• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Facebook privacy issues

Precisely. LinkedIn is the FaceBook for professionals. FaceBook is the MySpace for adults. MySpace is the AOL chatroom of the 21st century.

I only use one at a time though; had a Myspace page for a while before switching to Facebook because the privacy settings were better (i.e. no random person could surf the net and find my Facebook page because of the fact that I set it to only be visible to friends, unlike the Myspace). I've considered LinkedIn, but I have yet to see a good reason for joining it at this point. I have a perfectly good network in my company's global address book if I need to find someone; why bother with another?
 
LinkedIn is good for sales folks, Business Development folks, small-to-medium businesses wanting to network with a variety of nearby companies, folks looking for employment, or those already employed but interested in keeping feelers out there for other opportunities (without actively trolling job sites or headhunters). Unlike FB, it actually matters in LinkedIn how many of the contacts you have are people you actually know or how many associations/groups you actually have relevant connections to. It's a quick-reference for your professional network when used properly, otherwise it's just another FB-like page with your name on it.
 
The younger generation loves the humor of themselves lying around drunk and doing stupid things. It will take a generation for them to move into positions of power before it stops being a black mark on people's reputations w.r.t. hiring.
That's why I said 2040, not 2020.

Or did you respond to one post of mine, but meant to be responding to another?
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom