• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

First US nukes in a generation approved.

For the record, we don't require nuclear tests to proof device design concepts any more. Our computer modelling is suficient to assure functionality(though many like a good excuse to Rock the Casbah every now and again, and I can't say that I don't feel better about designs after they've dug a few holes in the ground).

No argument, though I note that perhaps a third of all hydronuke tests are done to improve the "equations of state" on which the codes are built, so it apparent that the detail is never quite what the physicists want when running a simulation. I too like to see a good test, but I'm kind of pleased that the whole government/industry complex isn't running on scared like it was in the 70s and 80s. The world needed a breather from the cold war.
 
Good to Hear But...

It's good to hear that two new power plants will go up. But I probably won't ever see it in my lifetime.

Diablo Canyon Power Plant started construction in 1966. It went on line in 1985. Demonstrations, a riot or two, attempts to sabotage it, attempts to prevent the fuel delivery, public hearings, hearings to counter the previous public hearings, court battles to overturn the most recent public hearing, appeals to overturn the lower court, EPA hearings, Coastal Commmission hearings...and on and on. It's a miracle that it ever went online.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom