• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Feng shui scandals, Feng shui woopsie

Not only is there no evidence Feng Shui actually works, there is no evidence it even exists. That is, I know of no evidence that there exists any modern body of knowledge that traces its roots to ancient China and that has been used consistently to design or orient buildings. And I have looked.

The claim I've heard to rebut this is that the Feng Shui masters closely guard their secrets and only pass them on to their relatives or favorite student. Even if we accept this, it means that there is no way to find, test, or use Feng Shui, since we have no idea who these masters are.
 
Last edited:
Not only is there no evidence Feng Shui actually works, there is no evidence it even exists. That is, I know of no evidence that there exists any modern body of knowledge that traces its roots to ancient China and that has been used consistently to design or orient buildings. And I have looked.

The claim I've heard to rebut this is that the Feng Shui masters closely guard their secrets and only pass them on to their relatives or favorite student. Even if we accept this, it means that there is no way to find, test, or use Feng Shui, since we have no idea who these masters are.

It seems to be really big in Asian cultures, though.
I always thought it was a traditional thing.
 
The claim I've heard to rebut this is that the Feng Shui masters closely guard their secrets and only pass them on to their relatives or favorite student. Even if we accept this, it means that there is no way to find, test, or use Feng Shui, since we have no idea who these masters are.
We must keep the secrets of the Force a closely guarded secret, or the Dark Lord of the Sith will steal our power!
yoda-1.gif
 
Not only is there no evidence Feng Shui actually works, there is no evidence it even exists. That is, I know of no evidence that there exists any modern body of knowledge that traces its roots to ancient China and that has been used consistently to design or orient buildings. And I have looked.

The claim I've heard to rebut this is that the Feng Shui masters closely guard their secrets and only pass them on to their relatives or favorite student. Even if we accept this, it means that there is no way to find, test, or use Feng Shui, since we have no idea who these masters are.

The article did immediately make me think exactly how would we be able to differentiate scandalous, fake Feng Shui from the real thing?

As my wife is Asian in my weaker moments I've thought about helping her set up as a FS consultant. It does seem a relatively harmless form of woo in that it doesn't seem to do much more than separate the gullible from their cash. If that money was going to me rather than someone who actually bought into this baloney then I'd almost be performing a puiblic service...
 
The article did immediately make me think exactly how would we be able to differentiate scandalous, fake Feng Shui from the real thing?

As my wife is Asian in my weaker moments I've thought about helping her set up as a FS consultant. It does seem a relatively harmless form of woo in that it doesn't seem to do much more than separate the gullible from their cash. If that money was going to me rather than someone who actually bought into this baloney then I'd almost be performing a puiblic service...

Plus:

There is an actual useful service involved: interior decorating.
With a Woo-story attached.

But even is it does nothing paranormal, at least you can arrange the furniture in a pleasing manner.
Or, if you don't like the client, make him climb over the couch to get into the kitchen.
 
Biomorph, good point about the equator. I did point out that south of the equator things would be reversed. In my opinion people should always take account of local conditions when building. IE: an igloo in Florida doesn't really work very well. I think it was in "Your Engineered House" that the writer mentions a neighbour who could not understand why his drive was blocked by snow drifts and the writer's was not. Simple really. The writer took into account local wind patterns and built to suit. Result was his drive was never blocked by snow because the wind kept it clear.
Point is feng shui does have some basis in good building practice, but it has been buried in mysticism and woo. One needs hip boots and a big shovel to dig out the dragon manure and get to the good stuff. Better to rely on local codes and sound engineering principals.
 
Any joy digging this out, Foolmewunz? I fancy a laugh. :)

I actually found it, and STOLE IT. I want to keep this in my own skeptical library. It's worthy of its own thread, but here's the opening tidbit....

II. A. The Entrances
There are two entrances leading into the hall. One from the South-East sector and one from the West sector.
The South-East entrances is good for academic studies and paper work while the West entrance is one of headache, bone ache, travelling or moving around and losing money.
In 2008, the Star of Lawsuits and disputes comes to the West entrance and the Star of Best Feng Shui, Unexpected Fortune comes to the South-East.

