• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Drag Shows!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's because it has nothing to do with my posts or the thread topic. Productive discussion does seem to be in the rear view mirror, though.

Sure, guys dressed as women entertaining children has nothing whatsoever to do with guys dressed as women entertaining children.
 
Last edited:
Here's the Wikipedia entry on Pantomime Dames
A pantomime dame is a traditional role in British pantomime. It is part of the theatrical tradition of travesti portrayal of female characters by male actors in drag. Dame characters are often played either in an extremely camp style, or else by men acting butch in women's clothing. They usually wear heavy make up and big hair, have exaggerated physical features, and perform in an over-the-top style.
So, yeah, not at all like drag.
 
Ok, let's try that. Is drag highly popular? No. Nor is it middlingly popular. Nor niche popular. It's freaking obscure.
Earlier in this thread I was researching drag brunches in Texas thinking I would only find one. No, many of them and that's just the brunches. On Texas.

As I said, highly popular.

Mockery is hardly the sincerest form of flattery.
Drag shows don't mock women.
Finally, is over the top flamboyant female attire (see the DSH home page below) associated with children's story time?
Yes, of course. I already pointed out that generations of children have been traditionally entertained by men in over the top flamboyant female attire.
Drag Shows, according to Wiki and elsewhere, are pretty exclusively for adult audiences.
As I have said before, I first encountered drag as family entertainment, people like Danny la Rue and similar on prime time family shows on the telly. Sixty or so years ago
 
Sorry, you lost me there. I had to go back and re-read the Membership Agreement. Wouldn't what be against which rule?

We're going off topic here but very quickly.

Assuming you were going to judge them based solely on their responses, which it turns out wasn't the case, then it may have fallen foul of rule 12.

You may or may not agree but this is not the place to discuss it further so I won't.
 
As I have said before, I first encountered drag as family entertainment, people like Danny la Rue and similar on prime time family shows on the telly. Sixty or so years ago

Me too. And more recently too, in a different way, with Cissie and Ada, on the Les Dawson shows, who were sort of pantomime dame meets (middle-class) Danny la Rue.

As an aside, Ada does remind me of Annie Walker, the original landlady of the Rovers Return in early Coronation Street!
 
You are assuming that you are representative of your neighbourhood. You probably aren't.

Most people aren't haters. I worked next to a Texan Republican voter for about two years. He was anything but a hater (with Hillary Clinton being the exception, he couldn't stand her).

Yeah, a lot of conservatives are intimidated and petrified by intelligent, strong women. I mean, look at who they nominated for VP: Sarah Palin. And they just re-elected MTG and Boebert. That's more their style.
 
Yeah, a lot of conservatives are intimidated and petrified by intelligent, strong women.


Is that the rumor you heard? Those are the kind of women I find most attractive. It is unwise to generalize beliefs, but I am confident, here in the sticks, that most people are not into Drag Queens. Figuratively, or literally.
 
Last edited:
Is that the rumor you heard? Those are the kind of women I find most attractive. It is unwise to generalize beliefs, but I am confident, here in the sticks, that most people are not into Drag Queens. Figuratively, or literally.
I don't think my friend was intimidated by strong intelligent women either, it was Hillary Clinton in particular that he didn't like. He told me in detail why, but I don't recall exactly.
 
Is that the rumor you heard? Those are the kind of women I find most attractive. It is unwise to generalize beliefs, but I am confident, here in the sticks, that most people are not into Drag Queens. Figuratively, or literally.
Then don't go to drag shows or let your dependants go to drag shows. Don't tell people who do want to go that their form of entertainment is banned because you don't like it.
 
Then don't go to drag shows or let your dependants go to drag shows. Don't tell people who do want to go that their form of entertainment is banned because you don't like it.


I have clearly stated that I don't support banning the shows, or even making them unavailable to children. I just want the children to be required to have a parent or legal guardian with them, so they can help the child understand mature themes. In other words, help them separate fantasy from reality.
 
Me too. And more recently too, in a different way, with Cissie and Ada, on the Les Dawson shows, who were sort of pantomime dame meets (middle-class) Danny la Rue.

As an aside, Ada does remind me of Annie Walker, the original landlady of the Rovers Return in early Coronation Street!

For me Cissie and Ada isn't really "drag" as in the "glamorous" dress-up drag we are talking about in this thread. It was two comedic actors playing characters, characters that were funny because they were based on the familiar, like you say Ada was much like the faux-middle class Annie Walker when Coronation Street was still meant to be a "kitchen sink" drama series. Those characters would have worked equally well played by comedic female actors (and British TV especially back then had many female actors playing such characters).
 
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why a person reading children's books to children may or may not be appropriate, depending on what kind of clothes that person is wearing.

You tell me. You can't think of anything predictable that might go wrong? Think hard.[IMGw=800]http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1464&pictureid=13280[/IMGw]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Not all drag shows are burlesque.

Are you in the U.S.? You're not, are you? Australia, isn't it? Ever been to the U.S.? Are you familiar with U.S. street culture? Club culture? Early to mid 1990s NYC club culture in particular? The Limelight, The Tunnel? Do you know what a club kid is? Michael Alig ring a bell? Know anything about the history of drag in the U.S.? Know any alternative terms for "drag queen"? What do drag queens do when they aren't performing? Do you know why the reading-stories-to-kids queens have a very different look than the comedic-variety-show-for-adults-only queens? Have you seen any of the drag shows I'm discussing, which are happening IN THE U.S.? No? Then why the hell are you repeatedly typing "Aaaaaaaaackshualllly pedantic irrelevant incorrect nonsense!" at me? Suppose your country was in crisis. Let's say a critical vegemite shortage. I elbow my way into your conversation "Aaaaaaaaacksssshuaaaaaalllyyyyyy not all kangaroos are marsupials!" Would that be on topic?
 
I have clearly stated that I don't support banning the shows, or even making them unavailable to children. I just want the children to be required to have a parent or legal guardian with them, so they can help the child understand mature themes. In other words, help them separate fantasy from reality.

Given that these events are at public libraries and aimed at children in the 5-8 yo range, parents pretty much have to be in attendance. In this hyper vigilant and paranoid urban world we live in there's not a lot of parents who would send their kids out alone for anything much less an event like DQSH which has a high probability of attracting protesters and counter-protesters.
 
You tell me. You can't think of anything predictable that might go wrong? Think hard.[IMGw=800]http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1464&pictureid=13280[/IMGw]

What point are you trying to make?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom