Some of you have been here long enough to recall that I predicted this;
http://news.slashdot.org/story/12/10/19/1242227/scientists-turn-air-into-petrol
Nucs or windmills plus this process (or one very similar) = the future.
How much electrical power will be needed to produce a litre of petrol? Also until all electricity is produced by renewables isn't this just an inefficient way of turning coal and gas into petrol?
"We ought to be aiming for a refinery-scale operation within the next 15 years.
Although the prototype system is designed to extract carbon dioxide from the air, this part of the process is still too inefficient to allow a commercial-scale operation.
The company can and has used carbon dioxide extracted from air to make petrol, but it is also using industrial sources of carbon dioxide until it is able to improve the performance of "carbon capture"
So, correct me if I'm wrong please, but it seems to me the plan is to use electricity, mostly generated by burning coal and gas, to turn a (probably very small) part of the related carbon emmisions into petrol.
While I can see this may be economically viable if the world's economy grows leading to an exponential rise in crude oil prices, I don't see how this cuts down on overall carbon emmissions.
P.S. whatever happened to algae bio-fuel,(supposedly hundreds of times more efficient than corn bio-fuel) I'm sure I read several years ago there were already prototype production units operating.