I don't have it on soft copy, but I've re-checked four times. The spelling and punctuation and strange assortment of upper/lower case is from The Master. The entrance that's mentioned as head and bone ache and losing money is to the office of our Managing Director for South China!!!!
 
Last edited:
Putting aside the mystical hooey, I find the principles of feng shui extremely effective in creating an interior space that is practical and utilitarian, and at the same time emotionally soothing and aesthetically pleasing.

The basic idea is to clear out the clutter, remove useless or non-functioning junk crap materials, provide easy access to every useful location and object within the space, to open up air flow and introduce light into every corner of the area.

For example, I recently inherited a large high school art room from the previous teacher, whom I have replaced through the end of the semester. Her room was a feng shui disaster, with heaps of useless junk in very non-strategic places, rolling shelves loaded with materials blocking areas that needed to be accessed, little to no artwork on the walls (in an art room!), and a generally impractical arrangement of furniture, shelving, storage facilities, etc.

I've spent numerous hours rearranging the room, getting rid of -- or re-purposing -- useless, broken and impractical stuff, opening up access to all areas of the room, and putting artwork on the walls, matched by hue and/or subject matter in different areas.

The result is a more soothing, appealing, accessible space that allows for a freer "flow" of creative energy -- which may sound like woo to some of you, but it's essential for artistic creation and education.

What I mean is that you can now walk over and grab sheets of paper or pencils or paints from a given area of the room, which was heretofore blocked by some heap of non-functioning junk. You can look around the room and be inspired by, or simply start a dialogue about, artwork spanning multiple centuries and continents in a variety of styles and media. Your path is no longer obstructed by furniture at weird angles. Light comes in to illuminate all areas of the space.

All of this I achieved employing the mundane, practical aspects of feng shui -- leaving aside the mystical, woo-based, demon-exorcising claims of the more quackish practitioners of the craft.
 
If you take out the Chi/Energy crap then it's not Feng Shui, just intelligent use of space. You're not describing the use of Feng Shui, but of practical use of the space you've been allotted.

I've seen (I think in Feng Shui for Dummies, which should be renamed Feng Shui for Gullible Dummies) a comment that Cro Magnon man was already aware of Feng Shui and used it to determine the best location of the cave - good vantage point of the surrounding land, proximity to water and food sources.... Gee, that's Feng Shui? I moved into a building near where I work and close to shopping. Is that Feng Shui.

Feng Shuri is all about the mumbo jumbo. If you remove the woo, it's just good interior design.
 
I was going to say what you said FMW...." If you remove the woo, it's just good interior design."
It isnt just about the design though, its about toilets draining your money, doorways draining your luck if you face them and all kinds of rubbish that just makes for an OCD!
 
I would like to quote the great Billy Connolly who said this at his show.


"Do you want to know what Feng Shui is, it's the flow of ********"

Edited by Locknar: 
Edited, breach of rule 10; please do not curse in your posts or alter such words in an attempt to by-pass the auto-censor
 
Last edited by a moderator:
... feng shui does give some good precepts for building and ergonomics. For instance, building so your door and windows are facing south. Good idea north of the equator, better insolation. Reverse it for south of the equator.

Are you seriously telling us you need a Chinese Master to explain that to you?

...But even is it does nothing paranormal, at least you can arrange the furniture in a pleasing manner.
Or, if you don't like the client, make him climb over the couch to get into the kitchen.

That's what I'm talking about!


Feng Shuri is all about the mumbo jumbo. If you remove the woo, it's just good interior design.

As my current favourite rock group advises, Get Busy Livin'!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_7p...L94UKMTqg-9AcbumCX0oa8mljTDjJosqG&playnext=12
 
On the rare occasions when I meet a feng shui believer I always say that it only works in one area of life. Contraception. The woman goes in the bedroom and pulls the wardrobe in front of the door so the man can't get in.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom