• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

France bans the Burka

dafydd

Banned
Joined
Feb 14, 2008
Messages
35,398
I just heard on the BBC news that the French parliament has voted to ban the Bourka in public places.
 
I don't want to hear the French accuse anybody else of being "Anti Moslem" from here on.
I personally dislike the Burka, but, seriously, this is starting on a very slippery slope. I guess Nun's habits are next, then Caftens on Ultra Orthodox Jews.
 
Last edited:
I don't want to hear the French accuse anybody else of being "Anti Moslem" from here on.
I personally dislike the Burka, but, seriously, this is starting on a very slippery slope. I guess Nun's habits are next, then Caftens on Ultra Orthodox Jews.

when have "the French" accused anybody of being anti moslem?
 
Ban Burka? Are you still allowed to wear masks on halloween and a big Father Christmas beard?

As for the safety aspect, I'd like to see the incidences of someone being put in danger because Mademoiselle Hayet covers her face.
 
Come on people. This is supposed to be a site for critical thinking.
They haven't banned the burka.
They have banned full face covering veils,

From your own link:

The bill would make it illegal to wear garments such as the niqab or burka, which incorporate a full-face veil, anywhere in public.

You're right, it doesn't ban the burqa, it just bans the burqa anywhere but in the house. :rolleyes:

which is a safety issue.

Oh, please. :rolleyes: Safety isn't the issue, and you damn well know it.
 
Ban Burka? Are you still allowed to wear masks on halloween and a big Father Christmas beard?

As for the safety aspect, I'd like to see the incidences of someone being put in danger because Mademoiselle Hayet covers her face.
Do people wear masks to get their driver's license pics?
I know in my country they can't. Same thing.
But let's call a spade a spade. Hallowe'eners aren't generally suicide bombers or fanatic religionists.
 
From your own link:



You're right, it doesn't ban the burqa, it just bans the burqa anywhere but in the house. :rolleyes:



Oh, please. :rolleyes: Safety isn't the issue, and you damn well know it.

The point being is that it is an hysterical statement.
This is just as true:
France bans blacks from wearing the burqa!!
 
I do not think it is a safety issue: that is certainly not what has been reported as a justification here. The French approach to integration has always been different from what I am familiar with in this country. At least so I believe. They have seemed to take the view that those who live in France should be French: and thus multiculturalism has a different value.

I am very undecided about this. I can see arguments on both sides. But I will say that the idea of police officers arresting people for wearing the veil does not sit easily with me: and I do not envy those who have to make arrests, particularly since there are financial penalties for wearing it; but stronger ones for imposing it on a woman. The investigations are a potential nightmare: I suspect this will not survive challenge in the courts
 
Ban Burka? Are you still allowed to wear masks on halloween and a big Father Christmas beard?

Best I can tell this one is veil only. Odd most equiverlents in other countries have banned all facial coverings in public.
 
Canada is a very multi-cultural country and safety has been debated as an issue in regards to face veils.
There is also an identity issue.
 
Best I can tell this one is veil only. Odd most equiverlents in other countries have banned all facial coverings in public.


No. As far as I know this includes all full face covering
 
Do people wear masks to get their driver's license pics?
I know in my country they can't. Same thing.[/quote[

Except motorcyclists wear helmets which cover the face when driving.

But let's call a spade a spade. Hallowe'eners aren't generally suicide bombers or fanatic religionists.

Nor are those wearing the veil in france. Aditionaly there have been complaints about Anonymous and there are other forms of dress that cover the face:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ProvisionalIRAGalbally.jpg
 
Canada is a very multi-cultural country and safety has been debated as an issue in regards to face veils.
There is also an identity issue.

There's no safety issue involved. You know it, I know it, the other posters know it, and the French haven't been shy about the fact that they know it.

So stop wasting time with this crap; if it's the best argument you've got, it's pretty much an admission that that you know this is wrong.
 
There's no safety issue involved. You know it, I know it, the other posters know it, and the French haven't been shy about the fact that they know it.

So stop wasting time with this crap; if it's the best argument you've got, it's pretty much an admission that that you know this is wrong.
Why is it an issue to wear a balaclava or mask into a bank then?
Or to get a license of any sort?
 
Do people wear masks to get their driver's license pics?
I know in my country they can't. Same thing.

This bill doesn't just address that sensible requirement, it bans the burka in public places.

But let's call a spade a spade. Hallowe'eners aren't generally suicide bombers or fanatic religionists.

Neither are French Muslims. What's your point?

How many suicide bombers in the West have been dressed in burkas before they carried out their evil deeds? As far as I recall, the four bombers on 7/7 were clean shaven Yorkshire lads wearing normal British get-up.
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom