• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: Electric Vehicles II

We're in the time of year where my sunroof gets a lot of use. Driving home from fencing at night the temps are just right to need neither heating nor cooling, so I can open the front windows and the sunroof and let that wonderful fresh airflow help pull off the sweat/stank before I can get home and shower. And even when I'm not Driving While Gross, being able to have fresh airflow in the car means a lot, considering most of the year I have to have either the AC or the heater on with all the windows buttoned up.
 
Two realities will only accelerate the adoption of EVs.

Solar and high voltage home batteries. You can now purchase a 16KW 400 volt UL listed battery for under 2 thousand US. 400 volt DC superchargers in homes will become common inside of a decade.
 
Sunroofs never made sense. I have owned cars with sunroofs, T-tops, and convertibles. And the only one that made any sense were convertibles. And even that was marginal.
I respectfully disagree. Perhaps it depends on the design of the car, whether the sunroof does anything useful and how the wind behaves. I liked the ones I had. But the newest car I ever had a sunroof on was vintage 1971, and I would not bet on later ones being designed in the same integral way.
 
I remember having to close the sunroof on our 1979 Mazda RX-7 over on the east side of the Washington Cascades because some dang farmer was plowing on a Sunday and stirring up the dust. We had overnighted in Wenatchee and were headed for I-90 via Blewett Pass so as to head to Tacoma and celebrate my mother's birthday.

It wasn't a farmer making the dust.

Wow, just realized how wildly off topic this has gotten.
 
Two realities will only accelerate the adoption of EVs.

Solar and high voltage home batteries. You can now purchase a 16KW 400 volt UL listed battery for under 2 thousand US. 400 volt DC superchargers in homes will become common inside of a decade.

Yes indeed.

I've just installed a new battery system at home, and one of the options was an integrated DC charger, which can be added to the 'stack' at any time.

My car charges from zero in four hours (10 kWh battery), but with my new solar system (4 kW) that is entirely free from an afternoon's sun.
 
Not a lot of sun around here now and there won't be for about another five months, but EVs are flying off the forecourts due to the price of petrol.
 
New new Leaf being delivered next Tuesday. No sunroof, but it does have that glass that switches between clear and opaque at the touch of a button. Yhe roof is in section, so you have bits clear and other bits dark. Also has a HUD
 
They say small amounts of electricity are being returned from the BYD, bit I don't see it on any of the apps. Their experiment is not going great, but I've sent my last email enquiring about it
 
Two realities will only accelerate the adoption of EVs.

Solar and high voltage home batteries. You can now purchase a 16KW 400 volt UL listed battery for under 2 thousand US. 400 volt DC superchargers in homes will become common inside of a decade.
Issue in the UK is charging - many people will need to use on street charging and you don't control who can park in front of your house, that's even in areas in which you require a local residents permit to park. This is typical of UK towns - in the attached image each "house" is in fact 2 separate flats, so even if you made it only you can park in front of your home it wouldn't work because there are two homes sharing the same frontage. Sadly in the UK electrical vehicles and cheap charging at home are still generally for the better off.

1791291889463.png

(Just bought a new car and would have bought an electric car but will be moving within the year and won't have a driveway at my new home.)
 
This is being addressed, though slower than it should be. A friend in Brighton positively lured me to visit her with a photo of the 4 kw kerbside charger outside her house. It's one of several in that and surrounding streets. (She doesn't have a car at all, and that's why I was being lured, to take her on a few jaunts.) The provision seems adequate at the moment. Drivers of ICE vehicles were generally leaving the parking space clear although there was no sign mandating that, and one EV driver who arrived in hope just as I was plugging in said, "no worries, there's another one just round the corner."

The fact is that every car is parked somewhere overnight. The challenge is to create enough opportunities that when the car needs to be charged the driver can access a suitably-equipped parking space for the night, whether it's kerbside or in a residential car park or wherever. In addition many visitor attractions are now seeing the benefit of providing AC charging spaces in their car parks so that people without home charging can leave the venue with a full charge. Most of these are considerably cheaper than the big DC public chargers.

They're also frequently vacant, and that last post encapsulates why. People are reluctant to buy an EV if they don't have home charging, because they are (often unrealistically) pessimistic about how they will charge their car. People with home charging won't use destination chargers most of the time because they're more expensive than home charging. So the destination chargers, which make life so much easier for those without, are seen to be empty and providers question the utility of installing more.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom