I went to my hometown to tend to a
geocache that I placed as a memorial for my grandfather and looked for birds while there. Things were going well early on and I saw several sparrows, but then I stepped onto a yellowjacket (aggressive, carnivorous wasp, Vespula maculifrons) nest and got stung a dozen times before I could run away. Of course it was a mile walk to finish checking on the cache and get back to my car, and all of the stings were in my legs... In any case, here's what I saw:
Mt. Vernon, OH, USA, 7-27-2009:
American crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)
American robin (Turdus migratorius)
Canada goose (Branta canadensis)
European starling (Sturnus vulgaris) (2 flocks of several hundred birds each...)
Gray catbird (Dumetella carolinensis)
House sparrow (Passer domesticus)
Mourning dove (Zenaida macroura)
Northern cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)
Savannah Sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis)
To add a bit of humor to the stinging incident, the high school in Mt. Vernon is the one that I attended, they are the fighting Yellowjackets...