• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Drag Shows!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What point are you trying to make?

There have been a not-insignificant number of drag-storytime performers who have subsequently been arrested for either sex offenses against children or for possession of child pornography.

Not all of them, sure. But enough to be more than a one-off "oopsie!".
 
There have been a not-insignificant number of drag-storytime performers who have subsequently been arrested for either sex offenses against children or for possession of child pornography.

Not all of them, sure. But enough to be more than a one-off "oopsie!".

Source?
 
The library admitted they ****** up and they haven't done it since. You're right, it was a mistake and a careless one. The issue is rectified.

You're misunderstanding. This is not a careless mistake; the guy was collecting tax funded pay and didn't even pony up a ss#. My inner contractor smells a much wider rat.

I can't tell if the guy was affiliated with DSH. The Houston Library was using the trademarked name, so I provisionally assume so. That could mean DSH has not been running checks or valid ID for years, and might still be running that way.

...so what now? All DQSH have to be shut down because one time someone slipped through the cracks?

If you trouble yourself to actually read the posts you are replying to, I am not suggesting anything be shut down. I'm trying to wrap my head around what they are doing and why.

"It's really important that we have men dressed like women to read stories" falls a little flat. Having a variety of colorful characters, including some DQs? Sure. But pounding your fist down and screaming "NO! Only men dressed as women!" does not have that vibe.

What other gender-presented-restricted-themed story hours does the Houston Library run, for instance?
 
If you trouble yourself to actually read the posts you are replying to, I am not suggesting anything be shut down. I'm trying to wrap my head around what they are doing and why.

"It's really important that we have men dressed like women to read stories" falls a little flat. Having a variety of colorful characters, including some DQs? Sure. But pounding your fist down and screaming "NO! Only men dressed as women!" does not have that vibe.

Oh. Well. Here you go.
 
Seems a little incredible that you would not have a policy of checking pretty thoroughly that the man you were going to put in close proximity to young children was not...you know...a convicted child molester.

...snip...

Serious question - is such a check legally required for that type of event? Thinking of it as a performance there is no requirement on theatres and so on in the UK. It also depends on whether the parents/guardians are there. I suspect that drag time story hour would not require a check in the UK, it would fall under something like the "....teaching or training a child as a one-off in the company of parents does not require a DBS check... " exception.
 
There have been a not-insignificant number of drag-storytime performers who have subsequently been arrested for either sex offenses against children or for possession of child pornography.

Not all of them, sure. But enough to be more than a one-off "oopsie!".

Evidence - and is it higher than the general population rate? (I'm assuming it is going to be lower because the drag performers are not going to be the kids' parents or a close family member/ family friend.)
 
Last edited:
You're misunderstanding. This is not a careless mistake; the guy was collecting tax funded pay and didn't even pony up a ss#. My inner contractor smells a much wider rat.

I can't tell if the guy was affiliated with DSH. The Houston Library was using the trademarked name, so I provisionally assume so. That could mean DSH has not been running checks or valid ID for years, and might still be running that way.



If you trouble yourself to actually read the posts you are replying to, I am not suggesting anything be shut down. I'm trying to wrap my head around what they are doing and why.

"It's really important that we have men dressed like women to read stories" falls a little flat. Having a variety of colorful characters, including some DQs? Sure. But pounding your fist down and screaming "NO! Only men dressed as women!" does not have that vibe.
What other gender-presented-restricted-themed story hours does the Houston Library run, for instance?

Come off it Thermal you know that's a strawman.
 
Serious question - is such a check legally required for that type of event? Thinking of it as a performance there is no requirement on theatres and so on in the UK. It also depends on whether the parents/guardians are there. I suspect that drag time story hour would not require a check in the UK, it would fall under something like the "....teaching or training a child as a one-off in the company of parents does not require a DBS check... " exception.

That's a fair point. When my kids were in elementary school, the school chess team got a visit from two of the competitors in the US chess championship. We didn't do a background check on them or anything. And we had several parent volunteers with them and the kids at all times.

I'm guessing there isn't a library story hour ever that doesn't also have library staff present at all times, regardless of who is reading.
 
Ya I linked to the same site upthread. The boilerplate language does not remotely answer anything I asked.

Of course it does. It is explicitly what they are doing and why.

For example:
Why is this necessary?
DSH helps children develop empathy, learn about gender diversity and difference, and tap into their own creativity. DSH can also be life-changing and ultimately life-saving for LGBTQ kids and teens, kids with LGBTQ parents or family members, and anyone who feels different because of their identity or interests or who may not otherwise see themselves reflected in the broader culture.
 
Serious question - is such a check legally required for that type of event? Thinking of it as a performance there is no requirement on theatres and so on in the UK. It also depends on whether the parents/guardians are there. I suspect that drag time story hour would not require a check in the UK, it would fall under something like the "....teaching or training a child as a one-off in the company of parents does not require a DBS check... " exception.

I don't live in TX, but in my fair NJ, you certainly have to pass a background check to work for any level paid out of taxpayer funds in any municipality.

An exception might be is that if he was hered as a temp contractor under a certain dollar amount, his pay might fall under a discretionary "slush budget" for entertainment, like party decorations.
 
Come off it Thermal you know that's a strawman.

Come off it Darat, you know that is simple hyperbole.

I checked a little on the library's site, and found no other themed readings except our intrepid men who must be dressed as women event. Seems a tad focused.
 
I don't live in TX, but in my fair NJ, you certainly have to pass a background check to work for any level paid out of taxpayer funds in any municipality.

...snip..

Really? I'm always astonished at the level of intrusion into a person's personal life we will accept. Over here there is an obligation to provide details of any criminal convictions you may have (with a load of exceptions) but required background checks are only on a "as strictly needed" base.
 
Come off it Darat, you know that is simple hyperbole.

I checked a little on the library's site, and found no other themed readings except our intrepid men who must be dressed as women event. Seems a tad focused.

Are there other organizations that create themed story hours?
 
Of course it does. It is explicitly what they are doing and why.

For example:

Is a definition for "boilerplate language" really called for here?

The audience is 5 year olds. They likely wouldn't recognize a man in convincing drag, much less understand it in any meaningful way.
 
Is a definition for "boilerplate language" really called for here?

The audience is 5 year olds. They likely wouldn't recognize a man in convincing drag, much less understand it in any meaningful way.

Ya know, this reminds me of a different time when you made up your mind and would respond to any evidence contrary to your conclusion by saying "bag of dildos". Eventually, a year or two later it became too much to pretend that it was a "bag of dildos" and were forced to re-examine your faithfully held conclusion.

Is "boilerplate language" the new "bag of dildos"?
 
Really? I'm always astonished at the level of intrusion into a person's personal life we will accept. Over here there is an obligation to provide details of any criminal convictions you may have (with a load of exceptions) but required background checks are only on a "as strictly needed" base.

I have had to pass background checks to work in municipal buildings, school's, and hospitals as a flipping building contractor, just doing repairs and improvements with no contact with staff or others, often when working alone in off hours. I am actually on a handed-around short list of "clean guys" who pass anything, including drug tests.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom