• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Gaming Computer - Recommendations?

Mine was an HP and at the time I couldn't buy the parts (including the 24" LCD) for the price that we were selling it for at work. My problems are that I can't run the CreationKit for Skyrim very well and I'm bottlenecked at both the RAM and SATA. I added a Samsung 470 SDD and migrated my OS there, but because it's an older SATA connection it has hardly decreased my boot time. I could add more RAM, but it wouldn't be higher speed than what I'm already running. I've switched the case and replaced the power supply.

AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core 2.2 GHz
5 GB of RAM 640 GB in two HDD and 120GB on SDD
My roommate's old ATI Radeon HD 5700

EDIT: Mine will not run Skyrim at full settings, but I do have a ton of mods. I want to be able to run the Creation Kit well, and the new X game when it comes out at full settings on my two screens. I won't be able to because I don't see myself having any money in the next few months...*sigh*

If you can come up with $50, you might be able to scrape off a little rust with this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Phenom-...sor-/130991235207?pt=CPUs&hash=item1e7fafa087
 
Operating System
Windows 8 Pro with Media Center 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 3820 @ 3.60GHz
Sandy Bridge-E 32nm Technology
Quadcore
RAM
16.0GB DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASRock X79 Extreme4 (CPUSocket)

Graphics
SAMSUNG (1920x1080@60Hz)
Cintiq 22HD (1920x1080@60Hz)
1280MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 (EVGA) 130 °F

Hard Drives
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 (SATA) 90 °F

Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW UH12LS29
ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device

Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio

^^^(Original OS was windows 7) Was the setup I bought last year. The processor is mid-grade for the core-i7 types but this setup's done pretty well with BattleField 3, Diablo III, Crysis, and the 3D software I use for work, and of course photoshop. It was $1800 though, above the OP's budget but I saw some better prices and more processor cores back then if there was a willingness on trading off on RAM that came out of the box.

The office I work in recently bought a beast machine with 64GB of RAM and 12 cores... which... was astounding, and imaginably expensive but... anyway...
 
Last edited:
Well, you can never get too much RAM.

- Funny, it wasn't that long ago when 16G was a whopping big harddisk.

- Actually, I remember when 40MB was a big HD, but then, I'm ancient.:blush:

Hans

My first hard drive on a windows 95 laptop was, from memory, about 400 megabytes.

My current laptop is 450 gigabytes, with another 1.5 terabytes of external drive sapce.
 
Hard drive? Whazzat??

My dad, in a effort to cut a little cost, was convinced by a bloke in a pub that a real gaming computer needed as much memory as possible, and he should buy the meaty 48k version of the Spectrum.

Happy days.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom