• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Dual booting XP/Linux

LFTKBS

Muse
Joined
Aug 9, 2003
Messages
968
Hey, so right now I'm running Suse 9 on a POS machine. I've got 7 gigs free on a 12 gig disk (It's from 1998; don't hassle me) and I'd like to add a Windows partition for my Photoshop and Illustrator projects, since I occasionally bring work home.

Also, I'm building a new box (yes!) in a few weeks, so I'd like some practice on dual-booting.

So:

1) I keep another 2 gigs on the Suse partition. Is 5 gigs enough to install XP Pro w/ Office+Photoshop+Illustrator+GAIM+Firefox etc?

2) I still suck with Linux stuff, so what's the basic process for adding the partition and changing the bootloader for selection processes?

3) Should I just wait until I have a sweet virgin drive and new hardware or what?
 
Well, it should work but then lots of things should work.

The likely problems for you to hit are :
- Windows generally assumes that it is the only OS on your PC (let's be honest, Windows assumes it's the only OS in the world). This means that XP might overwrite your Master Boot Record meaning that to boot into SuSE you would have to boot off the SuSE CD, then recreate the MBR from there.

For adding the partition, you can probably do it through SuSE (have a look at Yast2 and see if there's something in there). The real Linux utility to do it is called "fdisk" but it's a bit cryptic and I wouldn't recommend it unless you're reasonably confident that you know what you're doing. Probably best would be to use another partitioning tool such as Partition Magic (which, I think, you boot from floppy to run). There are lots of free ones around and as you are converting empty disk space into a partition rather than resizing existing partitions, it's pretty low risk.

No idea about sizing but I'd be very surprised if 5GB wasn't enough to install what you want to with XP.
 
I used Partition Magic to set up my dual boot system. I found it really straightforward to do and I'm not the most computer literate person around. Partition Magic also comes with Boot Magic which takes care of the booting issues for you. When you switch on you simply have a screen which allows you to select which OS you want to use.
 
If you don't/won't have Partition Magic or equivalent, then the safest way is to install Windows first, and to partition the disk as one of the first steps of the Win install process (this is WAY easier if it is NT/2K/XP). This is because, as iain says, Windows likes to believe it owns the PC and so demands to boot off drive C: (it can be fooled by PartMag into doing this on just about any partition).

After that is done to your satisfaction, install the other OS onto the other partition as per the manual. Most Linuxes I have seen allow installation onto non-primary partitions no problem. There may some issues between which boot menu appears - the Windows one or the Linux one (lilo?) - but that shouldn't stop normal operation of both.

(Just as a hint, if you want to run Win95/98 for games or other perverted purposes, do THAT first before the NT/2K/XP install.)
 
LFTKBS said:
Hey, so right now I'm running Suse 9 on a POS machine. I've got 7 gigs free on a 12 gig disk (It's from 1998; don't hassle me) and I'd like to add a Windows partition for my Photoshop and Illustrator projects, since I occasionally bring work home.

Also, I'm building a new box (yes!) in a few weeks, so I'd like some practice on dual-booting.

So:

1) I keep another 2 gigs on the Suse partition. Is 5 gigs enough to install XP Pro w/ Office+Photoshop+Illustrator+GAIM+Firefox etc?

...snip..

You are probably pushing it with just 5 gigs. A windows XP pro installation is going to eat a good 2 gigs, office 2003 around 350Mb, PS CS 180Mb, Illustrator CS 450Mb, Firefox 20Mb.
 
Just partitioning it isn't the problem, I don't think. I figured I'd create a new partition w/ Yast and then install XP on it, but you're right when you say that I'm concerned about Windows deciding it doesn't want the filthy Linux and deleting the partition along with the MBR.

Maybe I'm just being stupid and paranoid.

Probably the best thing is two concurrent systems separated with a digital KVM switch, but I'd feel like such a goob to have the kickass new box running XP and the sad old one running Linux.

Thanks for the info, Darat and Zep and steve and Iain . . . anything else you wanna discuss re dual-booting etc?
 
It can be done as you describe, LFTKBS, but you had better be ULTRA-sure what is going to happen. Get it wrong and it's a way bigger hassle than just reinstalling one OS.

That way be dragons, aaargh!

pirate.jpg
 
All right, to hell with it. I'm waiting until I build the new one. Thanks for the warning, yo. Windows is greedy.

Now, what to do with a 500MHz eMachine . . . other than make it a firewall. Bor-ing!
 
Web server, backup system, mail server, increase your income with lots of pictures that people will pay for server...
 
Hal is currently looking for a place to run the JREF Playground part of the forum!

Give him a call...
 
LFTKBS said:
Just partitioning it isn't the problem, I don't think. I figured I'd create a new partition w/ Yast and then install XP on it, but you're right when you say that I'm concerned about Windows deciding it doesn't want the filthy Linux and deleting the partition along with the MBR.

Maybe I'm just being stupid and paranoid.

Probably the best thing is two concurrent systems separated with a digital KVM switch, but I'd feel like such a goob to have the kickass new box running XP and the sad old one running Linux.

Thanks for the info, Darat and Zep and steve and Iain . . . anything else you wanna discuss re dual-booting etc?

Linux partitions are labeled differently than Windows partitions (OSes actually label the partition for just this reason). You can create a new partition, format it, and install Windows on it. Windows will ignore the other partition. The only trick is, Windows will overwrite the Master Boot record. To fix this, create a Linux boot disk, boot it back and run either lilo or grub to re-install *that* into the MBR, and add an entry to boot Windows as an option. It is a pain, but it is doable (the hard part is using the boot disk, you have to find and mount the original linux partition manually).
 
Zep said:
Hal is currently looking for a place to run the JREF Playground part of the forum!

Give him a call...

Somehow I don't think a 500MHz eMachine with 192M RAM and a faulty power supply is gonna cut it.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom