divorced from reality.

I'd go with a more nuanced description there - there are a number of factors that have little to nothing to do with a company's performance that affect stock prices. The effects of those factors is much more pronounced with higher company visibility and politicization.
 
i don't think there's any positives to having a ceo that publicly humiliates themselves on a regular basis
 
well, not if you are employee of or a shareholder in the company. For the rest of us, it is hilarious.
 
To a point.

Teslas are generally praised by their owners. That said, Tesla sells boutique products to early adopters. People with extra money who can and will spend more than the average car buyer. They can buy any car they want.
A substantial percentage of Tesla's market is composed by progressive, environmentally conscious overwhelmingly college educated Democrats.

I know I would love to own a Tesla. I have given it consideration. But I can't afford it. I also cannot justify contributing to Musk.

And they're also the kind of people who are more likely to engage in cultic behaviour. A case in point, the amount of people complaining recently of serious problems making their cybertrucks undriveable death traps, yet ending their complaints with (a variation of) "but it's still the best car I've ever owned".
 
Cancel Culture - Bad
Boycott - Good
Calls for boycotts often influence my buying decisions. A few years ago there was a TV commercial for Honey Maid Graham Crackers with a tagline that was something like "Wholesome snacks for wholesome families". It showed various couples enjoying the crackers with their children, including a same sex couple. The usual suspects called for a boycott of the product, which resulted in me buying several boxes out of spite.

Which is very ironic because the original boycotts (named after one of their most famous victims) were organised and carried out by a strongly left wing agrarian movement, the Land League.
 
Corporate Hypocrisy

It’s Pride Month! While some corporations like Target are hiding their pride for the sake of loud conservatives, others are doing everything they can to virtue signal to consumers. Jon Stewart rips off the mask of corporate “values” and examines how corporations will perform caring about issues like DEI, climate change, or patriotism, as long as it means bigger profits, and how quickly they backtrack on those moral stands when it no longer suits their bottom line.
Jon Stewart Smashes the Myth of Corporate Morality in Pride, BLM, and Beyond (The Daily Show with Jon Steart, June 11, 2024 - 14:10 min.)
 
And they're also the kind of people who are more likely to engage in cultic behaviour. A case in point, the amount of people complaining recently of serious problems making their cybertrucks undriveable death traps, yet ending their complaints with (a variation of) "but it's still the best car I've ever owned".

Really? I don't think they are any more cultish than the morons running around my town in huge pickups with giant flags in the back. I particularly like the guy who has Old Glory, the Confederate Rebel flag and the Gadsden flag.

I'd love to own a Tesla. For what I consider the wrong reason. They can be very fun to drive. I think the Cyber truck is maybe the ugliest car ever and I owned a Pacer. (Look it up. It was hideous.) But I'd love to own an X model in the plaid edition.
 
Really? I don't think they are any more cultish than the morons running around my town in huge pickups with giant flags in the back. I particularly like the guy who has Old Glory, the Confederate Rebel flag and the Gadsden flag.

I'd love to own a Tesla. For what I consider the wrong reason. They can be very fun to drive. I think the Cyber truck is maybe the ugliest car ever and I owned a Pacer. (Look it up. It was hideous.) But I'd love to own an X model in the plaid edition.
Slight thread drift here, but I always thought the Pacer wasn't so bad looking, though odd. It would have seemed a pretty good idea, I think, if only it had been better engineered and made.

I agree, though that people complaining about such things as the Cybertruck not living up to its promise are not necessarily cultish. They're just ticked off that what should have been better isn't. That differs somewhat from the huge pickups with flags, which are all gesture with little if any benefit.
 
Slight thread drift here, but I always thought the Pacer wasn't so bad looking, though odd. It would have seemed a pretty good idea, I think, if only it had been better engineered and made.
The one I had was actually pretty good and it was pretty roomy. I got it super cheap. Nevertheless, it wasn't exactly a chick magnet. I always felt a little strange picking up a girl on say a first date in it. But it was wheels.


I agree, though that people complaining about such things as the Cybertruck not living up to its promise are not necessarily cultish. They're just ticked off that what should have been better isn't. That differs somewhat from the huge pickups with flags, which are all gesture with little if any benefit.
It's a terrible truck. More like a car with a small useless truck bed. Oh well. My guess is it will not sell well after a year or two.
 
Slight thread drift here, but I always thought the Pacer wasn't so bad looking, though odd.

Everybody that I met back in the 1970s who had a Pacer weighed more than 300 pounds, and I don't think that is a coincidence.
 
Everybody that I met back in the 1970s who had a Pacer weighed more than 300 pounds, and I don't think that is a coincidence.

Probably not. It does look like a fat person's car.

What I love is that it was the car that Wayne and Garth drove.
 
Probably not. It does look like a fat person's car.

What I love is that it was the car that Wayne and Garth drove.

Hey I had girlfriends who drove a Vega and a Dodge Dart, so not mocking the people who drove those pieces of ****, just the cars they got stuck with.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom