I would say a Ruddy Duck.
ETA: Male, winter plumage.
As you hinted at, not a duck but a Grebe. My guess a Pied-billed Grebe
Where are you? The ospreys don't seem to be back in vermont yet.I had the pleasure of seeing an osprey, Pandion haliaetus carolinensis, recently. I walked outside my front porch and discovered a massive amount of feathers on my front porch. I was collecting them and happened to glance up at my roof to see an osprey with a ring-necked dove (Streptopelia capicola). He took off toward my backyard canal with the bird in his talons (I suspect it's a he, because of the wingspan, but it's simply conjecture).
Wow, I had no idea we had a raptor around here that looked like this:
[qimg]http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/imagehosting/56649cf0199b3322.jpg[/qimg]
Nothing like a 10 to 1 zoom on your camera to see things that you've never seen before. I had a hard time believing what I was seeing when I was looking at the camera display screen. But according Wikipedia article it's a pretty common bird. I think it's eating a lizard.
I think it's an American kestrel
I am amazed how birds identify stuff that is good for them* when they clearly do not see these things in the wild. The woodpeckers with which I am familiar are primarily insectivores; yet they recognize suet (fat) as food when it is hanging in a cage outside my apartment and, if it contains peanuts, they pick them out. Also, niger thistle seeds are tiny and we hang them in fine-mesh bags so the birds can peck them out. Those bags are goldfinch magnets despite not looking anything like a natural food-source.The Great Spotted Woodpecker ... seemed to like the peanuts. Unfortunately, by the time I'd fetched my camera, he'd gone again.
Rolfe.
On that thought (and quite the reverse, I guess), I watched a Grey Heron stalk up on a breeding pair of toads today. It only grabbed the toads in the tip of it's bill and promptly let it go. It later appeared to dip the tip of it's bill in the pond to wash it. It definitely wasn't drinking.
My questions are, since they have no sense of taste or smell, what is it that caused the Heron to drop the toads? Slime, I guess, but what in the slime caused it to drop the toad, since it wouldn't be taste. Secondly, why did it try in the first place? The toads were only in an inch or two of water, so the Heron should have been able to identify it, surely? Why try to spear something that is inedible? It's a fairly mature bird, so I'd be surprised if it was the first time it had encountered toads.