Then why did you bring it up?
I didn't, you did as part of the process of moving the goal posts.
You are in a thread on global warming, answering a post on global warming, did you just decided to make random Non sequitur statements about bio-engineering?
What exactly do you find non sequitur about bioengineering being the biggest reason we dodge the global warming bullet as you put it?
You made it non sequitur by suggesting bioengineering might grow corn on rocks.
All I’m doing is trying to get at the specifics of what you think bio-engineering can do to mitigate global warming.
And I said by increasing yields and resistance to drought etc.
If you would tell us what you meant and what you think they mean for global warming then we could discuss that instead, but you won’t do that, so all we can do is show how the main problems of climate change are not really addressed by bio-engineering.
I never said the main problems presented by global warming would be fixed by bioengineering. That's simply a result of you not reading for comprehension.
Why don't you tell me in what you fear is the biggest problem presented by global warming and when it will manifest itself. Then I'll tell you what I think the solution is.
You claimed bio-engineering would deal with the problems arising from global warming so you need to be prepared to discuss the specific problems global warming will cause.
Nope that's incorrect. Again I said I thought it would be one of biggest reasons we dodge your hypothetical bullet.
I asked you how bio-engineering would deal with effects of global warming, specifically the northward movement of climate zones.
And I said I doubt it would. That can be more easily solved by moving crops northward or building greenhouses to grow on land that isn't currently arable.
This means deserts where much of the current wheat/corn are gown and the favourable climate zones moving to places where there is no soil.
The bulk of your misunderstanding is not knowing where wheat and corn are grown. They aren't grown in the same areas, the bulk of wheat is grown in Alberta the bulk of corn is grown here in Ontario along the 401 corridor. The notion that the Great Lakes region, where the corn is grown, becoming a desert like you're claiming is absurd.
Clearly I do not think these are problems that can be addressed easily, or possibly at all.
This is alarmism. The sole purpose of which is to create confusion and panic. It has nothing to do with global warming and everything to do with human nature.
You are the one saying the effects of global warming are going to be easy to deal with yet time and time again you refuse to tell us what you think can be done about these problems but won’t drop your claim that they are easy to deal with.
They aren't "easy" to deal with. Nothing in life is easy.
However you keep presenting ridiculous scenarios, like suddenly wanting to grow corn on rock. The solution is equally ridiculous in its simplicity, you build a greenhouse if that's what you want to do. I doubt anyone will want to grow corn on shield rock. Ever.
The fact is, you continue to dodge these questions and apparently think that if you make a claim vague enough you don’t have to defend it.
I haven't dodged any questions. I've been dealing with a rather unusual use of goal post shifting. You ask a question and then apply the answer to another problem altogether.
Case in point bioengineering. If I've got this straight, you think global warming will mean making a shift northwards and then bioengineering corn to grow in the north.
That's wrong.
Bioengineer the corn to grow where it is, in fields not on rocks. This is being done right now, as varieties are being designed to grow in more arid regions. Bioengineer the corn for greater yields so that if the amount or arable land is decreased the yields are higher and the net result is still the same. This too is currently being done.
If corn can't grow for some reason (which I doubt, corn grows from Mexico to Canada, the shift in regions due to climate change isn't that great), then it might mean making a change to wheat. Our diet might have to change if the cost of corn gets too high. Since a lot of the corn is silage it might mean a more vegetarian diet for our children's children. I hear it's better for you anyways.
There's dozens of ways to mitigate any change in growing regions due to climate change. Especially corn.