Quad4_72
AI-EE-YAH!
- Joined
- Nov 7, 2006
- Messages
- 6,354
I haven't read most of this thread, so perhaps what I'm saying will already have been said, but I imagine it bears saying more than once anyway. If your experience of homosexual men is observing who shows up at a club devoted to drag acts, I think you've met only a self-selected subset of gay men, too exclusive to base generalities on. Unless you're very good at spotting, there's a good chance you've omitted a good number of gay men from your sample, because the ones who are not effeminate, or inclined to hang out at drag shows may not be distinguishable as gay.
I understand what you're saying, but in my sample size of the hundreds of men who act masculine, don't you think I would have met at least ONE in all of those people who was gay but acted masculine as well? Like I said, I know them all pretty personally, and there was not a single one who admitted to being gay. I have the margin of error for those that have an elaborate cover, but as everyone is suggesting in this thread, shouldn't I have met a least ONE individual who was openly gay but acted masculine?
Maybe it depends on where you are. There are plenty of gay men "running around" up here in Vermont, where people have pretty much stopped caring who is what as long as they don't do it in the road, and my own anecdotal sampling suggests that in a culture where being gay is rapidly becoming normal and unexceptional, most of the gay people themselves appear normal and unexceptional as well.
I have never been to Vermont, so maybe you are correct for that state and it is a special case.