• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: Electric Vehicles II

That's BRILLIANT. It's what's needed everywhere.
We have a handful of them in Wokingham (though we don't need to use them), and a couple of years ago used one in Portsmouth (it was quite handy as it's otherwise very hard to find on-street parking there).
 
Makes sense. There are some very dodgy machines on offer mail order, and how do you police what sort of things your tenants buy?
You don't. You provide a dedicated location away from the building and state than charging them in your apartment is a breach of lease conditions
 
I was watching a US YouTube video about problems people had when a manufacturer went bust and they couldn't get a replacement battery for their expensive e-bike. It was all a bit odd though because he seemed to be implying that fairly early battery failure was common and almost to be expected, which I don't think is most people's experience. I think the trick is to get an established make and be prepared to pay for the battery to be replaced by the manufacturer if it comes to that.

My brother is one of those people.

:(
 
Every day a problem. Today the Octopus app thinks that the car isn't connected to the charger. It bloody well is and I've tried it with two cables. I've restarted the charger and checked the settings in the car. Everything is as it was. Our other ev charged fine last night, but Octopus aren't controlling that
 
Turn off Smart charging and just use the timer on the charger itself, or however you usually charge the other car.
 
Oh dear. How long did his battery last?

About five years I think.

Apparently someone has recently posted a method for converting it to accept 'open source' controllers and battery, but it means losing some of the features (like regenerative braking, and torque sensing).
 
I didn't think regenerative braking was a thing on bikes. Not great, but at least he'll get to use the bike again.
 
I didn't think regenerative braking was a thing on bikes. Not great, but at least he'll get to use the bike again.

I think it’s rare - neither my Aventon nor my Canyon have it.

Riding in very hilly country, it would be a blessing if implemented well. I often grind up hills, and then need some brakes on the subsequent long downhills to keep the speed under control - I get nervous much above 30 mph on winding roads. Seems like a waste of potential energy.

Still, using modest boost I still have adequate range remaining after most rides. Canyon offers an expansion battery (for $500 plus a cable!) that fits in a bottle cage, but I don’t see the need for that now. When I get near 50 mile rides it might start making sense.

55284554734_ab39aa0fd6.jpg


The gap after ride #14 was due to heart valve replacement surgery last October 30. I was not to lift more than 10 lbs for 3 months and was on blood thinners for that time, so road riding seemed unnecessarily risky. I was also fitted with a pacemaker “just in case”. You can see I’m gradually recovering to where I was prior to the surgery. The boost is a welcome way to keep my exertion level under control.
 
Last edited:
I had heard that the attempts to develop regenerative braking for e-bikes had produced devices that were so heavy they cancelled out any advantage they gained. It's possible advances have been made though.

I have a range extender in a bottle cage. The integral battery is 250 watt-hours, and the extra 210 watt-hours from the extension battery (which weighs 1.6 kg) makes a significant difference.

20260408_174254.jpg

Last week I did a 45-mile ride in moderately hilly country and got back to the car with 33% of the integral battery remaining. (The range extender, when fitted, is used first.) It was quite a cold day, and I'd probably have got more range in warmer weather.
 
Last edited:
Afaik, the problem of regenerative breaking is that the current you feed the battery is so uneven that causes fast aging and memory effects.
 
My brother's hub motor was made by BionX.


They went belly-up in 2018.

BionX motors are incorporated in large rear wheel hubs and are noted for their low noise; regenerative braking capability and hub-embedded motor controller.

He added to BionX hub and control gear to a Greenspeed recumbent tricycle.

It was great while it lasted, because it meant we could ride together, and he commuted to work on it for a couple of years.
 
At least that's better sourced than the claim that Tesla blamed a couple for driving the car in heavy rain.
 
Drove home this evening after my wife had a medical appointment in Silverdale, WA. (We're a little outside Port Townsend, Google Maps will tell you how that takes. Other than half an hour for McDinner.
Saw about 10 Amazon delivery vans heading back after their runs. Every single one of them electric.
I probably said this before, but that seems like a great application for electric vehicles. You don't need huge range, you just need enough to complete the route. Then you can charge overnight and while loading and do it again tomorrow.
I will confess, however, that the one that was just leaving our house as we drove up (good timing!) was conventional.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom