So is the original data wrong, from the OP. Was it just made up?
It is considered gauche to refer to global warming these days. The politically correct term is climate change.
Is it true that the Artice ice sheets are shrinking, while the Antarctic ice sheets are growing?
I'm far from an expert on climate, but the problem with the term "warming" is that too many seem to think that if we have a colder winter, then that means there is no global warming, and the issue risks being confused by the terms.
I know personally I have observed climate change. I'm only 33, but when I was a kid everyone in my hometown owned a snowmobile. Now, no one owns them. There simply isn't enough snow.
On the other hand. When I first heard about Global warming 20 years ago, there was a tone of doom and gloom talk. I remember teachers telling us how in 20 years the sea level would be higher then all the docks down the shore and the sea would be flooding residential areas..... None of that happened. Im sure it's happening, but its hard not to be suspect about the doom and gloom scenarios.
I know personally I have observed climate change. I'm only 33, but when I was a kid everyone in my hometown owned a snowmobile. Now, no one owns them. There simply isn't enough snow.
On the other hand. When I first heard about Global warming 20 years ago, there was a tone of doom and gloom talk. I remember teachers telling us how in 20 years the sea level would be higher then all the docks down the shore and the sea would be flooding residential areas..... None of that happened. Im sure it's happening, but its hard not to be suspect about the doom and gloom scenarios.
The two terms are not interchangeable. There is global warming which causes climate change. Sure, I know the terms are sloppily used but I'd expect a better usage here.It is considered gauche to refer to global warming these days. The politically correct term is climate change.
The two terms are not interchangeable. There is global warming which causes climate change. Sure, I know the terms are sloppily used but I'd expect a better usage here.
Yes, but aren't we chasing our semantic tail here. Human activity (read, release of CO2 causies global warming which causes climate change which is caused by human activity. And, yes, things other than human activity contribute to the cycle.Global warming is one way the earths climate is changing. The cause of the change is mostly human activity.
But Phil Jones disagrees? Isn't this the same man who, according to the Daily Fail, admitted a couple of years ago that global warming ended in 1998?
Yes. The hole in the ozone layer over Antarctica is allowing heat to escape, when it closes the Antarctic will warm.
I am looking for recent reviews of/sources of anti-science (re: climate) that passes over the higher bar. Not attacks on individuals, nor loud shouts of nonsense, but what on first glance (and ideally on second) appears to be sound argument. Any pointers? Again: the aim is to identify and respond to well-argued and misleading claims that might mislead
policy makers (not obvious hogwash).
While lots of scientific societies have put out "why it is real" pages, there is a perceived need for (soft spoken) scientific rebuttal of specific (ill founded) arguments. Does such a place already exist?
thx
lenny
This should all play out right? I mean for all the talk we have about doing something to combat it, little is ever done and it seems to me, what we would have to do....no one in the end would do it.
'Fraid so. As long as the USA displays an utter lack of leadership on this issue, no real, effective action will happen. If Romney is elected, goodbye. If Obama is elected and continues his present leadership, goodbye. As long as Republicans hold a majority in either house of congress, goodbye.This should all play out right? I mean for all the talk we have about doing something to combat it, little is ever done and it seems to me, what we would have to do....no one in the end would do it.
Yes. Remember that the IPCC reports are consensus documents. That means they are watered down to get them approved. They are, to use a dirty word, VERY conservative with regard to their predictions regarding future scenarios. So far, actual temperature, ice, etc. data show changes far worse than IPCC predictions.Time is definitely running out & we're likely committed to more drastic change than we'd like doing nothing is not an option, if we continue emitting at the current rate for the rest of the century we'll see 6 degrees of warming, an absolute nightmare scenario (2 degrees is considered safe, we're already 0.8 of a degree into that)