• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

First World Festival problems

Commentary from a local news site doesn't pull any punches. Apparently the organizers wanted to have a long-standing event moved because it would have clashed. Criticism is also levelled at the Ministry of Tourism for letting things get to this stage.

As if getting one’s head around such matters is not enough, for the promoters to have reportedly enquired if the George Town Regatta could be rescheduled lends credence to what Piers Morgan recently described as a US culture of ‘rich, publicity craving, materialistic, talentless, self absorbed, social media fanatics’ who arrogantly believe they can do as they please.


Well, sadly, everyone now knows that one cannot just waltz into a sovereign nation and demand that their wishes be catered to simply because you have a few dollars in your pocket or a trust fund.

http://www.tribune242.com/news/2017/apr/28/tribune-comment-fyre-festival-organisers-showed-di/
 
Last edited:
One of the festival attendees is suing for $100 million for significant emotional pain and suffering. It's a class action suit on behalf of all attendees.
 
Fyre Festival in the Bahamas was touted as being a luxury event with great music and beautiful people situated in an exotic cay.

Tickets averaged $12,000.

The reality didn't quite live up to expectations:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/artic...with-ticket-holders-still-stranded-in-bahamas



Someone apparently involved with the planning of the festival village, though not brought into until quite late on, comments:

http://nymag.com/thecut/2017/04/fyre-festival-exumas-bahamas-disaster.html



I particularly enjoyed this quote when concerns were raised by planners:



If you want to know how sympathetic people have been to the plight of festival-goers, it's probably pertinent to mention that the cheese "sandwich" supplied to guests has its own Twitter account.

I haven't been to a festival in years, but it strikes me that anything short of preparations similar to those for D-Day are going to result in catastrophe, having been to Glastonbury, which is perhaps the gold standard (at least in the UK) for having a well run event.

It's possible the organisers were simply in over their head. Maybe they were just paying homage to Woodstock, but at least there the people got to hear the bands play.

Attempting to give a ****
 
What a fiasco....they didn't even offer free time in the ball pool.

If you're interested, here's a good article from nymag written by someone who was involved in organizing the festival. They saw pretty quickly that it would be a disaster and bowed out.

http://nymag.com/thecut/2017/04/fyre-festival-exumas-bahamas-disaster.html

My favorite part was that he got called to do this in early March for an event in April. I plan my personal vacations further out than that.
 
The meandering apology on the remnants of their website almost reads like a third party satire on how the organisers of failed festival might try to explain the woeful inadequacy of their "planning."

At its heart, it seems that they decided where they wanted to hold the festival first, without the slightest idea of whether the island location could actually support or even temporarily house the massive influx of people.
 
How is it not a festival?

a : a time of celebration marked by special observances
b : feast 2
2
: an often periodic celebration or program of events or entertainment having a specified focus a daffodil festival a Greek festival
3
: gaiety, conviviality

Judging by the Lord of the Flies references on the news, a lack of celebration, gaiety and conviviality may tend to take away its festival like qualities!
 
The meandering apology on the remnants of their website almost reads like a third party satire on how the organisers of failed festival might try to explain the woeful inadequacy of their "planning."

At its heart, it seems that they decided where they wanted to hold the festival first, without the slightest idea of whether the island location could actually support or even temporarily house the massive influx of people.

Wow, they hired 737 planes!
 
Adversity makes for the best memories.

"I was there, locked in that airport."
"My android battery died."
"I ate a rat."


Good times.
 
"I ate a rat." is pretty low on the badness scale. You were hungry, you ate. "A rat ate me" would be something to complain about.

At Woodstock I pooped in my hat.

(Is this the "secrets you'll never tell" thread?)

No I didn't. I never did that. I wasn't even wearing a hat.
 
At Woodstock I pooped in my hat.

(Is this the "secrets you'll never tell" thread?)

No I didn't. I never did that. I wasn't even wearing a hat.

I never borrowed your hat, I gave it back to you, and the poo was there when you gave it to me.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom